5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 7:39 AM by ssprengel

Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW

ovbg

Hello, I have Photoshop CC (always kept up to date), and I would like to add some lens profiles to the camera RAW section. When I select Camera RAW, Lens correction, then Canon, I can not see the lens I actually want, EF16-35 II for the 5DII. This is a very common lens and I have no idea why it is missing.

Do I need to update this somehow manually?

(I can see this lens in Photoshop CC, and the Lens filter, but I want/need it in Camera RAW)

• 1. Re: Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you editing a JPG?  Most Adobe lens profiles are only for raw files.

• 2. Re: Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW
            ovbg Level 1

Tiff actually. (HDR composition) Could this be the reason?

• 3. Re: Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW

Yes that is the reason.  Wouldn’t a lens profile normally be applied to the individual raw images before creating the HDR?  It seems like the vignetting correction would be wrong if you try to apply it to a 32-bit version of the image, and that slight changing in alignment during the stacking process would also invalidate the geometric distortion, somewhat, depending on how much misalignment there was between the various frames and how much cropping might have been applied to remove ragged edges of the misalignments. 

It is possible to hack a raw lens profile into a non-raw profile by changing the is-raw indicator from true to false near the top of the .lcp file and placing that .lcp file in the user lens profile folder.

• 4. Re: Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW
                ovbg Level 1

Thanks for the answer.

Actually, I would love to attack the RAW images first, work on white balance, lens control etc, but how do I save back as RAW? That is the problem. Any changes I make are not noticed by my external HDR application (Photomatix). I use this instead of Photoshop as the results are far more to my liking. But everything else I do in Photoshop CC.

If I could only save back as RAW.

• 5. Re: Need additional Lens Profiles in Camera RAW

So you use Photomatix to create a 32-bit HDR file and then tone that 32-bit file in ACR?  Are the Photomatix 32-bit files that much different than the PS-CC 32-bit files?  The Photomatix 32-to-16-bit conversion is quite a bit different and perhaps preferable, but I didn’t realize the 32-bit result file is also that much different.  It’s been a while since I’ve tried 32-bit HDRs and even longer since I’ve tried them in Photomatix so things may have changed or I’ve forgotten.

If you are using Photomatix, then you are not using an Adobe raw conversion at all, so Adobe settings and raw lens profiles are not seen and used at the initial raw-conversion stage in Photomatix.

The choices would seem to be that you can use Adobe products to create 16-bit TIFs as an input to Photomatix, or hack an Adobe raw lens profile to be used with non-raw files in ACR, or do your lens profile corrections after you’ve saved your 32-bit HDR image back as a 16-bit one and use the lens corrections area in Photoshop if that is still possible, nowadays.