3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 11:12 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

How often are updates made to Audition CC

Michael Putrino Community Member

I currently have CS5.5 and am reluctant to move to CC because of the following:

1. It is my understanding that 32-bit VST plugins will not work without a bridge of some sort.
      2. I thought one of the reasons to move to CC was that Adobe could make small regular feature updates without making major releases. Have any of these updates happened since CC was made available? If not, why not? I'm reluctant to pay a monthly fee if I'm not going to see regular feature improvements.
      3. Where can we see a list of improvements that have been made so far to CC (since it was introduced)?
      4. Will the release number be updated to indicated changes made?
        • 1. Re: How often are updates made to Audition CC
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Michael Putrino wrote:

I currently have CS5.5 and am reluctant to move to CC because of the following:

1. It is my understanding that 32-bit VST plugins will not work without a bridge of some sort.

This is true. You either need updated plugins, or jbridge.

1. I thought one of the reasons to move to CC was that Adobe could make small regular feature updates without making major releases. Have any of these updates happened since CC was made available? If not, why not? I'm reluctant to pay a monthly fee if I'm not going to see regular feature improvements.
          2. Where can we see a list of improvements that have been made so far to CC (since it was introduced)?
          3. Will the release number be updated to indicated changes made?

Firstly, you have to understand that CC is perfect*.... and that the devs have been away working on some less ambitious projects (apparently) that might see the light of day one day, and these will also be truly, unimaginably wonderful. The monthly fee doesn't relate directly to updates at all - that's how you'd have to licence it regardless. This is Adobe's (and to a lesser extent, Microsoft's) way of driving a coach and horses through the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation; by this means, even perfect software like Audition is never 'finished' - so they don't have to register it as such, can't sell it as complete, and consequently save a lot of money on returns to the government. Everybody is paying the price for rushed legislation here; I blame Enron, personally.

Since Audition is perfect, the concept of a 'list of improvements' is moot...

Release numbering follows normal procedure. For instance, a major release has a number like 6.0, and if bugs are fixed, then the release would change to 6.0.1. If additional features were added, then it would become (initially) 6.1.0 until they fixed any bugs, at which point it would be 6.1.1, or whatever.

I checked a moment ago. Audition's current release is 6.0, so you can draw your own conclusions!

*only slightly tongue in cheek...

• 2. Re: How often are updates made to Audition CC
            _durin_ Employee Hosts

Earlier this month, Adobe announced the latest improvements which include native import and export support for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus - no license fees, no plugins.  Up to 7.1 channels at 24-bit in AC-3 or EC-3 formats.  Another new feature announced is custom channelization for new audio files, up to 32 channels with custom labels, and saved as profiles for subsequent file generation.

Over on the Multitrack side of the fence, improvements to organization and navigation have been implemented, as well as the ability to minimize a track height, preventing it from enlarging while zooming, but keeping slightly visible for cues, snapping, etc.  Many minor user requests were implemented as well, including splitting all clips at the playhead rather than trying to eyeball splices with the razor tool.

There's screenshots and details on our last blog post at http://blogs.adobe.com/audition/ and the team was just at the NAB trade show this week showing off the new functionality to around 90,000 attendees.  This update should be available in the upcoming months along with updates to Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, and the rest of the Adobe toolset.

• 3. Re: How often are updates made to Audition CC
              SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Yes that was slightly remiss of me - I should have provided the link to that page! (especially as I posted a link to it earlier - see below where it says Sneak Peek)