13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 9:53 PM by A.T. Romano

How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?

Bearpaw020

I want to add another previously edited project into another project. It quite don't make sense not being able to add other projects into an existing project.....I tried the add media function but the file is just gray and not clickable any help would be great thanks.

• 1. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

You cannot import one Premiere Elements (any version) project (project.prel file) into another project (project.prel file).

1. You export the project 1 Timeline content as a file whose format is consistent with project 2 project settings and then import that file into project 2 with project 2's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

or

2. You try to do a copy/paste insert using ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements 12.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

Please let us know if questions or if you need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
            Bearpaw020 Level 1

I don't beleive I can use Clipmate with my mac. I do need some clarification as how to export the files to have consistancy. They are saved as project.prel files at the moment. Thanks A.T!

• 3. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

Thanks for the follow up.

If you had mentioned that your Premiere Elements 12 is on Mac, I would not have included ClipMate/Premiere Elements in my suggestions since ClipMate is Windows Only.

For each project, what is the project preset that you or the program has set (please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode/Timebase/Frame Size/Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields appeared to be grayed out)?

Is each project set so that project preset matches the properties of the source media?

With answers to the above, I can give you specifics.

Generalizing...

SD projects involved....standard or widescreen export from  standard or widescreen project.

HD projects involved...M2T or MP4 HD export from HD project

I am strictly an Elements Windows person who tries to find common ground between Premiere Elements Windows and Mac. So please let me know if you see any Mac conflicts...such as, does it handle .m2t?

Once I get a description of the projects involved, I will zero in on the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                Bearpaw020 Level 1

Main project:

Editing mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 29.97 FPS

Frame size: 1920x1080

Pixel Aspect ration: Square pixels 1.0

Fields: upper field first

Display format: 30 fps drop frame timecode

Project I want to add to the main project is just one 9 second clip containing all of the same settings as above that I listed for the main project.

• 5. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                  Bearpaw020 Level 1

Also, A.T. Romano I am fairly new to editing. I got all my information on how to use Adobe Premiere Elements 12 through www.lynda.com watching a 3 hr instructional on using the program. As where I watch a lot of my information on camera/video capture. I appreciate your help and patience!!

• 6. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

Please take a look at

project.prel 1

(project prest = NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30)

File Export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30

project.prel Main

(project preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30)

File Import

M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30, using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Please let us know if that works for you.

If any problems with M2T in Mac, then consider a QuickTime export from the first.

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize the export preset

Video Codec = H.264

Click on box with chain link to right of Frame Width & Height. That will remove the chain so that you can type in Width 1920 pixels and Height 1080 pixels (click box to put link back into box).

For Bitrate settings, place a check mark next to Limit data rate to ______kbps (kilobits per second) and enter 12000 in that field. See screenshot for other settings. Bitrate are cut off in screenshot.

QuickTime.JPG

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

Just saw your latest post.

Glad for the opportunity to be of help.

Hope the suggestions that I just posted work for you.

ATR

Add On....Another thought...if you do try the QuickTime route, a be aware note....Publish+Share/Computer/ has several choices. The first 3 are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. Some think that is all there are. There are more, including QuickTime. The user has to scroll down the list. The scroll bar in tiny and to the right of the choices. An alternative is to click on Adobe Flash Video to select it, and then use the down arrow key to move down the list and the up arrow key to move up the list.

• 8. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                        Bearpaw020 Level 1

Alrighty, currently saving it in that format at the moment and it is rendering it which seems to always take forever!!!! I will let you know once it finally renders and saves itself. I hope this works as I was beginning to beleive I would have to get a bunch of footage saved up before I edit which just seems kind of like a pain.

• 9. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                          Bearpaw020 Level 1

So as I sit and wait for it to save, I'm thinking about this as a whole. Tell me if I'm wrong or not....since the file I was now trying to add to the main project was saved as another project it wouldn't work. Now that the file is saved as not a premiere elements project it should accept the file into the main project?

• 10. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                            Bearpaw020 Level 1

A.T. Romano IT WORKED awesome thank you so much! So say I want to add a timelapse I would assume the file is totatlly different but if I go in and save it the same proces it should work?

• 11. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

I applaud your success. Great job.

When you are thinking Timelapse are you talking about fast motion for a video file.

If so, you can look at the Time Stretch Tool (Expert workspace)for that or the Time Remapping (Expert and Quick workspaces) of Premiere Elements 12.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/time-remapping-with-adobe-premiere-el ements-11/

If you are interested in photos and Timelapse and Premiere Elements

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

As long as you are not trying to import one project.prel file into another, you should be OK. These exports should be compatible for import into another Premiere Elements project. But, there are exceptions, example, you can export a .flv file Premiere Elements, but you cannot import one.

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                                Bearpaw020 Level 1

Thanks again! I'm probably going to end up selling my macbook pro and go to buying a used custom computer and run the windwos version. My macbook pro is just not worth editing with. It can't handle it and takes forever to do anything along with it crashing all the time it takes forever to do anything it seems and I just do a little at a time because I'm practically waiting for it the entire time to render or open something. In your min what is the minimum for RAM memory in your eyes Romano? I am currently running 4GB RAM which is also the max this computer can use which I feel is nearly not close to enough I would like to get something with roughly 16 GB with better graphics and processor! Seems to be a never ending gig in the world of videography!

• 13. Re: How do you merge two projects into one Premeiere elements 12?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bearpaw020

I have Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit and do very nicely for SD, HD file exports as well as burn to discs DVD and Blu-ray

a. with 8 GB RAM

b. Local DisK C, 1 TB and have several external hard drives (250 GB to 1 TB) all formatted NTFS.

Key factor is to assure that you are running Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer. In that case, Premiere Elements is a  64 bit application that can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources. Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application does not typically translate into faster. It is more a multitasking perk. But, Premiere Elements as 64 bit tends to get the larger projects taken to a successful conclusion more often than with Premiere Elements as a 32 bit application which is the situation when other than Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Premiere Elements Mac is often a victim of the Premiere Elements "Windows Only" features.

Premiere Elements video cards are not in the same league as the NVIDIA Cuda cards used by Premiere Pro. So, expensive video cards for Premiere Elements are not going to be a major advantage.

More later.

ATR