2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2007 8:57 AM by Dread_Pirate_Pete

Function vs Handler

Dread_Pirate_Pete
      Hello,

I am developing a simple game that among other things, needs to accept user names for an indefinite amount of players. I have everything working how I'd like except that, for example when the user inputs their name they can click "add player" button, or choose to press enter. For whatever reason, both of these actions (key down for text box, and mouseUp for button) call the same function. However, I seem to have to have this function on both the textBox and on the button. Long story short, how / where do you define a global function? I tried on the first frame of my movie where other global variables are initialized, but that just returns an error that the mouseUp or keydown don't know where the handler is. Appreciate the help in advance.

-Pete
        • 1. Re: Function vs Handler
          Level 7

Hi Pete,

it sounds like you missed out when movieScripts were mentioned :)

Create a script with Ctrl-Shift-U and place the 'global'
          function/handler in there.
          Creating a script with that key-combo makes the script a moviescript.
          Any other script can be converted to a movieScript through the script
          tab in the property inspector and the 'Type:' pulldown there.

That script can remain in the cast (it can't even be placed in the
          score) for it to work. All behaviors that don't have that specific
          function/handler-name in their own script will look in moviescripts if
          it can be found there. (and now they will)

HTH,
          Manno

Dread Pirate Pete wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I am developing a simple game that among other things, needs to accept user
          > names for an indefinite amount of players. I have everything working how I'd
          > like except that, for example when the user inputs their name they can click
          > "add player" button, or choose to press enter. For whatever reason, both of
          > these actions (key down for text box, and mouseUp for button) call the same
          > function. However, I seem to have to have this function on both the textBox and
          > on the button. Long story short, how / where do you define a global function? I
          > tried on the first frame of my movie where other global variables are
          > initialized, but that just returns an error that the mouseUp or keydown don't
          > know where the handler is. Appreciate the help in advance.
          >
          > -Pete
          >

--
          ----------
          Manno Bult
          http://www.aloft.nl
          • 2. Re: Function vs Handler
            Dread_Pirate_Pete Level 1
            I knew it was that easy. All of my scripts were showing as behaviors, and I tried the "global" drop down to no avail. It was not obvious to me how to use the movie script, but thanks so much for the help. Works like a charm, now only 1 function to update :D

-Pete