6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 8:03 PM by VaRob

Shake Reduction error

terry vanpool

I get this error pop up when trying to use the "Shake Reduction" filter in Photoshop CC.

Running on a Windows 7 PC with 16 gigs of ram.

Does this error mean anything to anyone? I have tried restarting the PC and still get this. I have made no configurations to Photoshop since I last used this filter and have no idea how to fix this.

Thanks,

Terry

PS CC Error.JPG

• 1. Re: Shake Reduction error
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not 100% sure, but this could be that you're low on memory, out of scratch disk space, or issues with low resources with you Graphics Card.

• 2. Re: Shake Reduction error
            terry vanpool Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I found a couple of older threads here on this subject and they indicated the problem might be the "scratch disk" or the permissions assigned to it. I found that if I ran PS as administrator that everything worked normal but if PS was started from Bridge the error remained. I messed around with the sharing and permissions on the scratch disk but still no fix. What seemed to fix the issue was changing the scratch disk to a different drive in PS "preferences". Then I changed it back to the original drive and it was still fixed.

I guess what I am saying is that I am not sure what fixed it but as of now it seems to work as expected and the problem seems to have been with the "scratch disk"

Terry

• 3. Re: Shake Reduction error
              albertanderson01

Make another partition so Photoshop can create its own Temp file on that new partition. This usually happens on Windows 7 and Windows Vista PC. For more details, you can refer to:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/no-more-virtual-tiles-can-be-allocated-error

• 4. Re: Shake Reduction error
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

albertanderson01 wrote:

Make another partition so Photoshop can create its own Temp file on that new partition. This usually happens on Windows 7 and Windows Vista PC. For more details, you can refer to:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/no-more-virtual-tiles-can-be-allocated -error

Better to get another drive and dedicate for primary Scratch space. 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708

• 5. Re: Shake Reduction error
                  terry vanpool Level 1

Thanks for the help. For now the problem seems to be gone but if I need to reconfigure some things to make PS run more reliably I will.

The computer is a fairly new Windows 7 desktop with 16 gigs of RAM and I recently added a 500 gig SSD and now use the original 1 tb HHD for data use only. The SSD contains the OS and all apps and the HHD has all my data. I have moved the OS temp directory and IE temporary files to the HDD (D) to minimize writes to the SSD and I guess this is what triggered the problem.

There is plenty of room on the “D” drive if I need to add a partition but how big should it be?

This is a personal (not company) machine so I can do what ever I want with it.

• 6. Re: Shake Reduction error
                    VaRob

For others like me, who come here searching for an answer to this question, Terry Vanpool's solution worked for me, so give it a try. I didn't have specific resource constraints... brand new home-built high-end system with 16 GB of RAM, OS running on a Samsung 840 SSD with tons of space left, and nearly 1 TB remaining of the 2 TB data HDD it chose by default for the scratch drive. The CC installation is completely fresh and this is the first time I've opened PS on this computer. I wanted to test the speed of the shake reduction filter, because that is one of the things that convinced me to build a new system, but I received this same error. The simple act of changing the scratch disk to another drive, then changing it back to the original drive cleared up the problem. I guess PS didn't exactly get the permissions right the first time. Thanks to Terry for that one!