8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 7:55 AM by oakandleaf

New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.

oakandleaf

At my job I've been trying to learn how to make files accessible for a client. I've watched many videos and scoured forums but there are some issues and can't seem to resolve and was wondering if anyone would be able to assist.

1.Table tagging- all the information I've been able to find on this suggests that you create a table style for your table in indesign and apply it (it doesn't have to have anything in it really, just as long as there is a style applied?). Then make sure you have header row that is tagged as such. I've got that, but beyond that I can't find any more information. I was having to apply paragraph styles to each cell in the table to get it to pass the accessiblity checker in acrobat.

2. Forms- When it comes to tagging forms in my pdf, I was having to click on "find" under the tags panel and manually tag them, then manually move them to their correct locations. Is there a better way to do this? Also, I was hoping I could copy and paste forms from one document to the next but I lose all tags on those forms when I do that.

3. I have a lot of documents where I have "*" or "†" used next to a word to trigger a legal disclosure at the bottom of the document. Would the proper way to use these be to make them a hyperlink to the disclosures at the bottom? I was initially going to cross-reference them to the disclosures, but since the cross-reference places new text (ex, See below, or See Section Title), I would then have to re-submit all my text to legal to have them approve it all over again.

4. I have created metadata information for a logo used in my files but I notice it has the tag name "pathpathpathpathpath". Any clue why?

5. Sometimes words are broken into two or three tags instead of one fluid word tag, such as c or poration, instead of just corporation.

6. Everytime I run the accessiblity checker I get the notification that "tab order failed". I know I can right click and hit fix, is that ok?

7. I sometimes have empty tags where a space is, do I need to delete these?

8. I can't seem to get the whole document to read aloud to test it. I can get it to read the copy I've selected but I can't really test the reading order on this.

Sorry for all these questions!

• 1. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
          a C student Level 3

1. I am not an Indesign user, so I cannot help you there. Table tagging in Acrobat can be complex, especially if the table is not regular (same number of cells in every row). Please post any specific questions regarding table tagging.

2. I do not know of an easier way of tagging form fields. With practice, it is not too burdensome. After all the work of creating, positioning, and configuring the form fields, I find tagging the fields to be the easiest step.

3. I would tag the  "*" or "†" as an in-line Reference, tag the disclosure as a Note, then position the Note as close as practical to the Reference in the document structure without disrupting the reading flow. Usually this is right after the paragraph that includes the Reference.

4. This is normal. “path” is the word Acrobat uses for a some graphical elements. If the metadata is alt text you will find it in the tag properties.

5. I would retag the paragraph (or header, or whatever it is) using the Touchup Reading Order tool.

6. In the Acrobat Page Thumbnails pane, select all the pages then right-click, Page Properties, and select Use Document Structure on the Tab Order pane.

7. The tags are probably not empty, but rather contain the space character. These do not seem to cause any problems but to me they clutter up the tag tree so I tag the spaces as background artifacts.

8. An easier way to check the reading order is to use a tool that lets you see the document in the way an AT user would hear it. PDFgoHTML from Callas Software (http://www.callassoftware.com/callas/doku.php/en:products:pdfgohtml), and the screen-reader preview feature in PAC 1.3 (http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac/dl132.html) are my favorites.

Hope some of this helps. Please post any follow-up questions (for best results – one at a time with as much detail as practical on the problem :-) ).

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
            oakandleaf Level 1

Thank you so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
              oakandleaf Level 1

So some of the files I've been working on went to our client for approval who is using the NVDA screen reader. They came back with markups on the pdf saying that after every row in the table, the tabke header is being repeated. So that means in this current document, the table header is being read 16 times when it should have only been read once. Any clue?

• 4. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
                a C student Level 3

Without seeing the document, no, does not make much sense. It is common - and easily correctable - for a header row to repeat on every page, but not after every row. Have you checked the tag structure to verify this anomoly? Is there any way you could post the document somewhere that I could download and take a look at?

Kenny (a 'C' student)

• 5. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
                  oakandleaf Level 1

Thanks for your help again Kenny.

Unfortunately, I cannot share the document. There is nothing in the trag structure that would make it do that either. However, I may have figured it out. In InDesign the table preferences show that it had the header set to repeat every text column. Visually this does absolutely nothing, but I'm hoping this option being checked has been the cause of the screen reader repeating the name. I will hopefully be able to check this on a screen reader soon to verify that this was the issue. (UPDATE: I was wrong, this does not seem to effect it in any way. I'm still having the problem of the table header being read before each column)

I have another question, I posted it in the InDesign forum but if you have a solution in Acrobat, I will gladly take that.

I am trying to figure out the proper way to tag an acronym. Currently as it stands, the acronymns are being read as words instead of individual letters ( ex. APR is trying to be pronounced as 1 word). The only way I can think of is to outline that text and give it alt text through indesign, but this doesn't seem to be the most efficient way, especially since this acronym reoccurs throught the document in the middle of paragraphs. Also, when this is tagged, should it be the full phrase rather than the acronym that is read aloud, such as APR vs Annual Percentage Rate, even if it is defined elsewhere in the document what it stands for?

• 6. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
                    oakandleaf Level 1

Problem solved for the repeating table header issue. So much simpler than I expected, unchecking a setting within the NVDA preferences, it has nothing to do with my file.

• 7. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
                      raeben3 Level 3

The only option I know of at this point for tagging Acronyms is alternative text.  The only way to get some acronyms to read correctly is to place them as alt text with a space between each letter, as "U S A"

Whether or not you choose to insert alternative text for every instance of an acronym depends on what level of compliance your client wants to achieve.

This is considered level "AAA" under Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.  Under WCAG 2.0 it does not have to be full phrase   --

• An abbreviation whose expansion is provided the first time the abbreviation appears in the content.The name, "World Wide Web Consortium," appears as the first heading on the organization's home page. The abbreviation, "W3C," is enclosed in parentheses in the same heading.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/meaning-located.html

• 8. Re: New to Accessibility and have run into problems I can't seem to find answers to.
                        oakandleaf Level 1

Thanks so much raben3, that is exactly the conclusion I had come to. It's good to hear that I am on the right path.