7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 3:40 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.

Scott88

Hi,

I have exported a video for playback in windows media. The footage appears to be cropped when I play it back with black borders around the footage. Is there any way I can change this so that it fills the whole screen?

I am UK based and used a Panasonic HDC-SD900 to record the footage. My project settings are as follows:

Project settings.png

Below is a screen shot of my video when played back in Windows Media Pleayer:

Screen shot of video.png

Does anyone know how I can fix this for this video?

Thanks,

Scott.

• 1. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott,

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

From your screenshot it would appear that you are using a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 11.

Based on the details that you supplied, you are using the wrong project preset. The project preset in the new project dialog should match the properties of your source media. From what I have read of the Panasonic HDC-SD900, you are probably using 1920 x 1080 16:9 footage @ 25 frames per second. The audio seems to be 5.1 channel. Yet you have your PAL project preset at the default for versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11, that is, PAL DV Standard (4:3).

Assuming that you have interlaced footage 1080i instead of 1080p, start a new project with the project preset =

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25 5.1 channel

What is your export setting details? They should be for 1920 x 1080 16:9 and not for a 4:3 setup. Please post the details for what you want to do export wise,  and I will give you the full export settings based on those details.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
            Scott88 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for responding.

I want to export in Windows Media Player. It says:

"720p High Definition for playback on other PC's"

"Frame size: "1280 x 720"

"Frame rate [fps]: 25"

Is there anything I can do to fix this project? It took me a few days to edit and put together.

Thanks for your help,

Scott.

• 3. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott

The party line is that you cannot change project settings once they have been set. So you start a new project with the new project preset that matches the properties of your source media.

But, I did find a way to do what you want, but under certain conditions. My first impression is can do. I will work out the details specific to your situation and post them.

But, first check out the my blog post which contains the principles that I will use to accomplish what you want.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

Before I put this together for you, please confirm

a. that your source media is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced or progressive frames per second....need to know interlaced or progressive.

and

b. that the current project is using project preset PAL DV Standard.

and

c. you want an export with a 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second (using Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media.

More later.

ATR

If you have problems determining interlaced or progressive

a. check your camera settings

or

b. download the free MediaInfo to get the Scan Type readout for the video.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just be careful for carry alongs with the MediaInfo. These carry alongs have created browser problems.

• 4. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
                Scott88 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the quick response, please find the answers to your questions below:

A. It says on the camera 1920 x 1080 progressive. I have also taken a screen shot of the properties of one of my video clips. Please see below:

Clip details.png

B. Yes, my current settings are: DV PAL

C. I'm not sure to be honest. I want to be able to play back in windows media player but so the footage will fill the whole screen.

Thanks,

Scott.

• 5. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott

Thanks for the information. I will start work on this now and try to get your specific instructions posted in the next few hours.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
                    Scott88 Level 1

I meant to mention earlier as well, it is Premiere Elements 10 I am working with.

Thanks,

Scott.

• 7. Re: How do I get my footage to play in "full screen" once exported.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott

Please use the blog post as a guideline for the specifics to follow for changing the project settings for a Premiere Elements 10 project without starting a new project.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings- without.html

We are going to be going

FROM

Premiere Elements 10.

Project Preset = PAL DV Standard

TO

Premiere Elements 10

Project Preset = PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25

In the Notepad document for the saved closed Premiere Elements PAL DV Standard project, the following edits are needed:

In the Notepad document's Edit Menu/Find...

Type in PixelAspect

Then change Finds couples ONLY when you see exactly as indicated (do not be tempted by any look alikes)

FROM

<PixelAspectRatio>768,702</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect>0,0,720,576</FrameRect>

TO

<PixelAspectRatio>1,1</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect>0,0,1920,1080</FrameRect>

There should be 5 times when you make this type of change in the document.

Type in EditingMode

Then change

FROM

<EditingModeID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

TO

<EditingModeID>35d109db-457b-43c1-9452-9cb7be9f121c</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>35d109db-457b-43c1-9452-9cb7be9f121c</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

Although these two lines are not found together in the document, this is a one time change for each.

Type in field

Then change

FROM

<VideoFieldType>2</VideoFieldType>

TO

<VideoFieldType>0</VideoFieldType>

There should be 7 times that you make this type of change.

Also, find one instance of the following and change

FROM

<FieldType>2</FieldType>

TO

<FieldType>0</FieldType>

There should only 1 time that you make this type of change.

Premiere Elements 10 Edit Menu/Project Settings/General should confirm the results as well as your video with black border at top and bottom now presenting full 16:9 in the Edit area monitor.

BEFORE

Before.JPG

AFTER

AFTER.JPG

Work from a copy of the original Premiere Elements 10 project so you have a backup as a safety net as try out the instructions.

I road tested this three times according to your details, and the results were excellent, even getting down to 4:3 to 16:9 and Fields: Lower Field First (interlaced) to No Fields (Progressive).

Some find it easier just to start a new project, but please let us know if this works for you.

Thanks.

ATR.