2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 6:37 AM by stuartr

Can't transform vector mask (path) independently from layer.

denniskestelle

Hello all,

I've jumped from CS5 to CC and I notice working with vector masks (drawing a path on a layer) works completely different.

I've got 2 issues, I can't seem to find a solution for:

Issue 1: When I draw a path on a layer it becomes a mask for that layer.

I can unlock the path from the layer in the Layers panel, but I can't deselect the layer itself. So I can't transform the path independently from the picture it is masking.

When I use the transform tool, I can only transform the layer itself or layer + path, never the path alone. The only way to do this is with the 'direct selectiont tool', and selecting every point. That's rather inconvenient.

Issue 2: When drawing a shape, you can't "unlock" the layer mask (path) from the layer, because now it is one icone/thumbnail. Which isn't a big problem, but it kind of fits in my workflow to do this sometimes.

Any help? Something I'm not seeing?

• 1. Re: Can't transform vector mask (path) independently from layer.
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

denniskestelle wrote:

Hello all,

I've jumped from CS5 to CC and I notice working with vector masks (drawing a path on a layer) works completely different.

I've got 2 issues, I can't seem to find a solution for:

Issue 1: When I draw a path on a layer it becomes a mask for that layer.

Not on my machine you must be adding the path to the layer as a vector  layer mask perhaps clicking the layer mask icon. Here is what I see on my machine. Or your creating a shape layer and not drawing a path on the layer. Look at the mode in the tool option bar was you draw the path.

Capture.jpg

Here I transformed the path. Then I change the Path mode to be of the head not the background. Then clicked the mask button in the tool option bar to add the path as a vector mask.

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Can't transform vector mask (path) independently from layer.
            stuartr

My company have recently changed from CS4 to CC and I find the omission of the vector scale handles really slows me down, having to ctrl-T each time to edit scale and tick confirm. Also, when layers are linked you cannot edit the scale of one of the vectors in a mask layer, you have to unlink first, otherwise you edit all the layers. It seems to be a down grade from CS4 unless someone can suggest there is a new method I need to learn. I expect there will be a work around.