6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 8:20 AM by ENiGMA

Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)

ENiGMA

Hi guys, first, not native english speaker. I'm working around an educational-purposed project, combination of one of Andrew Kramer's tutorial and some imagination. The thing is: Does really Advanced Lightning do what it should do?

I know I should've submitted this through the form, I tried but I don't like forms, too formal, and maybe they didn't even looked at the video I made, where I explain exactly what's happening along with my 3AM Frustration.

I just want you guys to know about this bug, and maybe someone figures somehow a Workaround (I tried many, really), I was a bit mad when I edited the video (5 mins ago, is 3:30AM now ). I fought that plugin for hours? Because I discovered the little bug after I made some work so every change I had to do, had to be made in every comp using the effect...

Seems like Andrew Kramer didn't had this bug so proeminent... Also, it looks like doesn't matter if it's Full Res, Quarter; Adaptive or Fast Draft preview method... 8, 16 or 32 bpc, for me is the same thing, auto-animating lightning....

BTW, Using AE CS6.

Here is the attached video (non-public/unlisted):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho3wdEaAUfE&feature=youtu.be

Also, I saw someone from Adobe replied to a bug post on this forum, that's one of the reasons why I posted here, curious about their reaction also

Good Night!

• 1. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand what the bug is. If you set some keyframes for any of the parameters the lightning will animate. If there are no keyframes the lightning will stay in the same shape with the same color.

I watched your video 3 times and I don't see what is going wrong. No keyframes with changing values, no movement in the lightning. Set a keyframe and the shape of the lightning changes.

I'm not sure I even understand what you want to happen. I see a bunch of animated lightning layers in a 3D comp all of the layers have keyframes. Please explain what is going on that you don't expect. If there really is a bug you should be able to demonstrate it with a single layer and a single instance of the effect. Putting multiple instances of the effect on a single layer might do something but I can't get any unexpected behavior with even 20 instances of Advanced Lightning on a single layer. I animated Decay, set one keyframe at frame 0 and another at frame 60. The lightning animates from frame 0 to frame 60 and then all motion stops as expected.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Just like Rick I have no idea what you are talking about and your video is unclear. You went through a lot of trouble for nothing. why not simply spell out what you think is wrong?

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
              ENiGMA Level 1

Exactly that is the problem Rick. For you (and some other) it is working as expected. For me, it goes rogue, and I don't know why and how to fix it...

The first "BUG" I bumped into, was the one at the final of the video, where animating decay on a single effect, makes forks pop, disappear and appear randomly . Reducing forking strenght to 40% may help but then I had to rise other values...

The newer problem here is... After some time, as you can see, lightning simply switches it's state and form, without any keyframes! That's really something I can't adjust from values...

Yes, the Decay motion stops, but there is additional flickering and effects on the forking (random visibility). This makes an effect in some way like instantly moving Direction Point. I'm pretty sure is something wrong with my station as there aren't many whom get this Adv.Light behavior... (I googled before posting, there was one guy who had the same problem but no one could help him )

Thanks for you answer.

• 4. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
                ENiGMA Level 1

I tried to cut the exact parts of video where it happens (without cut the steps to reproduce it) . I'm sorry if it's unclear, I just explained it in detail as reply to Rick. Now, with these details, if you rewatch carefully the video on a high quality, you can see what I'm talking about...

Because I was sleepy I forgot to add actual details of this behavior on the video (sorry).

• 5. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Animating the decay and otehr parameters affects the internal per-segment value multipliers, so what you see is perfectly within how the effect was designed. You simply expect it to work differently and I think I know what you want - you want it to calculate the lightning once and then simply animate the "growth", but that's just not how it works.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Adv. Lightning BUG Video (Because Submitting Bugs is too mainstream)
                    ENiGMA Level 1

Thank you for reply. I now understand isn't a BUG. Well, I think that's about VFX Making, Creativity and finding ways to do what do you imagine... I'll find some other way to polish my effect. Thanks for help and kindness .