4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2007 1:50 PM by abeall

Gradient Line / fading line

simey70 Level 1
      Hello, this is simple query - but all i want to do is draw a small line, that fades from a colour, to white - i would have thought a gradient can do this, but cant see anything obvious (its late and im tired!!) I can do it in flash no problem.

Hope someone can help ! cheers
        • 1. Re: Gradient Line / fading line
          Level 7
          simey70 wrote:
          > Hello, this is simple query - but all i want to do is draw a small line, that
          > fades from a colour, to white - i would have thought a gradient can do this,
          > but cant see anything obvious (its late and im tired!!) I can do it in flash no
          > problem.
          >
          > Hope someone can help ! cheers
          >

Hi,

Use the rectangle tool to draw a thin rectangle (say 3px in height) and
          give it a linear gradient.

HTH

--
          chin chin
          Sinclair
          • 2. Re: Gradient Line / fading line
            simey70 Level 1
            is there anyway to use the line tool though? i have already tried the rectangle tool, but its to thick - i need the line to be 1px
            • 3. Re: Gradient Line / fading line
              Level 7
              simey70 wrote:
              > is there anyway to use the line tool though? i have already tried the rectangle tool, but its to thick - i need the line to be 1px

Reduce the size of the rectangle to 1 pixel.

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              • 4. Re: Gradient Line / fading line
                abeall Level 3
                > is there anyway to use the line tool though? i have already tried the rectangle tool, but its to thick - i need the line to be 1px

You can't apply a gradient to a stroke, unfortunately.

For the rectangle, if it's too thick, you can simple reduce its size to 1px or 2px or whatever you want. The easiest way to do this is probably to just set its width or height in the Property panel(Window > Properties) with the rectangle selected. You could also use numeric transform(Modify > Transform > Numeric Transform)

A rectangle doesn't work if you want a curvy line, of course. In that case, you could create a rectangle with a gradient, then use a white line as a mask set to use greyscale appearance.