6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 2:23 PM by Peter Spier

Place Text on a 3"x 5"

mjblanco322 Level 1

Hi!

I'm using InDesign CC. We need to lay in a 70 page text document into a 3"x 5" InDesign file. When I place it into a file that's 8.5x11, it flows in wonderfully. However, when I place it into the document size that I need it to be (3"x5"), it only places about 10% of the document and won't flow anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this?

-Marcia

• 1. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the last text box that places in your small document, and look at the story editor. Take a carefull look at the first thing after the Overset indicator in the Story Editor. Something there is either too large to fit your text box, or is maybe set to no-break. Whatever it is, it fit fine in the larger document, but is being pushed out of the smaller text box, and halting the flow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
            mjblanco322 Level 1

Thank you for this! I'll let you know how it goes but what you say makes a lot of sense.

• 3. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
              mjblanco322 Level 1

Hi! You were dead-on with this. The entire rest of the document was overset. Now what? Is there a way to reformat the file in InCopy so that it flows correctly? (I've never used InCopy). Or would it be better to eleiminate the formatting when I flow it into InDesign?

Thanks for your help on this, BTW. I really appreciate it.

• 4. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just check the formatting of whatever is at the beginning of the overset. Look for things like no-break, or too-long words set to not hypenate. Once you have found the source of the problem, you can repair the issue and restart the text flow by clicking the red overflow box, and then Shift-Option-Click on the next page.

• 5. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
                  mjblanco322 Level 1

Almost the entire document was overset. I ended up selecting all and changing the point size (dropping it to 9pt from 12pt) and the font from Myriad to Bodoni SvtyTwo. It worked like a charm. When I reloaded and flowed it, I ended up with 182 pages. (You can see how I really didn't want to do this manually.) Thank you for your help. I hope this helps others.

• 6. Re: Place Text on a 3"x 5"
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

mjblanco322 wrote:

Almost the entire document was overset.

Thats because it only takes a single line that won't fit to stop the text flow. Whatever was wrong was probably within the first half dozen or so words of overset text.

1 person found this helpful