1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 12:53 AM by Mylenium

What's the correct workflow for high FPS footage motion blur?

movementmonster

Situation is the following:

I have a few 600fps recordings I want to put together with heavy editing.

Things I want to do (not in order):

Change the velocity heavily up and down, from 300% to 10% and back withing seconds.

Basic VFX, heightmap, masking, light flashes and so on.

3D tracking and effects, particles and text in 3D space

Color Correction

Good motion blur

Overlays

Now, my question is at which point I apply the motion blur. I'd like to start in Sony Vegas for the velocity and then move to After Effects.

But Sony Vegas is capable to export at max 120fps. Will the motion blur result be worse/different with minro FPS footage?

In Sony Vegas for example, the resample feature is pretty useless/bad unless you go over 120fps.

But obviously I can't start by importing my footage into AE and firstly add motion blur. By my understanding I have to do all FX and color correction before adding motion blur, and until then the footage has to stay 600fps. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: What's the correct workflow for high FPS footage motion blur?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

and until then the footage has to stay 600fps. Is this correct?

No. Motion blur is calculated from frame to frame at the actual playback speed. Anything else would look fake, anyway, though of course you may already ned to/ want to add some motion blur to some elements halfway through just to from the precision of higher framerates. Smoother curves and all that. So ultimately in which order you do it is till a matter of what gives you the best result, not so much a fixed "correct" order.

Mylenium