18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 9:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Burning a DVD

premier elements 11

I have saved my film but when I go into publish & share, the burn icon is greyed out and it says it cannot find a burner, but I have a burner and it works

Can you help please?

David Mort

• 1. Re: Burning a DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create a DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to the folder to DVD (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 2. Re: Burning a DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

premier elements 11

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running? And, can we assume that you are using Premiere Elements 11 since you opted to use that as your Adobe ID?

For now, I will assume that you are using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Next question is "Are you working with a Blu-ray DVD burner or just a DVD burner?"

If a DVD burner is involved and including all my assumptions about program and operating system, then I would suggest that you refresh the DVD drivers according to the following Adobe document. This procedure has worked for many in the "DVD burner not recognized by Premiere Elements" situation.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

Have you determined that you can take your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO via burn to folder/ImgBurn even if you cannot do the burn to disc?

We will be watching for further details. You do not have to settle for burn to folder, only as a last resort short of trying another burner.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Burning a DVD
              premier elements 11 Level 1

Dear AT

Thanks for your reply, but before I try your suggestion I will answer your questions

I am using a computer with Windows 7 Professional and 4 Mb RAM

I use a DVD burner (not Blu ray) and I have premier elements 11

I will keep you posted

Many thanks

David Mort

• 4. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A.T.

I have had a look at this connection and it only seems to apply to Windows XP, 2000 & Vista. No mention of Windows 7

Have I got the wrong one ?

Best wishes

David Mort

• 5. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A T

Thanks for your reply, before I try yousr suggestion I would confirm that I am using a Windows 7 computer with 4 Gb RAM. I have a DVD burner and am using Premier Elements 11

• 6. Re: Burning a DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

premier elements 11

From what is in the refreshing the DVD drivers link already cited as well as what is in this Microsoft link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I believe the procedures to applicable to DVD burner situation in Windows 7 64 bit.

You could establish a Restore Point beforehand if necessary.

Please consider and then let us know if any questions. Have you made Registry edits before?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A.T

Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid it doesn’t help much.

My computer is new and I spoke to the fellow who looks after it and he ran some checks. I have a 12 month agreement with him.

It is Windows 7 Professional with 64 bit

I have actually burned many CD’s DVD’s on this computer, so I know it is working. He checked it and agreed it does.

He says I don’t have a problem with the DVD burner, but the Premier software won’t find the burner so it is a problem with Premier Elements. When I go into Publish & Share under status I get “ no burner detected”, but I know it works

He says you sent me information on “ yellow question mark fix” and I am afraid it didn’t help me much.

Kind regards

Help

David Mort

• 8. Re: Burning a DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

David Mort

Thanks for the reply.

Could you get your fellow who is supporting your computer to give the refreshing the DVD drivers a try?

The problem of Premiere Elements not recogizing the burner can exist when Windows does recognize the burner. And, in those instances, the procedure referred to has remedied the Premiere Elements burner recogition issue.

This has the prospects of correcting the situation.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

Did he read that and try that or just dismiss it based on his computer, rather than Premiere Elements, experiences? Did he say that the burner firmware was up to date? It would be good for him to try it since you have the 12 month agreement with him. You do not want to void any agreements.

Have you looked into a Premiere Elements deactivation from within the program, uninstall (Control Panel area), ccleaner run through, and reinstall?

But, since this person is in the computer business, does he have an USB external burner that you could use with Premiere Elements to determine if that USB external burner would or would not be recognized by your Premiere Elements?

We will watch for further developments. We are eager for you to succeed so that you can move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Burning a DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David Mort,

Back in Reply #1, John T. Smith furnished some links to articles/threads on burners not being detected.

In the third one, an explanation is offered for probably the most common cause of this - other software has hooked the burner at bootup, and is treating it as, say a removable HDD, and is reporting this to the OS. PrE goes through the OS to access the burner, so if the OS has been told that the burner is really a removable HDD, it will only tell PrE that.

Some other burning software, such as ImgBurn, interfaces with the burner at a lower level - the mechanical level, and bypasses the OS to detect the burner.

Some of the common interfering programs are listed in that article.

Unfortunately, having another program hook the burner is not the ONLY cause for this issue, but is the most common one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Burning a DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

premier elements 11

To factor in or out Hunt's latest suggestion, can you or your support person tell us if this is the case in your situation?

other software has hooked the burner at bootup, and is treating it as, say a removable HDD, and is reporting this to the OS.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A.T.

I have been asked to send this on to you. Perhaps you would be kind enough to have a look at it and see if this helps with a solution to my problem

Regards

David Mort

• 12. Re: Burning a DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

David Mort

Good morning. Just starting my day and saw your latest post (numbered 11 in your thread).

Is there a screenshot missing or something else? You mention a sending but nothing seems to have been posted except the message that you "have been asked to send this to" me.

We will watch for further messages.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Burning a DVD

Sorry  A T

,I should have sent this

David

• 14. Re: Burning a DVD
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

David,

I suspect there is a problem in the sending route.

How are you sending what you want me to review?

a. responding from an email notification

b. responding from a cell phone

c. responding by going to your computer, opening browser, going to Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, and posting the sending.

In what format is the sending...jpg screenshot or something else?

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A.T.

I thought you should know that I downloaded Windows Movie Maker last night ( as Windows 7 doesn’t have it ) made a film of my slides and BURNT a DVD. So my computer does recognise the DVD. So it must be Adobe Premier that is causing the problem

What do you think?

Regards

David

• 16. Re: Burning a DVD

Dear A.T.

I have tried sending via forums_noreply@adobe.com AND jive-734394622-14y27-2-3qyme@mail.forums.adobe.com

The first I had back as undelivered the second one obviously went through, as I did not get it back

Best wishes

David

• 17. Re: Burning a DVD

I have found when I have made my film there is publish+share in the top right corner. If I click on that I get a series of icons.

The burn a disc say that it cannot find the burner, BUT AVCHD says I can burn

What is AVCHD & can I use it for burning my disc

Also if that can find my disc why can’t the “ burn disc “ find it

Any little helps !

Cheers

David

• 18. Re: Burning a DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Are you saying that, when you take your Timeline content to Publish+Share/Disk/DVD disc, there is not entry in the Burner location field? But your burner is shown in the Burner Location field when you choice is AVCHD instead of DVD?

Share11Disc.JPG

When your choice is AVCHD, you are putting your Timeline content in AVCHD format on a DVD disc.

Gains: your video resolution is 1920 x 1080 and not 720 x 480. Considerations: disc capacity for this high resolution product and finding a player for it. The run of the mill DVD player will not play back AVCHD format on a DVD disc. Need Blu-ray player. More information later.

The AVCHD structure includes a BDMV Folder.

The DVD-VIDEO structure includes a VIDEO_TS Folder.

When your choice is DVD, you are putting your Timeline content in DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc.

Gains: although your frame size is 720 x 480, this product can be played back on the DVD-Player.

If you have the player (standalone or on computer), explore the AVCHD on DVD disc, keeping disc capacity and the Space Required in mind.

ATR