13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 6:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates

rowbruce

My computer is using Windows 7 (64).  I used PE 8.0 for several years and then updated to PE 11 this past summer.  I had a DVD menu template that I liked stored in the correct folder for PE 8 and would like to use it with PE 11.  In PE 11 I downloaded all of the menu templates ( I think) but I have been unable to find the folder that they went to.  When I now right click on the menus in PE 11 I no longer have the option to download which makes me think that the download did in fact happen.  My plan was to copy the desired menu template from PE 8 over to the new folder in PE 11.  I have searched explorer for all of the common words that I can think of with no luck so far.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

What specific Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 disc menu template do your want to use in Premiere Elements 12. That will answer the question or lead us to the core of the matter.

Premiere Elements 11 comes with the Slideshow/Pan and Zoom theme complete at program installation. The rest of the disc menus assets are installed at installation as incomplete. To complete them, you need to go into the Movie Menu section of the opened project and download one or all so that the incomplete disc menu assets are completed and the menus ready for use.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

Please review the above and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
            rowbruce Level 1

The specific menu I want is one that I downloaded from some site a few

years ago.  It is not an Adobe menu.  I did download all of the menus but I

can not find the folder that they went to.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Were is this non Adobe menu now? When it was in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, you would need to have put it in the following location for it to work in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

Local Disk C

Program (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 8.0

DVD Templates

Common

and in the Common Folder are the category Folders. You had to either put your non Adobe menu assets in a Folder in one of those category folders OR create a category Folder in Common just for it. This new category Folder would then contain a folder with the assets for your non Adobe disc menu.

Did you do all that and did the non Adobe menu work for you and your project?

Now for wanting to use this non Adobe menu in Premiere Elements 11. Adobe Content downloads have nothing to do with this. You have to insert this menu into correct directory location and this menu and its assets must be supported by Premiere Elements. I do not know that to be the case yet. But, if it worked in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, maybe.

My blog post gave all the details on where the Content downloads and where the non Content disc menu goes. Have you read that and understood that? If not, I will clarify. Did you read this following excerpt from it

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

DVD Templates

Common

and in the Common Folder is the Slideshow category folder which contains the Pan and Zoom theme Folder which contains the assets for the Pan and Zoom theme

As an aside for user customizing an existing DVD Template or creating new one from scratch for Premiere Elements 11, the Common Folder in the above Program Files path would be the folder in which to place a new category folder/new theme folder/ with new theme folder containing the new theme's required files.

Right now the need to know

1. Where is this non Adobe menu now?

2. What assets does it include besides the .psd files for the main and scene menus?

3. Did the non Adobe menu ever work in Premiere Elements 8.0./8.0.1? Was the menu described by its creator as for Premiere Elements 4 or later? What is the base for the .psd files of the menu - PAL 720 x 576 standard or widescreen, 1440 x 1080 (s, w, hd)?

We will be looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                rowbruce Level 1

The menu is currently in:  Program files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements

8.0/DVD Templates/Common/General

There are 4 PSD files and 18 others all associated with this menu.

Yes this menu worked with PE 8 and I do not remember where I got it or what

the design criteria was.

I believe the base is 720 x 480 standard

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Thanks for the follow up.

If the menu is 720 x 480 based, it is unlikely to work in Premiere Element 3 through 12. All the disc menus since Premiere Elements 3 have had PAL sizing whether the menus were to be used in a PAL or NTSC system - not like Premiere Elements 2 where menus were created with NTSC and PAL sizing for the NTSC or PAL setup respectively. There are also folders/files nomenclature and locations to factor in.

But, if you say that your special menu worked in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, then let us give it a try in Premiere Elements 11. Either it works or does not. If not, then we can examine its construction to see where the flaws reside.

Given your disc menu assets in a folder named Theme X.

Take the folder for this menu (containing the .psd files for the main and scene menus), and place it in the following Premiere Elements 11 Windows path that I described in the blog post:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

DVD Templates

Common

in the Common Folder create a new "category" Folder named My Special Menus. In the My Special Menus Folder, place Theme X Folder.

Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace, Tools Menu/Movie Menu/ and see if your menu is now displayed as a thumbnail in the My Special Menus category/Theme X. If so, can you select the theme and click on Continue to move into the Movie Menu customization area of the program?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                    rowbruce Level 1

It works fine.  Just like the Adobe menus.  Thanks,

The part I am now confused about is what happened to all the standard menus

that I downloaded?  I expected them to show up in the same folder but they

are not there.  I have been making movies using the menus from Adobe one at

a time coming in on the web.  The problem I have is that sometimes I make a

movie and then go back to it a month later and the menu screen is not

there, so I have to recreate it.  Seems to me that if the files were stored

on the hard drive this would not happen.  I tried downloading as in you

blog and it looked like it was happening but I can't seem to find them.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Thanks for the follow up. I did not really expect your own menu to work based on its description.

First thing to do is to make sure the your have right clicked on the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 11 and selected Run as Administrator. This is in addition to running the program from a User Account with Administrative privileges.

Just focusing on the Adobe menus.....

What are you finding in the Online Folder for DVD Templates. Are all the folders there? Open one of the theme folders in the Online Folder route, a theme that you have not downloaded yet from within the program's Tools Menu/Movie Menu area. You should see no .psd files there to complete whatever is there now.

Now open the program to Expert workspace, Tools/Movie Menu and click on the thumbnail whose folder you just looked at in Online Folder route. Then right click the blue ban at the top right of the thumbnail, select Download Now. Wait for the download to complete. Can be time consuming. When completed, close out of there. Go back to the Online Folder route again, look in the theme folder involved here, and determine if it now contains .psd files.

I may not be targeting your question, especially when you write

The problem I have is that sometimes I make a

movie and then go back to it a month later and the menu screen is not

there, so I have to recreate it.

Does not mean

a. You create a project, applied menus, customize menus, save/close project, and a month later, when you reopen the project, your Movie Menu area looks like AutoPlay with customized menu no longer part of the project

or

b. You are expecting a given customized menu to retain its in project customizations when it is used in subsequent project moving forward. That is not the case. Customizations within the program are for a given project and are not permanent edits of the menus. If you want to make permanent changes of the menu, you have to do that at the .psd levels of the templates on the hard drive, using Photoshop CS or higher or some version of Photoshop Elements that you can find to open the Layer Sets of the theme's .psd files.

Please review the above and then we can decide if I am targeting your questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                        rowbruce Level 1

I cannot find a folder called OnLine.  Several hours ago I did the right

click and "download all" on the menus.  Now when I try to replicate it the

right click no longer has the option to download.

When I was explaining the lost menu it was for a specific project.  Let's

say I did a project and picked one of the standard menus and simply put a

title on it.  I would save the project and close it and then a month later

I would open the project and the standard menu I picked is no longer

there.  So I have to redo the menu for that project.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Are you working with Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" active so that you can see paths that might be hidden.

In Windows 7 64 bit, click on Start button. In the Search field above the Start button, type in Folder Options.

Then look to that top of the left side column where Folder Options should be listed.

Click on Folder Options shown there.

Then in the Folder Options dialog that appears, click on the View Tab.

Then scroll down through View until you reach Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives and dot that option.

Please let us know if that was the issue, that is, hidden folders and files.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                            rowbruce Level 1

I am done for the night.  I will try your suggestions tomorrow morning.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Thanks for continuing with the troubleshooting.

We will look forward to your results when you get the time. We will work through all the details to get to a resolution.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                                rowbruce Level 1

That did it.  With Folders Hidden I did not see the folder Program Data.  I

was looking in Program Files and having no luck.  Once Explorer was set to

see Hidden Folders then Program Data showed up and Bingo there it is.

Thanks for the help.  Everything seems to make sense now.  Only time will

tell if my disappearing menu issue is solved.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 - DVD menu templates
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rowbruce

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that you successfully located the disc menus.

Sounding good.

Please update on further developments when you get a chance.

Best wishes

ATR