7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 7:08 AM by A.T. Romano

PSD files into Premier Elements?

Lavonatodd@aol.com Level 1

I have used Photohop Elements for years. I am familiar with it, do I need to resize a PSD file before taking it into Premier Elements to add to a video project?

• 1. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lavonatodd

What version of Premiere Elements do you use and on what computer operating system is it running? What is a description of your computer resources?

The classical answer to your question

SD project, the pixel dimensions should not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape orientation).

HD project, the pixel dimensions should not exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels (landscape orientation)

The classical answer can be stretched to a certain degree depending on the computer resources and how many of these photos are going into the project. Consider, however large the resolution is for your photos, they will always be reduced to the dimensions of the export format.

Are you thinking about importing/exporting Sony XAVC-S video codec (and sizing of 4K) files where the pixel dimensions involved are 3840 x 2160 pixels with Premiere Elements 12? That is new to Premiere Elements 12 and has not met up with classical recommendations yet.

ATR

• 2. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Resize it to the pixel dimensions of the video project if you aren't doing any pan and zoom.  Go up to no more than about 40% larger if you will be doing pan and zoom.

• 3. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lavonatodd

Since pan and zoom was not mentioned in your original post, I put off any consideration of it in my initial reply.

The situation may be such that photo resize may not be necessary with or without a pan and zoom workflow.

Please check out the workflow that Steve Grisetti is suggesting for pan and zoom effect with the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool.

http://www.lynda.com/Elements-tutorials/Creating-motion-path-Pan-Zoom-tool/109763/117259-4 .html

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?

Thanks, I am wanting to put some scrapbooking pages (with several photos,frames,  text and etc.on the album page), created in Photoshop 11 into Premier Elements 11 with a video project. I know there is a "flatten" choice in Elements that I think will reduce the size of the file, but cannot be edited after that. Does the entire scrapbook page layout need to be at 1000 X 750 pixels?  If I import from Photoshop Elemetns into Premier Elements will it set the size automatically, or give guidelines? I am using a PC with Windows 7.

Thanks, Lavona

• 5. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lavona

What is the size of your scrapbook page in Photoshop Elements 12 - 12 inches by 12 inches document. If so, we need to know the pixel dimensions for the scrapbook page (width and height in pixels). Inches have no meaning in video. Does your plan include any possibilities for a 4:3 or 16:9 scrapbook page?

What is your intended export for your Timeline content - burn to disc (DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc OR file saved to the computer hard drive in a video format?

Video is typically 4:3 or 16:9 in constrast to what you may have, that is, 12 inches x 12 inches at 300 pixels/inch which would be 3600 x 3600 pixels. And, one usually sets the project preset to match the properties of the source media. There is no project preset to match those dimensions.

Is your project going to consist of only these scrapbook pages? If so, the following should be noted.

All Premiere Elements projects have to have a project preset. The default for Premiere Elements 12 is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (1920 x 1080 pixels) or its PAL counterpart. If there is no project preset to match the properties of your source, then you could end up with your image with black borders. (The black borders could be filled in by placing a background on Video 1 and your scrapbook page of Video 2 directly above that background on Video 1. In that way, the background would show through the black (transparency) areas in the scrapbook).

However...

There is a preference which lets you direct the program to import the source (your scrapbook page) and automatically scale it to the frame size of the project preset. This is the case that I described above. But the preferences can also be set to disable this option called "Default Scale to Frame Size". In your case, what you will see with this option disabled, is your image zoomed in the Edit area monitor. Then you can scale it down to fit the space provided for it in the Edit area monitor. This would cut off some of your page. You could decide what you wanted shown. And, if you scale to fit it all into the frame, black borders.

Now if the situation were that you had video sources and wanted to include your scrapbook pages in the presentation, then I would set the project preset to match the video properties and then fit the scrapbook pages to that project preset. Filling in some more details would allow me to fine tune.

But, back to your original question of sizing of those .psd scrapbook pages....which are probably 3600 x 3600. I suspect that the practical answer is going to be import them as is and let the program resize, allowing for black borders to be filled in my a background of some sorts. But, how many of those 3600 x 3600 pixels you can import without stressing out the project will depend on your computer resources and just how many of these scrapbook pages are to be used.

The above is my take on the details that you have described thus far.

Please review and consider and then let me know if you have questions or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....For now, please ignore the mention of 1000 x 750 pixels 4:3 until we define your project to a great extent.

• 6. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?

ATR,

Thanks so much for all the time you have given this reply.  I appreciate it very much.

I am using version 11 in both Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements. My scrapbook pages are 12 x 12.

My plan is to burn to a CD our family heritage.  I will start with some very old family photos and the project will probably be 75 to 80% photos and 20 - 25% video.

I learned from Bob Peru (Adobe Community ) in Feb. that I can use background papers and frames, etc. in Premier by putting them on the different tracks.

My thoughts were that since I was very efficient in Photoshop Elements that I could do most of the work there, but maybe I need to spend time being more knowledgeable about Premier Elements. That might be time well spent rather than going through hoops with scrapbook pages.

Before I get really in-depth with this project, do you see any advantage to using versions 12. I have already thought about buying the combo pack with both Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements.

Thanks again, this has been very beneficial to me.

Lavona

• 7. Re: PSD files into Premier Elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lavona

Thanks for the reply.

Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 should be able to handle the task described. I see no need to move to version 12.

Except for this first paragraph, the rest is a TV viewing traditional type answer. But, depending on your decision on how you want to view your presentation, please consider Elements Organizer 11/Share/Online Album (with selected theme) and then Export to CD/DVD. Have you looked at that yet? Of note with this way, the videos included  will need to be converted to flv (can be done in Premiere Elements 11).  I have found ordering of the files for viewing is best accomplished by putting the photos and videos in a Elements Organizer 11 Album before heading for Elements Organizer/Share/Online Album.  Go with the original sizing to start.

But, onward to the traditional answer that would be pointed toward the TV viewing possibilities…..

Your inclusion of videos and photos (scrapbook pages) and maintaining order more or less forces you into a program such a Premiere Elements in order to put your videos and photos together into a video format on a DVD or Blu-ray disc. Depending on your intended player, an export to file to be saved to a memory card or USB Flash Drive might be used to insert into the player which had the appropriate support.

• Premiere Elements (any version) does not burn to CD disc.
                      • Photoshop Elements  does not edit videos.
                      • Elements Organizer does allow you to burn photos and videos to CD or DVD (but not DVD-VIDEO on DVD)…See datadisc  opportunites as well as Elements Organizer/Share/Online Albums
                      • Elements Organizer 11 will give the opportunity for VCD format on CD disc (This video format has extremely low resolution – NTSC 352 x 240 and PAL 352 x 288 pixels.)
                      • Photoshop Elements alone cannot produce the step up from VCD on CD that is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (NTSC 720 x 480 and PAL 720 x 576 pixels).

I think that I have aluded to the following in a prior post in your thread.

I would confirm the properties of your video files to be included in this project. You can get a readout from MediaInfo or gspot.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Set up your project preset to match those properties. Set up with disabled “Default Scale to Frame Size” coupled with scaling media in Edit area monitor. Consider what I suggested previously about how you might use Premiere Elements for your project.

Do the mini test runs before the grand project.

Once you had this CD where did you intend to play it? Solely on the computer?

There are all sorts of variation that can be factored in. But let us start here and then weigh the pros and cons of the project.

Thank you.

ATR