10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2014 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere element 11

Gilles13

when i select a file ( .PREL ) a red window says = media offline ? so i cannot see my footage .!!!!!

• 1. Re: Premiere element 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

media offline

You may now read previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

• 2. Re: Premiere element 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

Let us go through the information that you already have. I suspect that the answer to the issue is in what you know already.

Given you have Premiere Elements 11. On what computer operating system is it running?

You open the program and you create a new project. That project is represented as a file name Name of Project.prel.

Here is what we need to clarify

when i select a file ( .PREL ) a red window says = media offline ? so i cannot see my footage

Are you saying that, when you open a project that you have previously created, saved, closed, you are greeted by "Where is the file....?" missing media (Media Offline) messages? If that is the case...

a. you have moved, deleted, or renamed folder files after you saved closed the project...use the message to reconnect the source media saved to the hard drive to the project

or

b. you have your project's source media saved to an external hard drive and the drive letter of the external hard drive has changed for some unknown reason

Important: What you have in a project are copies of the source media that are residing saved to the computer hard drive. The project's copies need to trace back to those originals on the hard drive. Can you still see your originals on the hard drive? If you can, then you insert that location in the "Where is  ?" message(s) one by one, hoping that you get lucky and one reconnect triggers the rest.

If this is an external hard drive problem, then we can copy the originals to the Local Disc C and use that location when we do the reconnects with the "Where is  ? " message(s).

Please review and consider. And, do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification.

We will customize the response to your particular situation.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere element 11
              Gilles13 Level 1

Good day Mr Romano . First off , I used this software for at least 5 months without problems . And now I cannot even get it going .

Now this is what i have this morning ...

Answers:

1- when I Open premiere 11  

In File I select open project

It takes me to my external drive

I then select a folder named 2014.  In this folder I do have : - 2014.log   44 bytes

-2014.prel  59kbs

I then select the .Prel file  , it takes me back to my software page with the title of my project on the R/H corner . This page ask me to "ADD Media "  I then click the ADD Media , it takes me to the Files & folders where I see in my files "Grey out "

I click import and A window appears saying .." ADD Media Failure , this type of files not supported , or the required codec is not installed " here is the listof what is listed  : .DS_Store, .LOG , .PREL, Editing .Layout ..

This is where I am at ....

Rgds

I dont get this at all . PLS PLS If I buy a better software will i be able to recup all my videos??

Rgds

Gillis13

• 4. Re: Premiere element 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

Let us take this one step at a time.

1. With Premiere Elements 11 Windows closed.

Go to

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Then try to open your saved/closed project (project.prel file). What happens, same as before or problem gone?

2. From what you wrote, it sounds like you have Premiere Elements 11 set to open to its editor workspace, bypassing the Welcome Screen. File Menu/Open Project should then allow you to select your saved closed project on the external hard drive. Have you noticed that the drive letter of that external hard drive has changed since you last opened the project months ago?

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on this computer with Premiere Elements 11? Are you running the program Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next.

If you move on from Premiere Elements to another video editor, the project files (project.prel) will not be usuable in another video editor. But, your original files on the hard drive and any exports from Premiere Elements will be independant of Premiere Elements.

But let us see what we can do to get your Premiere Elements 11 working for you again.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere element 11
                  Gilles13 Level 1

Hi this is what I have in my 11.0  Folder  I do not see  “ ……..Elements Prefs “ .( The top 11.0 Folder is empty ).I recup all my files ?

Rgds

Gillis13

• 6. Re: Premiere element 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

You may have detoured off the specific folder path. Please look at the following screenshot, starting with the header with the path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Prefs.jpg

Can you now find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as well as the 11.0 Folder in which it exists. Do not delete anything until we are in sync of these details.

Thanks. We will be watching for your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...You do have Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" active?

• 7. Re: Premiere element 11
                      Gilles13 Level 1

Hi I searched for the “ … Prefs “ folder in the 11.0 folder . ( I added a line to my computer to see all the Hidden files ). I could not see it .

Right now I believe a phone support would be best , I bought this software cuz I could not afford to loose any of my clips , so pls advise on what’s next .

Rgds

Gillis

• 8. Re: Premiere element 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

Thanks for the reply.

I do not believe Adobe will help you on this since you have Premiere Elements 11 which is not the latest version, not even Adobe Chat. But, you could try.

But, I do not understand why you are not finding the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. How did you install Premiere Elements 11 - purchased download files from Adobe or installation disc? I would prefer to avoid an uninstall/ccleaner run through/reinstall, but, if you have followed the path and instructions, then it is time..

I have assumed that your Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer. Which computer operating system are you using?

So first...just in case, could you post a screenshot comparable to what I have shown in post 6 so that we can see what is in that 11.0 Folder that you are looking at?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere element 11
                          Gilles13 Level 1

Mr Romano I am on a MAC . I installed the latest version weeks ago of the Maveric OS.  Talk to U later .

Rgds

Gilles

• 10. Re: Premiere element 11
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gilles13

Thanks for the reply with the important informaton on the computer operating system on which your Premiere Elements 11 is running. I have been assuming that you were using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but, from what I have read, you should be able to find and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file in your Mac computer

Users

User Name

Library

Application Support

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

If that is of no avail, you might consider the uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall of the program provided that you have installation files or an installation disc and the purchased serial number.

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

Did you purchase your Premiere Elements 11 from the Mac App Store as "Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor" or did you purchase it from Adobe as Premiere Elements 11 Mac? The Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor from the Mac App Store has been a very problematic product and has been discontinued by Mac App Store. Either way I do not believe that you will get support from the Mac App Store or Adobe.

We will be watching for further developments when you get the chance.

Thanks.

ATR