10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 6:07 AM by JJMack RSS

How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?

TinRobot44 Community Member

I have been using Sketchbook Pro to draw becuase the brushes seem to work so much better, but I feel that Photoshop must do the same thing, if I only knew how.  I want to draw with say, a charcoal style brush.  I want the pressure with my Cintiq to both vary the size and the opacity.  In Photoshop, I can only seem to make the size vary with pressure which results in a solid black line no matter what.  Here is the difference, in the attached picture.  Note how the Sketchbook line has variation in both size and density resulting in a much more natural look.

brush test.jpg

So what settings do I need to check to make the build up get darker the more I brush or the harder I press?

• 1. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
          JJMack MVP

In scetchbook it looks like bush size and paint opacity are both set to pen pressure where you have only set Photoshop brush size to Pen pressure.

Photoshop may have to many brush types and brush control for you. How much have you played with Photoshop brushes. Photoshop was not developed as a paint program but over the years Photoshop paint engine has evolved into a quite powerful feature.  Be careful using wet mixer brushes if you make the brush tip large there can be disturbing lag in Photoshop response time.Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
            boo radley 2013 Community Member

go the the brush panel. click on th word 'shape dynamics', so it's highlighted and so that there's a checkmark beside it. Keep the 'size jitter' slider at 0. Under 'size jitter', select 'Pen Pressure' from the drop-down menu. Make sure 'minimum diameter' just underneath that menu is set to 0. Leave everything else alone.

Next, back over on the left, click on the word "Transfer' so there's a checkmark beside it. Keep 'Opacity Jitter' at 0. In the drop-down menu underneath that, select 'Pen Pressure'. Beneath that, the 'Minimum' slider should be set to 0. Beneath that, 'Flow Jitter' should also be 0. Ignore everything else.

Your brush should now vary in size and opacity when you paint.

• 3. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?

Thank you.  So it looks like turning on that button to the right of the opacity turns on the feature I want, but then I am not seeing any control over the paremeters for it.  Is there any?  I have all those brushes open, but I can't seem to find a rough charcoal style one like I use in Sketchbook.  Do you know if one exists?  There are some similar, but nothing quite as natural, as far as I can see.

• 4. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
                Trevor.Dennis MVP

You could also check your Wacom Preferences.  I find it very difficult to get fine control at the bottom end, regardless of brush settings, when using the default settings.  Pushing tip sensitivity way up makes all the difference.

• 5. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
                  JJMack MVP

There are many  controls and you can create you own presets with the controls turn on and set to pen pressure. Photoshop ships with many brush presets that you can load and used.  Some are a charcoal type brushes.  I loaded up many Photoshop brush presets and outline some in red.  You can create you own and download ones that others have created and placed on the web. Checkout one supergirl brush I downloaded.

And check out Google

https://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+charcoal+brush&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS546US546&oq=Photo shop+char&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5.24972j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?

Wow, these are really helpful tips.  Thank you so much.  And I must get the Supergirl Brush!  So now I know, but I still have a few questions about how this works.  If I choose, say, Crayon and I make an adustment to it, like Shape Dynamics, I find that when I change brushes and go back to it, the adjustment has reset to how it was originally.  How do I keep it the way I set?

I have loaded a bunch of brushes, but many are useless to me.  I presume I can delete them so that I only have the brushes I want and then I can save that set with a name like, "My natural brushes".  When I delete them, I hope I am only deleting from the set and not completely deleting them.  That is, I could load them again.  Now with what looks like well over a hundred brushes loaded, it seems quite tedious to select them one at a time to deltete.  Is there a more user friendly brush management interface that allows me to see the brushes and just multi drag them out? 

And one more question!  Some brushes have this odd animated brush on screen at the top left.  What's the point of that and why do some brushes have this and some do not?

Thanks everyone for your tips.

David

• 7. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
                      Trevor.Dennis MVP

TinRobot44 wrote:

Wow, these are really helpful tips.  Thank you so much.  And I must get the Supergirl Brush!  So now I know, but I still have a few questions about how this works.  If I choose, say, Crayon and I make an adustment to it, like Shape Dynamics, I find that when I change brushes and go back to it, the adjustment has reset to how it was originally.  How do I keep it the way I set?

Save it as a new preset.

TinRobot44 wrote:

I have loaded a bunch of brushes, but many are useless to me.  I presume I can delete them so that I only have the brushes I want and then I can save that set with a name like, "My natural brushes".  When I delete them, I hope I am only deleting from the set and not completely deleting them.  That is, I could load them again.  Now with what looks like well over a hundred brushes loaded, it seems quite tedious to select them one at a time to deltete.  Is there a more user friendly brush management interface that allows me to see the brushes and just multi drag them out? 

Do we know what operating system ypu are using?  If Windows 7 (and possible 8.1) go to

C:\users\your user name\App Data\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop (CC CS6 I don't know what you are using)\presets\brushes

What I do is have this folder open while going threough the brush sets in Photoshop, and rename them so they appear in sensible alphabetical order.  I also delete any dead wood.

The default set is called Standard, and IMO you should treat it with respect and not mess with it.  For instance I once went through the Standard set wondering why there were so many repeats, and deleted some of them.  I awarded myself **** of the Year for that act of stupidity as those apparent duplicates have different, and very useful, shape dynamics.

TinRobot44 wrote:

And one more question!  Some brushes have this odd animated brush on screen at the top left.  What's the point of that and why do some brushes have this and some do not?

David

For tablets with pressure, tilt, and rotational sensitivity.  Note: if you have a Wacom tablet, only the optional Art Pen has rotational sensitivity.

• 8. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
                        Trevor.Dennis MVP

One more little tip, for everyone really.  It seems to be the way of the world nowadays, that everything you download tries to accompany the DL and install additional shite on your computer.  A coupld of safe options for Photoshp brushes are Adobe Exchange, and Deviant Art.  Even the latter is tricky with the brush download link being in tiny text (underneath BOOK HERE)

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Super-Woman-photoshop-brushs-50994691

super woman.JPG

One last tip:  Some brush sets come in as Zip files.  In keeping with my idea of renaming brush .abr files, you can actually do this inside Winzip before dragging it into the Brush folder.  I always leave enough info in the brush name to identify the source, but most seem to come with preset of the author's logo.

• 9. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?

Thank you Trevor.  I am on a Mac and I navigate to the folder with the brush sets, but only see the sets, by name, iike Natural Brushes, Dry Media Brushes, etc.  There is no set called "Standard".  I also can only see these sets, but I can't open them to see the individual brushes in them unless I just open them in Photoshop, like I already have, but it doesn't sound like that' what you mean.  I wonder if it's different on the Mac than on PC in this regard, but I can't see how to get into these sets in a window (not in Photoshop) in order to delete brushes I don't need or like, even just move them out to another set.

Wait, I just found this video, which explains it on a Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcXJPjRnt0

So it looks like I have to use this preset manager and then, once I have my set of brushes loaded, I can save that set from within Photoshop.  I also found this app which might be useful http://www.brushpilotapp.com/

Oh, and as regards that moving brush graphic thing, I do have a Cintiq and so I see it there, but I don't know what the point of it is.  It's just irritating and I wish it could go away as it doesn't provide any useful info, as far as I can see.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: How do you make a truly pressure sensitive brush?
                            JJMack MVP

Trevor Dennis wrote:

A coupld of safe options for Photoshp brushes are Adobe Exchange, and Deviant Art.  Even the latter is tricky with the brush download link being in tiny text (underneath BOOK HERE)

The former doesn't work on my machine. If I try to download something with Adobe Exchange Photoshop CC crashes in IMSLib.dll.  The Behance CC Icon will also crash Photoshop CC In IMSLib.dll on my workstation.

Now I have been around computers since 1965.  Install Photoshop starting with Photoshop 3.0.  Adobe use to do a very good job updating Photoshop lately Adobe has  been  very sloppy.

I find I need to keep several version of Photoshop installed so when Adobe breaks the current version of Photoshop I still have something to use. 

I looked a little at the IMSLib.dll crashes they seem to happen at two location in the library module.  If I rename my Photoshop Preference folder and start Photoshop  Behance Icon and Exchange will work.  However if I migrate my preset, load actions, patterns, brushes, etc Photoshop crashes in IMSLib.dll in those features.  Resetting preferences does not fix the crash problem either.   Also I have no idea which version of IMSLib.dll is failing or if several are crashing. For when I look for IMSLib.dll on my system I see I have 14 files by that name  and at least 10 different versions for the files sizes differ.  Adobe release an IMSLib.dll replacement fix did that fix replace all 14 files with ten different versions??

Capture.jpg