1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 9:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements capturing video in one piece instead of clips

TD1459

I am saving all of my old SVHS tapes to the computer using an ADVC-55 capture card via fire wire and Premiere Elements 12

When the video has captured the entire tape and I go to view, I have noticed that It would save the captured video in clips and other times the full video with no clips.

I have clicked on the radio button to save the captured video as clips.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what Premiere elements does when it captures the clip.

I know it saves the whole tape as and .avi file - the file size is about 9.5GB

it does seem a bit hit and miss and I am quite new to the program.

Can anyone explain where I am going wrong.

many thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements capturing video in one piece instead of clips
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TD1459

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What are your Capture settings?

Generalizing....miniDV camcorder....

If you are doing DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12 Windows Capture Window, you have the option to capture

a. the whole as DV AVI standard or widescreen, depending on how recorded

or

b. Split Scenes...under Split Scenes, you have the option of by Timecode or by Content. Then you end up with DV AVI standard or DV AVI widescreen clips.

If you are doing HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12 Windows Capture Window, your options

a. the whole as MPEG2.mpeg

or

b. Split Scenes...under Split Scenes, ONLY by Content, not by Timecode. Then you end up with MPEG2.mpeg clips as many MPEG2.mpeg clips as can be detected on a Content basis.

If I recall, VHS does not have Timecode, so the Split Scenes by Timecode would not be an option and you would be dealing with DV data capture firewire with the DV AVI standard output. What does your Capture Window set show for Split Clips, Content? If so, it might be that the program is not able to analyze and detect scenes in some while it can in others.

More later.

ATR