5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 4:39 PM by breegoodrow

Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6

breegoodrow

Elements on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared while I was working on other pages in the document.

• The layers panel expands to show that multiple elements exist on the page, but elements (text boxes, and a graphic box) do not show up visibly on the page. yes, I have already reviewed the 'layer options' - that's not the problem
      • I’m not able to select them, even when file is a visible layers. Yes, the eye symbol is showing. These issues all happen while every layer is 'on' - so that's not the problem.
      • Only 2 out of 14 layers are effected... and only over the course of 10 pages (out of 308), although not every element on those 2 layers disappeared on those 10 pages, there are a few anomolies that did not disappear
      • If I paste a new element into a different layer, while the box is selected I can move it into my ‘problem layer’  and the shape will visibly disappear (though still register as an existing element in the layers panel). As long as I don’t deselect, I can move it into another layer via the layers panel, and it will re-appear. If I de-select, I cannot re-select the item again via layers panel or the selection tool, but it still shows the element exists in the layers panel. I have not found a way to deal with these "ghost" elements yet. S.O.S.!

I’ve never seen this problem before. Had 3 other designers check it out to confirm I wasn’t crazy. They’ve never seen it happen before either.

Working on a complex book design project... By that I mean over 2200K+ image links, 308 pages, 40+ master pages, and 14 active layers.

Would love any explanation for this software error.

I wish l could explain this is "human error" but I was not even working on these effected pages today. I noticed elements missing when I went to review the chapter. I've been working in the file all day today... and this is extra disturbing: I printed these 10 effected pages yesterday late afternoon. I went to recover that file in Time Machiene, but my backup file also had the same "ghost elements" problem (even though it backed up after I printed, and the printouts were fine). I had to go all the way back to Monday's file, which was pre-re-design of those pages.

I've been using InDesign for 8 years and have never come across a problem like this before. Hope someone out there has!

-Bree

• 1. Re: Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you in Preview or Overprint Preview mode?

Are the individual objects locked? By default you cannot select locked objects (but it's a preference choice you can change). Check the layers panel. Can you slect them there?

If you can select them, open the attributes panel to see if they are set to non-printing.

• 2. Re: Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6
            breegoodrow Level 1

Thank you for your reply Peter,

Not in Overprint mode. But the issue happens regaurdless of being in Normal or Preview screens.

Individual objects are not locked.

I can select 'ghost' elements by clicking to color in their squares, but I cannot do anything with them, and they do not actually show as selected on the page.

None are set to non-printing.

EDIT: I can actually select the invisible element's square (in layer panel) and move it into a new layer, and the object / text appears... which is a work-around... but WHY did this happen? What is causing it?... any ideas folks?

• 3. Re: Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6
              breegoodrow Level 1

ALSO, with my new discovery of moving these elements to new layers to reveal them again (my work-around) I have also realized I could just delete the 'ghost' and start fresh, in either a new layer, OR in one 'probelm layer' (of all places!)...

BUT only in one of my two 'problem layers' ..the inconsistancy blows my mind. How is it possible?

sidenote: watching House M.D. on Netflix is only cranking up my enthusiasm for solving this mystery

• 4. Re: Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is ther any other object in front of it, perhaps -- a large empty frame filled with Paper maybe? If not, I'd say there's probably some sort of file corruption and I'd save a copy in the current state as backup, then export to .idml to see if you can clean it. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

You probably should also do a Select All on the page and see if you see any stray single point objects or other objects you don't expect (both on the page display or in the layers panel). I've seen perhaps three cases inthe last 8 or 9 years of single point objects with a fill assigned that caused all sorts of strnge behavior. I've never managed to create on of these intentionally, however.

• 5. Re: Ghost elements only on certain layers, only on certain pages, disappeared - INDD CS6
                  breegoodrow Level 1

Thank you for the information about removing minor corruption by exporting.

I did see a single stray point when selecting everything! (see pic, at dead center of my spread)

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 4.03.42 PM.png the_single_dot.png

Strange though:

• apparently, it had text in it... (see screenshot)

has_text_in_it.png

• but when I made a new box to see text, there was no text and the size/shape of box was not determined by my mouse movements (see screenshot below)
                  • it was not on either of the more noticable 'problem layers' (which were 'text' and 'background') however, on the spread the dot was on, I realized those other layer elements had disappeared (so total effected layers = 3, the third being 'labels' where the dot was sitting)

not_even_on_effected_layers.png

• indd crashed once when my co-worker was inspecting the strange stray point earlier. We thought nothing of it after the crash, excpet the crash was the impetus for writing my forum post... Never thought twice of the dot until you mentioned it!

Very weird. I certainly did not create this one intentionally... but it is comforting to know you've seen this happen before... do you feel like a Ghostbuster?

I was able to just delete the point. We'll see if anything new and strange happens... fingers crossed.

THANK YOU PETER!