6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 3:43 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory

Jim_Palik Level 1

I am running Windows 7 64bit on an ASUS P9X79 mother board with an Intel i7-3820 processor. Currently I have 16GB memory.

I am a commercial photographer shooting 21 megapixel RAW images. I processses my images in a combination of Lightroom 5x and Photoshop CC. I frequently come close to maxing out my memory. When exporting an image to photoshop that has a lot of Lightroom processing I will see four of the eight threads maxed out.

I have been told that if I turn off Windows paging that the system will run faster. However, I have also been told that if I do this without increasing my memory that I run the risk of frieezing the system if I max out my memory.

The question is, how much memory with the combination of Lightroom and photoshop acutally use?

If I turn of paging, will the system actually use 64GB of memory or will 32GB be enough?

I am also posting this question in the Lightroom forum.

I look forward to your answer?

Jim

• 1. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have that CPU / mobo combination on my work machine, with 32 GB installed.

When you export from Lightroom you should in fact see all eight virtual cores more or less maxed out, like this:

Lr5_taskman2.jpg

But you will also notice that memory usage isn't all that high, only about 7,5 GB. This is from a large export of around a hundred 36MP D800 files, around midway in, so that's about as much memory as it will ever use. It's mostly a CPU-intensive process.

Photoshop alone, however, will gobble up all the memory you can throw at it. The more the better.

But I would strongly advise against disabling the pagefile. That will get you into trouble, and it shouldn't be necessary. Photoshop will use its own pagefile (scratch file in PS terminology) to handle the overhead.

Do you experience any particular slowness? Lightroom has had its own set of performance problems since v 4.0. It's gotten a lot better lately, but there are still some people affected. If so, you might be better off posting in the Lightroom forum.

• 2. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
            Jim_Palik Level 1

My slowdown problems occur when I do intense editing. In these cases I enlarge my image to 500%

Will Photoshop actually use 64GB of memory if it is available?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

• 3. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

3930K with 32Gb and GTX570.  This was running the Lensblur filter, but I don't remember what the image size was.  Probably 1000 pixels square.  I maxed out the CPU a few days ago runnng Eye Candy 7 fur on a 10k pixel square document, but I don't know if ALien Skin make use of the GPU.  I never ever max out the RAM with Photoshop.

Lens Blur.jpg

• 4. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

James Palik wrote:

Will Photoshop actually use 64GB of memory if it is available?

Photoshop will use whatever is there - 32, 64, 128, 256....

But quite honestly I don't think that's your problem. I have one machine with 32 and one with 16, and I can't say I notice any difference between them. They're both snappy in Photoshop even with 20000 x 8000 pixel panos.

The slowest link in the chain is still Lightroom - that doesn't mean uncomfortably slow, just noticeable. But it's not for lack of memory - it's all CPU limited.

• 5. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Jim the way I see it you have windows managing ram for all concurrent running applications.  OS have been doing that since sometime around 1962 there has been a lot of research and development over the year  tuning system paging for good performance.   Application run in virtual address spaces that can be larger in size then actual real memory. That would be a problem if you turn off paging. Even if you do not run applications that use an address space larger then real memory. If you turn off paging. If you running several applications in large address spaces their combined memory usage may exceed real memory.   In my mind its not a good idea to turn off system paging.   System paging has been fine tuned over the years. Modern OS do a good paging.

Now Photoshop is a resource hungry application and also manages the resources it allocates from the system. So even if you turn off system paging Photoshop will be doing its own page scratching to disk.  I find that though I set Photoshop Preference Performance  to allow Photoshop to allocate over 32GB of memory Photoshop does its own thing.   Photoshop starts out allocating  around 4GB of memory and if I do a lot of image processing and have many open documents it will increase its address space to perform betters,  Any memory Photoshop allocates it manages and will not give any back to the system till Photoshop is close down. IMO Photoshop perhaps should allocate more memory and not do as much page scratching as it does.  I have rarely seen Photoshop allocate an address space over 10GB but I have seen it use more the 120GB of scratch space.  So most of the time when I'm only running Photoshop 30GB of more of my machine ram goes unused.

Photoshop makes little use of video cards GPU  other Adobe applications like Premier Pro and After effects make good used of GPU.

Processor cores is an  other story. Photoshop multi threads many things and some processes can max put all your processors.  Still some processes can not take advantage of multiple processors and multiple cores. Some process are a sequence of steps the must be done in order for the output of the previous step in the input for the next step.   So my dual six core xeons processors greatly reduce some processes execution time however my xeons clock speed is only 2GHZ single threaded processes are slower on my workstation then on a PC the has a single high speed processor.

In any case if you turn off system paging Photoshop will still be doing is own scratching to manage its memory.  I do not think that Photoshop memory management is better then system memory management. its done to avoide constantly using system API the cause system overhead. Avoiding that requires Photoshop to manage the resources it allocated from the system which increases Photoshop's overhead. When memory is not constrained and the system has 30GB of RAM free I feel Photoshop should use more memory.  For OS have been fine tuned to manage users address spaces.

Noel will tell you put your investment into very  large SSD Raid 0.   Make system paging and Photoshop scratching as fast as possible.

• 6. Re: Will Photoshop use 64GB of memory
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

JJMack wrote:

Noel will tell you put your investment into very  large SSD Raid 0.   Make system paging and Photoshop scratching as fast as possible.

Noel emailed me the results of Winsat Formal last night, and I can tell you that his OTT raid0 array really flies.  MY pair of Samsung 256Gb Pros are just below 1Gb/s, but his is >1.7Gb/s.  That's serious throughput.  It's all roudabouts and swings though.  My memory, and video memory, are faster, but Noel's twin CPUs are quicker.