2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 12:21 AM by Mylenium

Anti-aliasing Text in AE

Geotan Level 1

I am making an intro in AE (I am fairly new to this). I am using Photoshop to create a text with some effects on it that I couldn't create in AE. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of anti-aliasing AE uses as I really like the final look of it and want it for the text I am going to make in Photoshop.

• 1. Re: Anti-aliasing Text in AE
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to remember that video moves and that you cannot judge text with a still frame. If you are using layer effects in Photoshop they should come in just fine for supported features. Some Photoshop layer effects are not supported in AE and layer effects can break the rendering order for other effects.

Personally, I'd create the text in AE, convert the text to shapes, add layer effects and work entirely in AE, then do test renders to a frame based (not MPEG) production codec that would playback in real time, and then render my final output from the production codec using the Adobe Media Encoder.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the skills you gain in Photoshop, Illustrator, and even In Design will help you do a mograph project but you cannot use the criteria you use to judge a non moving image to judge how it will look in a video.

• 2. Re: Anti-aliasing Text in AE
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Rick said - ultimately it's irrelevant what technical methods AE uses for rasterizing text, antialiasing and filtering, since you have to work with what you get. Therefore fancying up stuff in PS does not do you any good. Unless you exclusively use it as pre-rasterized pixel data, the look will change once you convert it to editable layers in AE. Still, even "frozen" pixel data would still be oversampled, resampled, sub-pixel positioned using AE's routines. So for what it's worth, rather than trying to evade or circumvent the issue, learn how to achieve the look you want directly in AE. This will make the process much more painless.

Mylenium