12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 8:18 AM by L Prickitt

Can't set in/out points on timeline

L Prickitt

Hello there. I have just downloaded the trial version of Premiere Elements 12, which looks like it might have everything I want in a video editor except... it doesn't seem to have ability to set In/Out points (no button exists and  hitting I/O has no affect, despite being on their list of keyboard  shortcuts). I'm clearly not doing something right. Not being able to  edit quickly via I/O/X feels like being in a car without a steering  wheel. Please help!!

• 1. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Prickitt

Please clarify.

If you are in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace and double click the thumbnails of an import in Project Assets, do you not then see the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points?

And, if you drag a file from Project Assets to the Timeline and double click the file there, do you not then see the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points?

Keep out of the Quick workspace for this one.

But, review

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA27F29AF-97BB-4bdc-AF98-65113182EDF6. html#WSD58726BC-ED8A-41a9-B957-C7F0021FAB6C

Differences Expert and Quick...

The Quick workspace does not have the Project Assets pallette. Here in Quick, you trim at the Filmstrip level with the Trim In and Trim Out icons.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
            L Prickitt Level 1

Thanks so much for the info, ATR, but can I clarify that I can only set in/out points in the Preview Window (where I do see the buttons now, thanks)?

So there is no 2-point editing allowed on the timeline in Adobe Premiere Elements? I can only use the mouse to edit within the timeline itself? If so, that's really disappointing - slows down my entire editing workflow greatly -  please say I've misunderstood!!

• 3. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

L. Prickitt

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if we are in sync on all the information, so please allow me to mention....

Premiere Elements 12 has two workspaces, Expert and Quick ...putting aside the perks of Guided Expert and Guided Quick.

Quick workspace does not offer a Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points; whereas, Expert does.

You can trim the content at the TImeline level in both Quick and Expert.

So, I am not sure where you are at when you write

So there is no 2-point editing allowed on the timeline in Adobe Premiere Elements? I can only use the mouse to edit within the timeline itself? If so, that's really disappointing - slows down my entire editing workflow greatly -

The Expert workspace with its Timeline is often preferred since it has more features than Quick. It allows you to see better what is there and thus have more control. And, importantly Quick does not always reflect what is seen in Expert. And, toggling between the two workspaces can be misleading at times.

Please let me know if we are OK on the details being discussed. Please let me know where you are not clear on the differences between what I have presented and what you are understanding. I will rewrite to clarify further if necessary.

Have you read the included link?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                L Prickitt Level 1

Thanks so much for the quick response ATR - I'm desperate to get this sorted out asap as I've spent hours puzzling over which video editing software to buy. Let me try to explain what I want to be able to do while editing:

- Drop video, sound and voice over clips onto the timeline (either with a mouse or shortcut keys)

- In the timeline trim the clips most effeciently (for me, anyway) by marking an In Point (by clicking on the I key) and then an Out Point (by clicking on the O key), then deleting the clip (by clicking on X or delete key).

I have been a news video editor for years and this is how I quickly trim my rushes and voice over into a packaged story. I have become very fast by NOT using the mouse. I love shortcut keys, most essentially are I/O/X on a timeline (not a special preview window which makes no sense for an efficient workflow to me). For work I have always Avid (or FCP). But I'm looking for something to use at home, hence me trialling Premiere Elements 12. Being able to trim clips with in/out points (via shortcut keys) on the timeline is essential to me.

Is this something I can do in Premiere? Thanks again for your time and helpfulness!

• 5. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With a slightly different workflow, you should be able to get what you want.

In Expert Mode, instead of dragging the Imported Asset to the Timeline first, Dbl-click on the Clip in the Assets Panel. That will open it in a separate monitor. In that monitor, you can set the In & Out Points there via the keyboard, or with the mouse. When done, drag that Instance of the Clip to the Timeline. If you are only extracting that one Instance, you would then open the next Clip in that monitor, by Dbl-clicking on it.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

L Prickitt

I have already pointed out to you the Premiere Elements 12 ways to trim clips in Expert and Quick - including the Expert workspace Project Assets double click of file thumbnail there to bring up the Preview Window as well as the Quick workspace maneuvers.

I have observed that the I and O shortcuts work only after the Preview Windows is evoked in Expert workspace by double clicking the file in either Project Assets or on the Timeline. There are different considerations when Preview Windows is used and brought up in those two different ways - from Project Assets vs Timeline. You really do want to be double clicking the file in Expert workspace Project Assets to bring up the Preview Window for your trims.

However, whether in Expert (Timeline) or Quick workspace (Filmstrip), you can drag the edges of the clip to get a trim.

Your recent post (4) defines what you want to do.

- Drop video, sound and voice over clips onto the timeline (either with a mouse or shortcut keys)

- In the timeline trim the clips most effeciently (for me, anyway) by marking an In Point (by clicking on the I key) and then an Out Point (by clicking on the O key), then deleting the clip (by clicking on X or delete key).

I would ask this. You cite prior experience in what you want to do. What program did you use - was it other than some version of Premiere Elements?

I cannot see what you want to be done in Premiere Elements without bringing up and using the Preview Window which may be taking away the quick style that you described for getting this task done. Again, you cannot use I and O as you cite in the absence of the Preview Window.

Please consider. Knowing the program that you worked with previously would help in the understanding on my side. I have looked at prior versions of Premiere Elements and cannot see what you describe. So, I want to be sure I am not overlooking something.

We will be watching for further information in the hope that we can put together some sort of compromise workflow.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                      L Prickitt Level 1

Thanks a lot for both your replies.

I have been a longtime AVID user, as well as Edius and occasionally FCP. In those programs you can edit directly on the timeline using in/out points to trim or delete marked out clips. Thus one can very rapidly go through footage or voice overs and trim unwanted frames using I/O/X keys (even if you have to change the keyboard shortcuts to the I/O/X configuration). There are also keys that allow you to Go To your In/Out markers for even more speed and ease. I just find using the mouse or separate windwos for this clunky.

It seems like this is sadly not available on Adobe Premiere Elements? Which is a real shame because all other aspects of it seem pretty cool...

• 8. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

L.Prickitt

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful in giving me insights into what your Premiere Elements features expectations were based on.

I do not work for Adobe and am not affiliated with it in anyway. Just a user to user with no promotional interests. But....

Depending on the time crunch aspects of the matter, you might want to give Premiere Elements 12 a look based on what it can do and how it does it. You have years of conditioning with the other programs. That is not easily put aside and wiped away. There may be a trade off to be found between customizing your trim workflow maximally and taking advantage of other Premiere Elements import, editing, and export features.

Best wishes on whatever your video editing decisions.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                          L Prickitt Level 1

It is true Adobe Premiere Elements has a lot going for it (mostly that it can open my avi files!).

And it is true I'm "conditioned" to a particular work flow and should be a little more adaptable when necessary. But in my defence, three-point editing (or two-point and four-point editing), as I've been describing above, is quite common industry standard of editing for many (not all!) professional editors. Many of us find using keyboard short cuts a quicker and more satisfactory approach to editing, whether up against the clock or not.

But after doing a lot of research (and downloading about five different trial programs!), it seem two-three-four-point editing is the preserve of the next level, slightly more expensive, video editing software programs. In fact, I believe Adobe Pro has this function. It's just a bit over my budget at the moment.

So for now I'll either have to suffer through mouse-based editing programs or fork out three times as much on something a little more sophisticated, I guess.

But thanks a whole heap for helping me with all the info!

• 10. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

L Prickitt

Thanks for the follow up.

You might want to look into what seems to be the new wave of Adobe marketing, the month to month "subscription" rather than the purchased license. For the more expensive Adobe, subscription seems to be the only way now for most, if not all.

Lots to consider. Whatever your decision. Best wishes.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

three-point editing (or two-point and four-point editing), as I've been describing above, is quite common industry standard of editing for many (not all!) professional editors. Many of us find using keyboard short cuts a quicker and more satisfactory approach to editing, whether up against the clock or not.

You are correct. That is why it is extensively supported in PrPro, even going so far as to offer an additional monitor, just for Trimming. However, PrE is aimed at a totally different market - the consumer, and many,with zero, or limited video editing experience. PrPro will allow exactly what you want, and the CC (Creative Cloud) version has expanded the keyboard commands beyond what they were in CS6.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Can't set in/out points on timeline
                                L Prickitt Level 1

Gotcha. Thanks for the confirmation. I wish I'd known all this five days ago... Anyway, I am actually contemplating buying Adobe Pro afterall. But, sigh, I've gone through to downloaded the trial, but Adobe PrPro isn't on the list of Apps on the Creative Cloud installer/selector! Errrggh. I'm beginning to think editing from home is not meant to be!