5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 8:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline

CurtisC Level 1

Hello Adobe community.

I currently have the trial of Elements 12 running, and before I buy I want to make sure that everything works for what I intend to use it for. So, here's the situation.

I want to play video games and record the games using a software called DxTory. This software is perprietary software created in the .xtor codec (which elements 12 does a fine job with). When I recorded the video, I was also using my Blue Snowball mic. When I watch the video in Windows Media player everything is fine. I can hear the game just fine, I can hear my voice just fine, however when I move that file into the timeline of Elements 12, the audio of the game is still there, but my narration of the game is gone, like not even present in the timeline track. DxTory records the video and audio separate from each other, so that means that you could adjust the sound of the game, without adjusting the sound of your voice. That's why I like it, however the audio is not there. Is there anything that I can do to get the audio that is recorded from the mic with DxTory to also be in the timeline of Elements 12?

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtisC

I would have to think about this some more and do some homework on this. I have never ran across an .xtor video codec in an avi wrapper in Premiere Elements before.

The DxTory software is apparently dealing with the game and microphone sound separately. And, you are not having any issues with the game sound. Why not use Audacity for the microphone sound (wav) and then import the "game" portion and microphone portion as separate files into the Premiere Elements project with its Add Media/Files and Folders?

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline
            CurtisC Level 1

Doing it that way would add an extra mile to syncing the narration of my voice with the game. However, though Element's can't just easily have the narration there, I found a work around. All I have to do is "extract audio" from the clip that I recorded, and it splits the audio into a narration (my voice) and the game sound. I can just import them separately without unsyncing the narration with the game. It's not perfect, but it works.

• 3. Re: Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtisC

Thanks for the follow up that you have identified a workaround for your issue. Great job.

Where are you doing this "extract audio"? In the DxTory software? Or in another software to get the two files that are to be imported into Premiere Elements project?

Congratulations on your success.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline
                CurtisC Level 1

Right from the file browser in Windows. I see the video there, right click on it and it gives me the option to extract audio. It then makes 2 different audio tracks. One for my narriation and one for the game sound. I can then takes those files and drag them to Elements 12. It's just one extra step, and it may get annoying when I have like 15 different videos because I will have to extract all the audio separately. But so far Elements 12 is the best editing software for editing with DxTory. Sony jipped me out of $50. Never buying from them again.

• 5. Re: Audio from Mic is not playing in timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtisC

Thanks for that interesting information on how you processed the audio from DxTory in Windows.

Best wishes

ATR