6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 6:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements does not recognise prel file

Herbie53

I saved a project to DVD (photos with background music) Elements does not recognise "prel" file when trying to reload project. How do i open file in Premiere Elements 10

• 1. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Herbie53

What version of Premiere Elements are you now using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What version of Premiere Elements was used to create the project and on what computer operating system was it run on?

What did you save to the DVD disc

a. project.prel file

b. project archived to Trimmed or Copied Folder?

c. other

When you say that "Elements" is not recognizing your "prel" file, are you getting any error message(s)? If so, what is the exact wording of such message(s).

Let us start here and then decide what next. Answers to all the questions will expedite matters.

As background, please review the Adobe document on damaged project.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
            Herbie53 Level 1

Premiere Elements 10 with Windows 8

Premiere Elements 5  not sure if it was Vista or XP

Project.prel file

If I open Elements 10, then open project, click on DVD player two files appear (OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS) both if selected say "no items match your search"

If I try top open an old project

click on a file type - Adobe Premiere Elements Project. A window appears "File Import Failure" in this window is a message saying - Error message This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.

Hope this helps, in the mean time I will try make a new DVD with my current version of Elements

Regards

Chris (Herbie53)

• 3. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

If I understand what you are doing, PrE cannot Import a .PREL file, but should be able to Open it. Import is for media files, not Project files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris (Herbie53)

There was no Premiere Elements 5 and 6. The version numbers went 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (latest) So you probably use Premiere Elements 4 or maybe 7 on probably Windows 32 bit XP or Vista.

Case 1. (Here we assume that you have the project.prel file (project) saved to a DVD disc as data disc.)

Even if you had saved that older Premiere Elements project file (project.prel) along with copies of the media that went into it, it is still questionable whether that old project.prel could be opened in Premiere Elements 12. But, assuming that the media was still connected to it (which it probably is not), you could try by right clicking the project.prel file and selecting Open With Premiere Elements 12. Have you gone that route, and the project would not open or you were greeted by "Where is the file...?" messages.

Case 2. (Here we assume that, when you were using the the older program, you took the project Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc...this is not the project.prel file, but an export of it.)

In this situation, if you put your DVD disc in the burner tray and explored it, you would see two folders, one named OpenDVD and another named VIDEO_TS. This is your best case scenario. If this is the case.....

a. Put your DVD disc in the burner tray.

b. Open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset for either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen. For now, we will assume NTSC DV Standard. Then, before you exit that area, in the last dialog that you see (new project dialog), make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

c. Next, back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, use Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer where you will select video files from the VIDEO_TS Folder to bring into the Premiere Elements 12 project. You will have to redo the menu in 12. The video files that you want from the VIDEO_TS Folder typically start with VTS_01_1.VOB and continue in series which can be detailed later.

Goal right now is to sort through the details so that we are in sync on what you have in order to enable us to be confident about the troubleshooting strategy.

We will be watching for your comments and results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On.....The classical recommendation has always been to complete a project in the program in which it was created. But let us see what can be done here.

• 5. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
                  meganjanelle Level 1

I'm having a similar challenge .. but I created the film in PrE 12 and can't open it in PrE 12!!!

• 6. Re: Elements does not recognise prel file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

meganjanelle

What computer operating system is involved?

What were the export settings that you used in Premiere Elements 12 to create this movie file that cannot be imported into Premiere Elements 12?

Please detail.

Just in case request....please verify that you are trying to open an export file from a Premiere Elements 12 project file and that you are not trying to open a Premiere Elements 12 project file in another Premiere Elements 12 project file.

Thank you.

ATR