4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 10:13 AM by dEaF TO LiGhT

Sections of Document Don't Move with Text

dEaF TO LiGhT Level 1

I'm really confused by something.  I have a document that is separated into categories of information, (i.e. radio stations, newspapers, network programs, cable programs, etc.).  I tried to add section markers to each page where a new section begins.  But if I make edits and add information before, and a new page is created, the section marker stays on the same page and doesn't move with the beginning of the section itself.  I am using a primary text frame with smart text reflow, which I assume has something to do with it.  I tried changing the end of story option to "End of Section."  I also checked preserve facing pages (because a section needs to start on the right page).  I thought that this would make it enough text was added that a new page was created before a section marker, the new page would be created before the section marker and the section marker would move its content.

So, for example,

Section 1 (Radio Stations)

first page has header that says "Radio Stations," followed by entries of radio stations

Section 2 (Newspapers)

first page has header that says "Newspapers", followed by entries of newspapers

So say section 1 starts on page 15, and section 2 starts on page 29.  I need to add a few radio stations on any page in section 1, let's say 22.  I add some information, text after flows into next pages, but the section 2 marker stays on page 29 even after the first page with header "Newspapers" has now moved to page 31.

I guess I'm missing something really obvious but I can't figure it out.

• 1. Re: Sections of Document Don't Move with Text
          Doc Maik Level 4

What you describe can actually not happen.

If you put the section markers into separate text frames, placed somewhere on a page, they will move with the page.

If you put the section markers into flow text and add text before, they will move with the flow text, wherever the automatic flow places it.

If you place a section marker on the page that is the begin of a section, then it will move with page.

The suspicion raises you have the marker on the master page. Did you?

• 2. Re: Sections of Document Don't Move with Text
            Migintosh Level 4

I haven't worked with long documents for a little while, and I've never had to do sections, but what you describe as the way you expect it to work isn't how I understand it to work.

dEaF TO LiGhT wrote:

I add some information, text after flows into next pages, but the section 2 marker stays on page 29 even after the first page with header "Newspapers" has now moved to page 31.

If you change the amount of text to a section, and it causes the text that you would like associated with the next section to move ahead of the page where you had placed the second section start, you haven't actually moved the section start. You have only moved text around within the section starts you already had. If you were to insert or delete pages within the first section, you would move the page that has the section start up or back, but I don't think changing the content will do that for you, even if it adds pages.

• 3. Re: Sections of Document Don't Move with Text
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think this might be doable with Smart Text Reflow (which I hate and never use) IF the sections are bbroken down into individual stories and you set the STR options to add/remove at the end of sections.

• 4. Re: Sections of Document Don't Move with Text
                dEaF TO LiGhT Level 1

Thanks!  I think I figured it out... You all were right, I had to unlink the text boxes so that each section was its own story.  Honestly, I don't even think I need sections because I'm using running headers for the footnotes.  What I'm confused by now is that when I was editing the sections, sometimes when adding starts of sections in different locations, it would give me the warning about page number existing in a different section.  I didn't know how to get around this, as all of my section markers were different.  The page numbers all look like they are accurate though.  The only weird thing I'm noticing is that when I do a find/replace through the document, it seems to go through the document in a weird order.  I assume this has something to do with the section starts and these warnings.  I thought, since there's no end of section marker, that adding start of sections would imply that the previous section would end there.  I don't know how to fix this issue, and I hope it doesn't cause me more problems down the line.