6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 1:17 PM by JEShort01

x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up

Noddydog

I've just purchased x3 Crucial M500 SSD's. They are:

x2 M500 480GB 500Mb read/400Mb write
      x1 M500 240GB 500Mb read/250Mb write

I intend to put all of them in my Mac Pro (early 2009, 3rd Gen 8-core Xeon 5500 Series). My Mac has Sata 2 connectors and 32Gb of RAM plus a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (hacked so the Cuda Cores can make use of Prem Pro's Mercury Engine).

Currently, before adding the SSD's, I have x4 3TB 7200rpm HDD's in my Mac. I will be leaving one of them in there after adding the x3 SSD's. I intend to archive finished projects/footage onto it and possibly use it for anything Prem Pro might need access to if the SSD's can't take care of everything.

My Mac is currently sent up as follows for Premiere Pro CS6

ROOT DRIVE - HHD 1:  Swapfile, OS, Premiere Pro software
      HHD 2: Media Cache
      HHD 3: Previews, Exports
      HHD 4: Project Files, Source Files

What would be the best/fastest configuration when I add the new SSD's?

Incidentally I'm thinking of using the 240GB SSD as my new root drive (I'll clone the current one). However the 240Gb SSD has the slightly slower write time of 250Mb opposed to 400Mb on the 480Gb SSD's. So is this wise, will it really make any noticeable difference if I used a 480Gb SSD instead?

Also where should I make the compromise by keeping something on the old 3TB 7200rpm drive? What requires the slowest access in Premiere from the above list? Would it be the Media Cache? Alternatively should I put nothing (that Premiere needs) on the 3TB drive and double something up onto one of the SSD's?

So many questions/configurations. Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up
          Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 3. Re: x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up
            JEShort01 Level 4

Noddydog,

I did not respond initially because I do no know macs. However, since no one else has responded yet I will reply regarding how I would use your new drives with CC Premiere Pro on a Windows PC:

- 240GB M500 - boot drive, programs

- 2x RAID 0 on Intel ports for primary data array - Windows paging file, all data (media, projects, scratch files, cache files, and render outputs)

- 3TB 7200 rpm drive - daily backups of RAID 0 SSD array and storage for old projects, media, etc. that does not fit on the SSD RAID array

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up
              Noddydog Level 1

Thanks Jim, I did wonder about this approach. My only concern is whether it creates a bottleneck in the Raid array when everything is coming from the same place. I can understand why it would on older HDD's, but I'm not sure about SSD's.

Anyway I'll probably give this a go and see what happens. Do you know any apps that will auto backup from the Raid array at the end of the day? Obviously I can do it manually, but was just wondering?

• 5. Re: x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up
                Noddydog Level 1

In fact being on a Mac I wonder if it's better to use Time Machine to back up to an external drive?

• 6. Re: x3 new SSD's, what's best PP CS6 set up
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding the bottleneck in Windows for a simultaneous Read/Write for a SSD RAID 0 for a 32GB system running Premiere Pro there is lots of RAM available for disk caching by the Operating System that can smooth out any simulataneous calls for reads & writes. I'm not sure about how this works with Apple though.

Regarding backups, I can't help you with software recommendations for a Mac. It would be ideal though to use an internal drive for daily backups from the RAID 0 to go to the 3TB 7200rpm internal drive if Time Machine will let you archive to a drive that has other data on it to (other data as I mentioned above: old projects, media, etc. that does not fit on the SSD RAID array). Then, backup less frequently to an external drive too for offsite archiving purposes.

Jim