6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 12:42 AM by JAL3

Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5

JAL3 Level 1

I am running CS5.5

On the rare occasions in that past when I have needed musical notation, it was generated in another program and then scanned and placed as a graphic file in Pagemaker. Is there a better way to do this in ID?

• 1. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What formats is the other program capable of outputting?

• 2. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
            JAL3 Level 1

Thank you for the reply.

The native formats of the application I have now are ".mscz" and ".mscx". The program also generates ".mid", ".pdf" ".ps" and a wide variety of graphic formats such png, gif, jpg and bmp.

I can use any of the graphic formats like any other graphic but I have to know exactly how the page is going to look and then generate a new score if anything changes. I was hoping, without knowing, that there would be a way of "flowing" the staves dynamically so that the score acts much like a text box.

The notation program I have now is called MuseScore. I am not overly familiar with it but the applications I used to use seem no longer to be available.

I litterally have not done anything like this for years and even then the involvement of musical notation was infrequent. I don't know what is considered "normal" practice these days. To tell the truth, I don't know what was considered "normal" a decade ago. I just kludged together what I needed as best I could.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
              Migintosh Level 4

I worked for a music publisher for around 9 years, and we used mostly used Finale, but also Sibelius, Encore, Score and TablEdit (the last 3 only infrequently). Each of these worked the same in regard to page layout apps like InDesign and QuarkXPress. All of them could output one or more graphic formats that could be placed into a page layout app as a static graphic. They couldn't be flowed dynamically the way you describe. If you needed 4 measures in the second system, you had to set that in the music notation program, export again as a grapic and update the link in ID/Quark, the way you describe your program works. You might run across someone on this forum who also works in music notation, but there probably are fewer of them than would be helpful. You could ask at the forums of other music notation programs, but I doubt the companies would want their users to recommend other programs. That said, I'm not sure such a program exists, so it's probably no foul to try.

If you stick with a static graphic format, I'd recommend PDF, but if you are going to be sending to a print provider, I'd send them a test file in advance of your print date so they can identify any problems they may have to deal with, so they can know what steps to take. Some programs PDFs aren't as good as others.

• 4. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
                JAL3 Level 1

I very much appreciate the input. I rather suspected that I would have to generate static graphics but I did not know. It will certainly be easier now than it used to be. I just let the notation ap generate the graphic. My old process to to print out the score and then scan it to get an image I could work with.

Since this will be a rarity for me, I stick with the freeware I'm using. I have learned 3 other music notation programs. Each was a leader in its day. It seems that as soon as I approached proficiency, the company would fold or get sold out.  I'm not inclined or able to make a major monetary commitment right now.

Thank you again for your advice.

• 5. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
                  Migintosh Level 4

I haven't had to do any engraving for 2 or 3 years, so I'm not sure who's still around, but I agree that if the music reads the way you need, I'd stick with what works.

• 6. Re: Placing Musical Notation in CS5.5
                    JAL3 Level 1

For what its worth, I'm not a "professional" typesetter or anything like that.

I am a Methodist pastor whose hobby is building rockets. (I used to be an engineer).

I prepare liturgical documents for the church. Sometimes these are just for my personal use and sometimes they are for wider distribution within the church.

I also prepare "how-to" docs related to rocketry.

For years, Pagemaker worked fine for me. When my last XP based machine died, I finally upgraded all of my Adobe aps with the ultimate suite. I'm finding the learning curve to be steep for some and quite easy for others.

As a sideline, I produce amateur video for both as a hobby.

Thanks again for the info. I do appreciate it.