10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 4:00 PM by amxyz

What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?

theking2 Level 1

Unbenannt-1.png

Hi! In the german version of ID CS6 some shortcut keys are not exactly clear. What keys do I need to press to show or hide the help lines?

• 1. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That looks like a very sad localization error to me. I mean, German doesn't actually use y-with-diaeresis, does it? And the shortcuts using ÿ should actually be the apostrophe. If I recall correctly the MacRoman encoding puts a left single quote mark where, in Unicode, you find a y-with-diaeresis. I'm not sure what "hilfslinien" are in the English version - Google Translate gives me "witness lines" which I'm sure is helpful to someone who is not me - but I'm guessing they're guides of some sort, so I'd try the semicolon to replace the U-with-diaeresis.

Also, I'd try replacing your preferences to see if that would correct the issue.

• 2. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I suppose that you have loaded  a Dutch shortcut file. You can adjust your shortcut menu and asign your own shortcuts.

But on a German QWERTZ keyboard you should have the Üü on the right, between P and +, below ?ß and above Ö and Ä,  only Ÿ is missing of course, because it is not a German but only a Dutch Umlaut.

• 3. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
              pixxxel schubser Level 5

Here is a Screenshot of the (correct) german (CS5) menu for you:

Tastaturkuerzel.png

• 4. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
                theking2 Level 1

I have not loaded any shortcut file. This is the setting out-of-the-box. I also don't have a German QWERTZ, but a Swiss (German) keyboard (those are completely different layouts btw). I could imagine that an American product is confused by so much locality.

• 5. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
                  dool102 Level 1

I experienced the same problem in InDesign CC Dutch. Although I couldn't solve the core of the problem (error in localization file), you may find this solution usefull: Odd shortcut keys in InDesign CC [Win x64]

• 6. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
                    theking2 Level 1

Hey adobe! is someone from the team looking at this? or is this regarded as user to user twit ****?

• 7. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?

If you really want someone from Adobe looking at this issue (and you ought to!) I would suggest you try starting a support case. But no, these were once labeled the "User-to-User Forums" and, while there are staff that read and post, you're not guaranteed that Adobe employees are looking at your post.

That being said dool102's solution is about as correct as you're going to get. I mean, you could try a reinstall? It may just be that the installer chose the wrong shortcuts file for your installation. If that's not it, then the default shortcut file for your localization of InDesign can't be fixed without Adobe issuing an update for your localization of ID.

I've played around by editing the Shortcut Sets files (which are text-encoded XML inside, so you can browse 'em in your favorite text editor) and suspect that your issue derives from improper handling of the "action-id value" located there. But if you make new keyboard shortcuts for those items, it correctly assigns new values for your shortcut.

• 8. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
                        theking2 Level 1

This was after a fresh install, Joel. But thanks for pointing that out.

I understand that adobe doesn't really feel it should give user support. in other words don't give a ***-*** about users.

Or where do I submit a bug report?

• 9. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?

Even a fresh install can be damaged, you know. I had the hardest time getting my Middle East edition to install correctly until I uninstalled my Lao keyboard software.

Bug reports can be filed here, but you won't hear any resolution from Adobe unless you start a support case.

I'd be more sympathetic to your frustration if the fix wasn't so damned easy. But since I'm a localization wonk, I fix problems like this every day - it's in the job description.  

I think that their testing is limited to most-common-use-case scenario. I dunno if there is a Swiss-German locale for ID CS6 (there is one for CC), but I really doubt that they'd test the default-German install with a Swiss keyboard. It's just about as likely as, you know, a Romansh locale for ID.

• 10. Re: What are the shortcut keys Ü and ÿ?
                            amxyz Employee Moderator

Do you see the same issue in CC 2014, theking2? If so, can you provide a screenshot?

I'll alert the team of the issue. It's rather difficult for us to catch these kind of mistakes since most of us are not German

Thanks,

Amy