11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 12:35 AM by MJD1981

Edit code while in debug mode in CC

DWhittaker

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Flash CC, and can no longer edit code while in debug mode. It appears the code window becomes read only while debugging. This is problematic because I often find it very useful to copy in variable names from data visible in the variables display portion of the call stack. This is very helpful if I have made a typo in my variable names, or if I am reading out data from a network request and I don't know the variable names ahead of time. Is there a way to unlock the code window so it does not become read only during debugging?

-David

• 1. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
          Preran Adobe Employee

Hi David,

Are you looking for something like this?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/using/debugging-actionscript-3-0.html

Thanks,

Preran

• 2. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
            Amy Blankenship Level 4

Just use Flash Builder to edit your code. Its debugging features are better as well.

• 3. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
              djarts.seat01

I don't think Preran and Amy understand the problem. It sounds like he can use the debugger perfectly fine, but in CC you can no longer *edit* the code while debugging it, which is a super helpful feature (can you even call an editor continuing to function a feature?) that has been present in all versions of Flash prior to CreativeCloud. This feels like one of those many changes Adobe has made to CC just so they can say it is 'new' and 'upgraded'. It would be great if they provided it as an option though so it can be turned off. I can see how this would hamper productivity while debugging. I also like to edit code while debugging so I'm not forced to close the Flash player and go back to the editor so I can re-run my .swf once I've made changes. Any Flash support people want to chime in on this issue?

• 4. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                DWhittaker Level 1

Hi Preran,

No, I am asking a very specific question about a change in the functionality (apparent loss of functionality from CS5.5) of the code editor in Flash CC during debugging.

• 5. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                  Amy Blankenship Level 4

I do understand the problem. However, you can edit code just fine in Flash Builder while you are debugging. It's a much more robust environment for both coding and debugging than the IDE, so I don't see any reason why you'd choose to code in the IDE except the fact that it's no longer being actively developed. And I don't see any reason that should be a concern until they stop making it available for download.

Maybe this could be a problem if you have large timeline scripts, but if that is the case you have so many other issues to deal with this should be pretty minor.

• 6. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                    DWhittaker Level 1

Hi Amy,

I appreciate that you are trying to help, and from a purely coding standpoint see the advantages to Flash Builder IDE over the Flash Professional IDE. Although personally I am a Visual Studio kinda guy... However I am working with a fairly large code base, (we are a small game studio that has been working with flash cs4, 5, and 5.5 for the past 5 years) and while nobody that works for me is crazy enough to put code on the timeline, we do have a significant amount of UI elements, dialogs, and layouts that are designed in the Flash editor with logic in classes that extend those elements. Now correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that you cannot build FLA files from flash builder let alone have them link with the classes that are set to extend them in Flash Professional. The move to CC actually gives us access to Flash Builder - something that previously was an additional $500 a seat. While it may make sense for us to use in the future, for now I am faced with the issue of the new Flash CC has removed the ability to edit the code while debugging. I was hoping there was a setting or a hidden option to turn this very unnecessary change off, I wasn't really asking for a critique of my IDE choice.

-David

• 7. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                      Amy Blankenship Level 4

You've got it backward...your Library/timeline symbols actually extend the Classes, which is why that box is labeled "Base Class." It works kind of like code behind.

But, yes, you're wrong. There's a reason that when you go under File>New in Flash Builder, one of the options is Flash Professional project. There are some "gotchas" to the process, such as When Good Flash Builder Projects Go Bad, but unfortunately I don't have time right now to go into it. If you try it and run into issues, post back and I'll do my best to help.

• 8. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                        DWhittaker Level 1

Well that is interesting information to have. I will look into it so I am aware of what options are available now that I have access to flash builder... However that is really just an aside and does not address my original question. Is it there a way to stop the code window from becoming read only during debugging so that it functions the way it has in every previous version of Flash up until CC?

• 9. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                          Mohanaraj Adobe Employee

Hi David,

We are aware of this issue and this has been tarcked via an internal bug. Will update you once this is resolved.

Thanks!

Mohan

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                            DWhittaker Level 1

Thanks Mohanaraj,

That is what I was looking to find out.

• 11. Re: Edit code while in debug mode in CC
                              MJD1981 Level 1

Any progress on this? After migrating to Flash CC, I can no longer fix issues as I encounter them. I'll have to revert back to Flash CS6 to keep my productivity high.