6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 8:01 AM by NikitEngel

Master Pages Threading Problems

NikitEngel

I have three master pages: one for blank pages with graphics boxes to insert graphics this works well as expected. I have one for Chapter pages containing two text boxes one with a section mark for chapter numbers (this does not work) and one with a text box that starts half way down the page like the third master which is a body text master the text frames do not auto flow they don't even load text.  The text frames on the masters allow me to add text but if I add text to a page with the master applied to it - it will not load the text it instead attempts to create a new text box with no auto flow as I have 600 pages of text to add I can not manually text flow each page.  Additionally I don't not have individual documents for each chapter section and have to use paste or paste in place from the cutting board to drop the text in.  I have tried the shift and option uses mentioned in the text book.  My teacher has not responded and I am not well accustom to the program enough to understand most of the technical terms i have found in other forum threads.

NK

• 1. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
          Migintosh Level 4

Master text frames aren't really necessary in most cases, but if you're sure you need them, I'll see what I can tell you. What they are good for is when you want to place text on portions of the page in (for example) the same position on every page, and have the ability to move all of the document-page frames together by moving the master-page frames. If (for example) you wanted to position some of the document-page frames independently, they wouldn't respond to the movements of the master-page frames, and would act the same as frames created on the document pages. They would, however, still respond to changes in the shape of the master text frame, if you hadn't changed the shape on the document page while you were changing the position. That can work for you and against you, since the  frame will retain all of the aspects on the document page of the frame on the master page that you have not changed on the document page. So, if you want a frame to act independently on the document page, create it there, and if you want something to change on the document page when you change that aspect on the master page, use a master frame. Right…now on to your questions.

NikitEngel wrote:

…containing two text boxes one with a section mark for chapter numbers (this does not work)…

I assume you placed a text frame on the master page, placed the text cursor into the frame and went to Type_Insert Special Character>Markers>Section Marker, is that correct? Did you Select the document-page icon in the Pages pannel where you want a section marker and add some text to the Section field that you would like to appear in place of the marker?

ss.png

NikitEngel wrote:

The text frames on the masters allow me to add text but if I add text to a page with the master applied to it - it will not load the text it instead attempts to create a new text box with no auto flow as I have 600 pages of text to add I can not manually text flow each page.

To auto-flow text, hold the Shift key when clicking into the frame.

NikitEngel wrote:

Additionally I don't not have individual documents for each chapter section and have to use paste or paste in place from the cutting board to drop the text in.

I'm not sure I understand you there. By "individual documents," are you talking about individual InDesign documents, one for each chapter, or is the text you are placing in multiple text documents that you are placing one at a time?

I should also add that running text through master frames from different master pages can be pretty tricky. I've never even tried to do that, but auto-flow probably won't work the way I think you expect it to. Are you wanting text to auto-flow from the master frame of a document page based on A-Master to the master frame of a page based on B-Master? I'm pretty sure you are going to have to create that chain manually, but someone may know differently than me and correct me. And it sounds like InDesign is creating new pages for the overset text you are placing, and the new pages are not where you would have preferred. You may have to delete those added pages and make your text chain manually, so that it reads in the correct order. If I had to do a project like the one you are doing, I might opt to create the frames on the document page, and use Paste-In-Place to copy them to the rest of the pages, rather than use master frames, but you know more about this project than I do.

• 2. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

First of all, it is always important to inform us on the version you are using. The answer might be different.

Take care that no text or placeholder text is on your master. It has not to be there. On the master is always (each on its own layer) the page number marker, text variables for running headers, fixed text and graphics which are on every page without altering and a backgound color frame.

It is important to set up the pages roperly with margins!

Up to CS5.5 you should not ut any text frame at all on the master page. Create the text frame upon importing or writing the text.

From CS6 you can create primary text frames (which have to be empty) on the master. These will be applied with the master page. So the text will run different if a different master is applied to the same page.

• 3. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
              NikitEngel Level 1

?Thank you for your reply

I checked and I have not had text in those frames...

I'm still having issues and am consulting with many people with many different ideas on the problem.

Thank you for your input every little bit helps.

K.

• 4. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
                NikitEngel Level 1

?Thank you for your reply

I am attempting to paste large amounts of text into an IND document and have all the pages set up to receive the text and have it flow from page to page without having to click every output box on the corner of every page.

I'm still having the issues and am consulting with many people with many different ideas on the problem.

Thank you for your input every little bit helps.

K.?

• 5. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

PASTING text will only flow into a set of already linked frames. It will not autoflow. That said, if you pick up the overset, THAT will autoflow when yooou hold down the shift key to link it to a new frame.

• 6. Re: Master Pages Threading Problems
                    NikitEngel Level 1

I am using the creative cloud version of InDesign on a mac.  I checked to make sure everything was up to date.