5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 9:06 AM by christinicalia

invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.

Welcome, James McAlister Level 1

I get a initial 'scratch disk error' message saying "The scratch disks are write protected or unavailiable. to opn this project the scratch disks will need to be set to your my documets folder. would you like to continue?" Then when i set my scratch disks to the appropriate folder, and try to render, I get the error message "invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location." I have read through forums but can't figure it out. please help.

• 1. Re: invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page to learn the program?

• 2. Re: invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

We should not have to go over your details from the beginning if one refers back to your prior thread on this type of matter.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1352746

You are using Premiere Elements 12 on Mac.

Additional details are in your December 2013 thread whose link is given.

But, I would ask this "What has happened with this matter since December 2013 until now April 2014?". When last heard from, you had high hopes of success and were going to do that testing. Never heard from you since. What happened?

Have you re-read your December 2013 thread? I wonder since you wrote

I have read through forums but can't figure it out.

Is that you in that December 2013 thread?

Looking forward to putting this altogether so that we know that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements 12 Mac projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.
              christinicalia Level 1

I am encountering the same problem.  I have a Mac OS X 10.8.5 with no external drives but 448 GB of internal hard drive space left.  I attempted to create a folder to save the scratch disks and I still receive the same message. 

• 4. Re: invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

christinicalia

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on your Mac computer?

Have you gone to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, noted were they were all point and made sure that there was enough free hard drive space at that location?

Scratch Disks folders are typically generated automatically and do not need for you to create folders for them.

You go to the preference area cited, designate your save location, and then a folder will automatically be generated at that location.

The preview files are found in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder which by default is located in the Adobe Folder.

In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to it would be Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\13 in your case. I am strictly and Elements Windows

user, so I am not sure of the path in Premiere Elements Mac.

Please review and consider and then we can move forward from there is the above did not resolve any of the issues.Please give more details as necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: invalid scratch disk path for video previews. please change it to some other location.
                  christinicalia Level 1

Hi,

I am using Premiere Elements 13 . " My documents " folder states that I have 102.9 MB available.  I went to my documents and I see the Adobe folder and the folder for Adobe Premiere Elements but it still wont save.  Also, when  I do save my videos with added audio, the video plays correctly but I hear a static noise where the audio is supposed to be.