9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 8:20 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing

Hi,

I have been successfully capturing HDV from my Canon HV20 for a number of years. 

It now shows tape as being captured, but the end result is an MPEG file of 564 bytes (5 attempts).  There is also a 'Stop Motion Capture' file (empty).

I have not changed my capture settings,  so find this baffling and frustrating!

Assistance would be gratefuly received.

Michael

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Please confirm what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 11 is running on? I could not locate that information from your prior posts.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks - where are Captured Video and Captured Audio directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

At this point, can you do a successful troubleshooting test capture firewire into Windows Live Movie Maker or HDVSplit?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
            23996645 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry for not incl system information!  Here it is:

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz    39 °C

Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 635MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

MSI IONA (CPU 1)    36 °C

Graphics

HP 2509 (1920x1080@59Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 5570 (HP)    40 °C

Hard Drives

932GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 (SATA)    32 °C

Optical Drives

hp DVD-RAM GH40L

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

I have 600+GB free on the capture drive (C:).

I do not have Win Live Movie Maker.  I tried Win Media Encoder, and that appeared to capture the tape, but was then stuck in an endless 'encoding' loop.  I will download Win Movie Maker and try that (and let you know the results).

Hope this helps.  I really appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the follow up information.

We will be watching for your results when you get the time.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                23996645 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I managed to capture the tape (sometimes), but am having some difficulty with saving and file extensions e.g. one capture was in .dvr-ms (which I believe is a television format).

Also Movie Maker sometimes recognized the camcorder correctly, and others just as a DV camcorder.

I am beginning to wonder if it may be my camcorder (around 7 years old).  The camcorder screen does not always show the menu / movie - just a vertical bar on a gray background .  The problem is that I have a lot of tapes to be captured, then turned into DVDs.  Is there an alternate way to capture mini DV cassettes?

Michael

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html

-and Windows http://forums.adobe.com/message/4708997

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture -archived at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

First, there is no need for you to be working from Premiere Pro documents to troubleshoot a Premiere Elements project, no matter what the similarities or differences between programs.

The following is the Adobe document for Premiere Elements Capture.

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

Next, I suspect I know the problem that you are now in when you went to troubleshoot with an alternative firewire route.

I do not think that you are working in Windows Movie Maker (sometimes seen as Windows Live Movie Maker). Because of this "dvr-ms" product that you have, I think that you detoured into the Windows Media Center. You do not want that. Please confirm whether or not that is the case.

Let me backup a bit...

If you are not already....open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert Workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings area, for DV data capture, set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen (whichever reflects the source); for HDV data capture, set the project preset for NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30 (whatever reflects the source). Before you leave that area, be sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the last dialog that you see there (new project dialog).

Then...

If you are trying to do HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit Capture Window, before you start the Capture, select Add Media/HDV Capture?

If you are trying to do DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit Capture Window, before you start the Caputre, select  Add Media/DV Capture?

We will try to get you details on programs other than Premiere Elements 11 for your troubleshooting cross checking. But, the information requested above will help us to customize the reply to your specific situation.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

If you are cross checking the Premiere Elements capture firewire

a. For HDV data capture firewire, please use

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/HDVSplit.sht ml

With this program, you can end up with split clips, MPEG2.m2t which you can import into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the clips to the Timeline. Project preset set by you or the program should be NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30.

b. For DV data capture firewire, please use

With this program, you can end up with split clips, DV AVI standard or widescreen which you can import into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the clips to the Timeline. Project preset set by you or the program should be NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen.

Remember you want DV AVI Type 2, not DV AVI Type 1.

I have not tried this link, but

http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                        23996645 Level 1

Hi ATR,

You were spot on!  Somehow my settings had drastically changed, and I did not think to check them. Duh!

Thank you so much for all your help.  Once again you are a star.

Have a wonderful day!

Michael

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 11 stopped capturing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for that wonderful follow up news. Good job sorting out the details to success.

Best wishes

ATR