2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 5:43 PM by sbrown asa

Creating Flipbooks on CS6 that are Mac and PC compatible

sbrown asa

I am trying to create a flipbook in InDesign that

1. allows users to zoom on the book,

2. is compatible with Mac and PC,

3. is compatible with handheld devices and can be hosted on my organisations website. We have a high level of users that browse on their iphones or android devices.

So far i have been able create a flipbook but it is not compatible with mac or hand held devices and cannot zoom in.  The book keeps resizing back to neutral.

I've been able to link and insert buttons and all that fun stuff, but its the exporting it part and optimising it for different types of viewing.

I feel like i'm missing something!

• 1. Re: Creating Flipbooks on CS6 that are Mac and PC compatible
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What you're missing is that for the most part these flipbooks are flash based and will not play mobile devices. I'm not sure what you mean by resizing back to neutral.

FWIW, which may well be nothing, I hate these things and will close any website that presents me with one.

• 2. Re: Creating Flipbooks on CS6 that are Mac and PC compatible
            sbrown asa Level 1

Hi Bob,

I do know what you mean, that flipbooks are flash based. 

We used to upload our PDF of our magazine to a website called PageGangster.  They would convert it and I could customise the flipbook before 'activating it'.  Pagegangster would host the magazine and we would link to in on our website.

It was a fully functioning flipbook with all the bells and whistles AND it was compatible with all devices and operating systems.

The resizing issue is that the flipbook appears on screen and when you try to zoom in on it.  everything around the book will zoom in, but the book itself will not zoom.  it resizes back to the original it loaded as.  It will not let me zoom in and out on a page.

Basically we are looking for a way to use InDesign to create the same experience PageGangster was providing us with.  Pagegangster has since gone under/will not respond to emails so we are unable to ask them for more information. 

Does anyone know how they were able to create a flipbook that was compatible with all devices and operating systems?

Cheers!