9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 7:18 AM by A.T. Romano

How to burn a DVD

hotshotphotoguy

I am trying to burn images from an album in Premier Elements 12. When I took DVD to couple of retail photo Kiosks their machines said DVD was blank. Returned one and put it into a different PC than the one I burned from and the pictures came right up. How do I correct this.

• 1. Re: How to burn a DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hotshotphotoguy

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

The basic question which I am not clear on "What are you doing?"

a. have you burned Elements Organizer Album with photos to a DVD disc as data disc and took them to a retail photo Kiosks for some special work with the photos?

or

b. did you use Premiere Elements 12 to burn to DVD an Album of photos from Elements Organizer 12, and the DVD would not playback at a retail photo Kisoks

c. something else

If "b" is the case, then

1. What did you produce with Premiere Elements 12 on this computer that needs to be described -

a. DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc?

or

b. AVCHD format on DVD disc?

2. AVCHD format on DVD disc needs a blu-ray player? What type of "machine" did this retail Klosks have?

3. If you put your DVD disc into the computer (where Premiere Elements 12 is installed) and explore the disc content, what do you find

a. OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder

or

b. BDMV Folder

or

c. just a bunch of jpeg files

Let us get these basics established and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to burn a DVD
            hotshotphotoguy Level 1

Thank you for rely. The computer is a new Toshiba Laptop, Satellite P75-A7200, Windows 8.1

B is the answer to your question. The machines were in a drug store chain (new) and a large grocery & merchandise store.

Files currently on the disk open DVD and Video_TS

If I click on "Open Dvd" a new screen appears that says 3 files on disk. One says "click on me" 2nd is "opendvd.pm" 3rd reads Untitled.dvd

Should I just start over or use a flash drive?

Thank you for your help!

• 3. Re: How to burn a DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

hotspotphotoguy

If you have a VIDEO_TS Folder on that DVD disc, then you have the potential for gathering its video files for use in a new project in Premiere Elements 12.

Forget about the OpenDVD Folder. Focus on the VIDEO_TS Folder.

You want to get the video files from that folder. And, the video files are found in files starting with names

VTS_01_1.VOB

and, if the DVD-VIDEO on the DVD disc is long enough, you might have a series stemming from that, such as,

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

Confirm what you have by noting the large file size for these as compared to whatever else you see.

In some cases, the video files might be found starting in a series

VTS_02_1.VOB

VTS_02_2.VOB

VTS_02_3.VOB

and so on.

What do you see on your DVD when it is in the burner tray and you explore the DVD VIDEO_TS Folder contents?

Your workflow would include

a. DVD disc in burner tray...

b. Setting the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace project preset manually

c. Using Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer

Please check out what you have on the DVD in more detail, do a mini test run with the suggested workflow, and then we can fine tune the details from the Video Importer  as well as detail how to set the project preset manually if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I do not feel that VOBs need to be converted into another format to get the Premiere Elements job done.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to burn a DVD
                hotshotphotoguy Level 1

Because of time constraint I had to start over. So this time I started with clean disc, selected album from the organizer, from file I then selected export/ copy to removeable disc, I was then told to move contents into folder. long story short disc was burned, finalized and verified. At later time I will try method you described but have run out of time. Your advice was more than helpful and appreciate it.

Thank you

Jim

• 5. Re: How to burn a DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up. But, I just want to make sure that you have the end product that you need and want.

What you have described sounds like it burned jpeg in the album to a DVD disc as a data disc - jpeg photos as jpeg photos.

That will not play back on a DVD player unless your player says that it supports JPEG-DVD. Besides the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, several DVD players will playback JPEG CD, photos burned to a CD disc, data disc situation. I have not run into players that support JPEG-DVD. Maybe your player does.

If your only interest is in playback on the computer, you should fare better with the computer player which comes with an option to display the photos as a slideshow.

Please let me know that you are OK with the details and will the product that you have created.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to burn a DVD
                    hotshotphotoguy Level 1

Well I think I'm guilty of using a bad description. When I first posed question I used the term album but meant that to be an album of photo images (family birthday party) that I could burn to a disc and pass it on. So yes they are Jpeg photos as jpeg photos. Maybe not what premiere is meant to do but I have been under the assumption thatI needed Premier in order to share images this way.

Thanks for follow up!

Jim

• 7. Re: How to burn a DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up with more details.

In this case, from the Adobe Elements view point, you really do not need Premiere Elements 12 in particular. You need Elements Organizer 12.

Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 are standalone programs, each coming with an Elements Organizer 12. (When both programs are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer 12 catalog.)

So, from what you described, if you had Photoshop Elements 12 with its Elements Organizer 12, you would not need Premiere Elements 12. Put another way, if you had Premiere Elements 12 and its Elements Organizer 12, you would not need Photoshop Elements 12 for this activity (unless you wanted to edit photos).

All you need is Elements Organizer 12, your photos in the Elements Organizer 12, File Menu/"Copy/Move To Removable Drive" and a DVD disc in your DVD burner tray.

Just wanted to be sure you were OK.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to burn a DVD
                        hotshotphotoguy Level 1

Excellent description. That should be put in their marketing material for a better understanding of product useage!

• 9. Re: How to burn a DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

hotshotphotoguy

Thanks for the reply.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR