10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 1:08 AM by pwillener

Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"

Gilstead Cogwaller

Upon turning my PC on today, I got the standard black pop-up window from  Adobe, advising that a new version of Flash Player was available for  download, which I agreed to do.
      As the installer ran, I saw that Google Chrome was being installed  without my consent! After Flash player finished installing, I tried to  stop the "Google" installation, but couldn't!
      I went directly to Control Panel and uninstalled Google Chrome before allowing the installer to finish its dirty work.
      Well, the application detected this and and opened  Internet Explorer,  which I NEVER use and have Internet connection disabled through my  firewall.
      This is playing dirty, Adobe! No- this isn't "playing" at all! This is illegal intrusion~ This is SPYWARE!

In the past, Adobe Flash player gave the chance to "opt out" of Google  Chrome (which we shouldn't HAVE to do), but now, we have NO CHOICE,  because Google has become WORSE than any spyware or virus! And that is   they now have the trust of the world.
      Remember: Power corrupts... Absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Adobe, if you even care anymore, we are asking that you do something about this intrusion.
      No one has the right to install programs without the consent of the owner of the devise. And you know it!
      You guys think we have no power of choice and so can't do anything about this... That's what revolution is all about!

• 1. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
          Mike M Level 6

You do realize that this is a user-to-user forum and you AREN'T addressing Adobe here, right?

• 2. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
            Gilstead Cogwaller Level 1

I do... But it is probably the closest I ever get to addressing anybody connected with Adobe.

I'm just sick of programs forcing malware on us as if we have no right to question them. And it's getting worse!

As long as the sheep keep eating what is handed out, we all travel deeper and deeper into a totalitarian state.

Oh well... At least I'll not have to endure it for too much longer.    

I'm 65 year old and will probably die from a heart attack induced from the anger these scums cause me. But it gripes my wrinkled up old *** to go through it now!

• 3. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
              Mike M Level 6

I'm 65 year old and will probably die from a heart attack induced from the anger these scums cause me. But it gripes my wrinkled up old *** to go through it now!

One would think that with that much time on this earth, you'd have attained the wisdom to better decide which things to get your blood pressure boiling about and which ones not to.  I'm 50, and I brush off most everything with a laugh, because it isn't going to kill me, and even if it does, I won't be around to worry about it.

• 4. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                Gilstead Cogwaller Level 1

RE:  I brush off most everything with a laugh, because it isn't going to kill me

Well Mike, I'm old enough that I can remember rights and freedom... freedom from people that would take what you have, just because they can. And if you say you can't remember the same, then you don't come from the same country that I do. This country is being drowned with its own blood. Most people act just like you; just brush it off and say if it doesn't hurt THEM, then it's OK. Twenty years ago, these scum-bag companies couldn't get away with hiding malware in another program without going to jail, now it seems it is common practice. The reason that it has gotten to this point is because people "brush off with a laugh, because it isn't going to kill them". Well, it might just kill our children and grandchildren, because if decency ever attempts to return to this world, it will be 'them' who fight the wars.

Now, I'm a little too busy to be bantering back and forth with you on this forum (because my comment is to Adobe and those who work for them), but if you just 'must' to have the last word here, go ahead, you'll just be talking to yourself.

• 5. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                  Mike M Level 6

Gilstead Cogwaller wrote:

Twenty years ago, these scum-bag companies couldn't get away with hiding malware in another program without going to jail, now it seems it is common practice.

That was 1994... There were about 24 million people with PCs and only about 18 million connected to the Internet... MORE people download Flash player every hour of the day now than that.

Most people act just like you; just brush it off and say if it doesn't hurt THEM, then it's OK.

No... I simply do a better job of "picking the hill I want to die on".

McAfee installing with an update isn't it. Odds are that JUST BECAUSE OF MY IP ADDRESS... the NSA has a complete record of this thread.  That concerns me a LOT MORE than having to take three minutes to uninstall something I didn't want.

• 6. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                    RobHolden

Just started installing Flash and clicked install as one normally does.  I noticed it started installing google so i quickly clicked cancel.

I have logged this in another thread and only afterwards spotted this one.

I have since restarted the install and now noticed the PRE-TICKED tickbox for Google installation.  I think that should be made illegal.

The company I work for deals with other large companies who use flash for online videos so unfortunately we need flahs installed.

I havn't updated flash for a while, but I now understand why I have had calls from users having difficulties using the internet as in every instance they had lost their well known microsoft explorer and coul dno longer find all the menu options and icons they were uised to.

I then have tpo de-install google and re-enable explorer for them.

Google's attitute is costing businesses money and I think they are on a fine line between promoting themselves and being common criminals.  They are not doing themseves any favors though, that's a fact!

• 7. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                      pwillener Level 8

I have used Adobe software for a very long time, and I have never gotten any unwanted crapware.  It's really easy: download the installers manually, and you get only what you download.

• 8. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                        Mike M Level 6

The company I work for deals with other large companies who use flash for online videos so unfortunately we need flash installed.

Sounds like you should be "pushing" an MSI via distribution.

• 9. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                          RobHolden Level 1

Wish I could, we only have control over staff PCs, most are 'external' and private PCs.

Having the tick box pre-ticked is costing us money and I guess we are not alone.

Said thing is, someone at HO has purposely decided to have that box pre-ticked, that is the sick thing about this.

• 10. Re: Adobe Flash Player is installing SPYWARE! ... It is called "Google"
                            pwillener Level 8

The people who make these decisions do not read these forum posts, so Adobe's policy regarding bundled 3rd-party software won't change anytime soon.

I know, getting Google Chrome installed is a PITA, as it will make itself the default browser, and when you uninstall it, it remains set as default browser, which will make URL links no longer work.

All you can do is to educate the people you work with to pay attention to pre-checked checkboxes, or give them the links to the installers that I posted earlier.