12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 6:10 AM by Uli Grimm

AE CC very slow rendering

Uli Grimm

Hi everybody

I just updated to the latest version of AE CC.

Now rendering in the AE render queue is extremly slow.

Projects that took an hour or two now take 12 hours or even longer!

It is the same running it through adobe media encoder!

Update:

It might be related to "upscaling" using the detail-preserving-filter.

It looks like these renderings are extremly slow with the new AE CC update.

The problem did not occur before.

Mac Pro

12-core

32 GB RAM

OSX Lion 10.7.5

Sonnet Raid DX800

• 1. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You updated from what? To 12.2.1, I'm assuming.

What format and codec is this footage to which you've applied the detail-preserving upscale effect?

• 2. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
            Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi Szalam

Thanks for your reply.

I updated to version 12.2.1.5 (from the previous one...)

I am using apple prores 422 HQ as source and I am rendering to the same codec. But I also tried several other codecs with the same slow result.

Just to tell again, this slow rendering did not occur with the previous version on the same machine, using the same codec.

Regards,

Uli

• 3. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If nothing has changed on your system (codecs, Quicktime update, operating system updates, antivirus software, etc.) other than updating your version of After Effects, this would seem like a genuine bug. You can file bug reports here.

• 4. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi Szalam

Indeed, nothing has changed at all. And it slowed down straight after the update. I will do some further testing to be sure it is related to scaling only and then report it.

Regards,

Uli

• 5. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                  gtmvfx

This is happening for our systems too. Using background render the render time jumps from ~1sec per frame to near 2 or 3 min. This is rendering comps that have a single flattened file. Exporting to CS6 and rendering from there resolves the issue. So this appears to be a CC bug.

• 6. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                    Uli Grimm Level 1

After a lot of testing it seems that AECC has indeed a huge problem rendering files when using detailed preserving upscale.

The rendering time in AE and ME are extremely high which means instead of 3 hours for a feature film of 90 minutes it takes 20 hours or more.

There are no other effects used at all!

When rendering a portion in RAM preview it does the job as expected but rendering out is a nightmare.

As we experienced even standard up-scaling has this issue.0

Is there anybody of Adobe to have a look at this? Detailed preserving upscale is a nice feature and was strongly advertised by Adobe.

But it should work much quicker. Obviously CS6 is not a solution for us.

• 7. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                      Uli Grimm Level 1

By the way... I already reported this as a bug but nobody answered.

I tried again a minute ago and the "report bug" page is not available...

• 8. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                        Uli Grimm Level 1

Anybody there from Adobe?

I have a 100 min Film Apple Prores 444 2048x858 (Cinemascope).

I want to render it to the same codec and size with some sequences (1/5 of the film) using detailed preserving upscale.

(100% detail, 15% noise reduction),

The rendering is still going on 50 hours passed, approximately 5 hours remaining!

Before the latest update of AE CC this took about 3-4 hours only.

Any ideas of what is wrong in the latest version of AE ??

Uli

• 9. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                          Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi

With AE CC it is still a nightmare to use detailed preserving upscale because to the endless rendering times.

It might also be a problem of the Memory&Multiprocessing settings...

Anybody out there who has some experience with it??

Regards,

Uli

• 10. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                            Uli Grimm Level 1

I am talking about AE CC 2014...

• 11. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Detail-Preserving Upscale effect is simply a very render-intensive effect. It's doing a lot of complex calculations to upscale things without losing detail. It will never be fast. If you need faster upscaling, you can just using the Best/Bicubic scaling option for standard scale operations; it's not as good, but it's much faster.

• 12. Re: AE CC very slow rendering
                                Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi Todd

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that this is intensive process but I also have much slower rendering with standard scaling and down-scaling in general.

I often use the "distort-transform"-down-scaling and here I can see this enormous difference as well.

And I want to mention again that it only started getting bad when I updated AE CC 12.2.1.5. Before rendering was much faster, even using scaling.

The difference now is not just one or two hours. It takes more than 50 hours for a 100 min film.

I still think that there must be something different from AE CC 12.2.1.5 on...

Regards,

Uli