11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 2:52 PM by D Fosse

I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.

Carol Higgins

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I read on another website that Adobe Photoshop is free now.  I will copy and paste the information:

Adobe's giving us all a late Christmas present. You can grab yourself a free, legitimate copy of Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite 2, right now, direct from Adobe. No catch.

Well, unless you think having an Adobe account is a catch. Anyway, apparently Adobe's tired of keeping the activation servers running to support legitimate installs of the 10-year-old CS2, so it's decided to just give it away. Sounds great to me.

Handy if all you need is a quick image editor, Photoshop CS2 will still do all the basic things, just not the new fancy smart ‘content aware‘ stuff. Free's free, so get over to Adobe.com and get downloading. [Adobe via Twitter]

When I went to the Adobe website, of course I couldn't find anything about it.  Is this just a hoax?  Thanks if anyone can help.  I am trying to find a program where I can "ghost" or fade photos I upload from my camera so I can use them for stationery.

What are tags?

• 1. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

CS2 is not free. It says so on the download page's legal disclaimer. This is merely meant for existing customers. If you never bought a proper license, you'd be using it illegally - hook, line and sinker. The rest is just some people going out of their way trying to rationalize this without efven making an effort to understand the legalities. The rest is really beside the point. GIMP is truly free as are many other image editors and there is a wealth of affordable commercial painting and image processing apps like PD Paint that can be had as cheap as 5 bucks.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Carol,

That quoted section ends with

No catch.

Well, there IS a "catch," and a big one. As Mylenium points out, the Activation servers were shut down for Adobe CS & CS2 products. Adobe then provided special copies of those affected programs, but for registered, legal owners/users of those programs - no one else.

Many bloggers, and webmasters seized on the release of the special copies, and either never bothered to read, did not comprehend, or just chose to ignore the details, misleading many into thinking that the programs were now free, sort of like "abandonware." They are NOT abandonware in any sense.

Thank you for asking for clarification.

Hunt

• 3. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
              Carol Higgins Level 1

Hi Bill,

I am new so just trying to get used to this forum.  I had asked about Adobe Photoshop being free as I had read it on a web page.  In the back of my mind I knew it was bogus but they do give us a couple of free things so I had to ask, you understand....

Thank you so much for answering me.  I wanted to thank Mylenium also but his address had a no-reply in it.  I can’t find any way to reply to folks who helped me, how does one do that?

Upon further investigation I did find out it was “free” only for people who already owned a version of it and I did indeed find Gimpshop and it seems to be a fine tool.  My first choice would have been Adobe but due to financial embarrassment I can’t do that right now.

Thanks again, hope you get this.

Carol

• 4. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Your response was posted in the forum, Carol.  I recommend you avoid using the eMail interface and look at the web interface.  Then it will all be clear.

Regarding the original web site touting the Photoshop CS2 situation as "Adobe giving it away for free", it's representative of the current thinking today about Digital Rights Management and content downloading, especially amongst young people.

Specifically, the philosophy is something like, "if I'm not blocked from downloading it (or am only mildly blocked), then I can download it and it's free!"

Taking somethat's not protected is tantamount to going into someone's yard and walking off with their lawn furniture, just because it's not tied down and protected by a guard dog.

Capitalism falls on its face if people don't demonstrate a bit of honesty and decency.  Economy doesn't work if all people do is "take" whatever they can.

It's not a healthy state, this current "it's mine if I can get away with it" thinking that leads to web sites announcing that Adobe is "giving away Christmas presents" just because they are not tied down.

P.S., I put food on my family's table by selling software that I author.

-Noel

• 5. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                  Carol Higgins Level 1

Hi Noel,

Thanks.  I am not sure what you mean by “web interface”.  I went back to the discussion and still can’t find anywhere to reply to posts.  All it says at the bottom of posts is

Was this helpful? Yes   No

| Mark as: Translate

I can’t find anywhere on the page where you are given an option to reply to the post.

Carol

• 6. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                    SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to sign in to reply to post. At the far top right of the page, click Sign in. I have found since the forum update, I have to sign in several times a day; it signs me out whenever I've been off the forum for a while.

• 7. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                      Carol Higgins Level 1

Thank you SO much, SRiegel!  I had already signed in a couple of times and didn't realize I had to sign in every time.  Problem solved.

Thank you to everybody who helped me.  Great forum.

• 8. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                        SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before the recent update, I only had to sign in once a day. Now it signs me off much more often.

• 9. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had already signed in a couple of times and didn't realize I had to sign in every time.

You shouldn't have to but it's a frustrating flaw in the software being used by Adobe to run these forums.

Unfortunately we're stuck with multiple sign-ins every day.

• 10. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                            Carol Higgins Level 1

It's ok with me; it's not that big of a deal considering how great it is to have the forum available for help when one needs it.  Now, if you want to talk about problems with having to sign in, try Microsoft.  Every single time I try to go to my Outlook email or use the Microsoft forum I have to sign in again and they send me a code in my gmail and I type it in and they tell me it isn't the right code and then I have to reset the password and usually that doesn't work a couple of times and finally it does and I have to sign in again and they have to give me another code and then they have to phone me too.  It is exhausting.  This is nothing.

• 11. Re: I heard that Adobe Photoshop was free.
                              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Noel Carboni wrote:

Capitalism falls on its face if people don't demonstrate a bit of honesty and decency.  Economy doesn't work if all people do is "take" whatever they can.

Very succinctly put. Here are some people who try to do something about it: http://occupywallst.org/