Are these good specs for After effects CC

I will be using Element, Particular, Plexus etc

Case : Vantage Blue Midi Tower Case + 4 120mm Fans
      Power Supply : 500 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
      Motherboard : Gigabyte H81M-S2PV
      CPU : Intel I7 4th Gen 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz (turbo 3.9Ghz) CPU
      Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
      Memory : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Memory RAM
      Graphics Card : Geforce GTX 750 TI 2gb (sreen support for DVI / HDMI / VGA connection)
      Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
      Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
      Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound
      Software : Windows 8 Home 64 bit

I pretty much want a noticable improvment from these specs:

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

MAC PRO TOWER MID 2010

• 1. Re: Rate my system.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That power supply is seriously too small. A GTX 750 can consume up to 320 Watts under full throttle and an i7 up to 270 Watts. Unless you can be sure that you will never have a scenario where both units go on full burn, you might end up with a fried system sooner than later. And "better", higher wattage supplies can resist fluctuations in electricity better to begin with, helping your system's stability considerably...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rate my system.
            christian199212 Level 1

Cheers. You obvousily know what your talking about. What could you recommend me getting instead?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Rate my system.
              christian199212 Level 1

Power supply wise?

• 5. Re: Rate my system.
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Having a more powerful power supply is never a bad thing. 500 is about the minimum for any modern system. 750 or even more would not hurt a bit and will save you worries and the potential of a power supply failure. It will also not draw any more power than a 500 because only the power demanded by the system is supplied. The rating is only for the maximum available.

• 6. Re: Rate my system.
                  christian199212 Level 1

Thanks, so can afford to wait 2 months before upgrading the power supply as

I can't really afford to splash out on a 750 watt power supply at the

moment

• 7. Re: Rate my system.
                    christian199212 Level 1

can I***?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Christian Behling <

• 8. Re: Rate my system.
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When messing with electricity in any scenario, safer is better.

In your scenario, you're much less likely to have issues if you get a larger power supply. So get a larger power supply.

It won't do you any good to save money now and lose it all when it burns up vs. saving up a bit more and buying the proper stuff that will keep working for years.

• 9. Re: Rate my system.
                        christian199212 Level 1

Thank you everyone for your advice and I have asked for a 750 psu to be

installed.

So back to my specs. Will I see a big difference compared with my Mac Pro

in terms of Rendering etc....

• 10. Re: Rate my system.
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you saying that you want a single quad-core processor (the i7) to beat a machine with dual quad-core Xeon processors?

Granted, the clock speed is higher for the new machine, but if you're using a comp with multiprocessing turned on, the old machine may be faster.

• 11. Re: Rate my system.

Did I miss something? I don't see any specs for your old Mac Pro. How can we guess if it would be faster???

• 12. Re: Rate my system.
                              christian199212 Level 1

here are my old macpro specs as listed above. thanks

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

MAC PRO TOWER MID 2010

• 13. Re: Rate my system.

You have not picked a specifically supported graphics card but not specifically on the list so I don't know what kind influence the graphics card will have on PPro and your Graphics card is not on the list at all for After Effects so don't expect any help there if you are planning to use Ray-traced rendering.

I would stick with NVIDIA graphics cards if you have a choice.

I don't think you are going to see a big increase in rendering speed because you're really not gaining that much. Same number of total cores (8). To get quantum leaps in rendering speed takes a lot more than a processor upgrade. The buss speed, efficiency of the cache, the efficiency of the BIOS and the OS, and a bunch of other factors including how many right angles there are on the circuit board traces all effect the real rendering speed of a system. I don't have the time or inclination to dig up the complete system specs on your components, but if you are expecting renders that took 2 hours to take 1 you are probably going to be disappointed. I'd guess somewhere between a 5% and 15% increase in speed at best. I would love to be proven wrong.

There are a few benchmarks out there, and there's a new one running now. If I get a chance I'll dig up some links for those. Take a close look at them and try and make your best guess.

I have not built my own Windows machine for 8 years because factory built and optimized systems from major players like Dell, Alienware and HP far out performed anything I could cobble together and, frankly, the price difference between a built to order from some company with a few tech's in the back room sliding parts into a case and a fully engineered system by a manufacturer with a dedicated research team for their professional workstations is negligible. Customer Service, warranty repair, and turn around are much more important to me than saving a few hundred on a box. It would have to be a very great deal for me to even consider a built to order machine. I dropped two of the aforementioned manufacturers cold because their customer service went from barely acceptable to nearly non existent.

• 14. Re: Rate my system.
                                  christian199212 Level 1

hmmmm. thanks. Probably going to cancel my order now