20 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 8:31 AM by howardw88130026

White preview screen

Lynn Hall

When I place a clip in the timeline and the scrub across it, the preview screen goes white.  How can it fix this?

• 1. Re: White preview screen
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Lynn Hall,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums.

Please provide following information :

What is the OS and version ?

What is the Graphics Card installed on the system ?

How much Ram do you have ?

Do you use any external Hard Drive ?

Are you using security software e.g. Norton, etc

Regards,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: White preview screen
            Lynn Hall Level 1

Dell desktop with windows 7,, 64 bit,  with GeForce FT 640/PCIe?SSE2  graphics card.  no external hard drive.  This is a brand new computer with lots of memory, purchased strictly for video editing. 

• 3. Re: White preview screen
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Responded in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1450383?tstart=0 (I have ask for that thread to be locked) with the information below

I am using a Dell desk top with Windows 7, 64 bit,  with GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2  video card. New computer.  Suddenly when I put clips on timeline and play scrubber across the clip, the image in the preview screen disappears and all I have is a white screen. If I hit the preview screen the picture comes back but the scrubb stops. Can't see what I'm trying to edit.  I have no external hard drive.

IF you are using Premiere Elements 10, read the next links

nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

-Old Drivers http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Otherwise, LOTS more information to provide

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page to learn the program?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 4. Re: White preview screen
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on this new Windows 7 64 bit computer? And what NVIDIA GeForce card are you working with....FT 640 as you wrote or GT 640 as John interpreted it and wrote? I suspect it is GT 640. Please clarify.

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce user, the first troubleshooting step is to roll back the driver version as far back as necessary to get Premiere Elements 10 to work for you. Typically that point will be around May 2013. The Announcement at the top of the forum will give you all the details on that, for your convenience, the following is a copy/paste of that Announcement.

Announcement: Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back can be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.ht ml

The links in the Announcement give you all the information that you will need to correct the situation. But, do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

But, in spite of the above, I would ask "Is this a it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" type of issue? If this worked before, how long ago did it work before?

If this is a it worked before but not now issue, before were you using the same Premiere Elements version but a different computer that did not use a NVIDIA GeForce video card?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: White preview screen
                  Lynn Hall Level 1

It is premier elements 11.  Yes. GT 640

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: White preview screen
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Great news. The Premiere Elements NVIDIA GeForce issue has been specific for Premiere Elements 10 users. So, as far as your NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 is concerned, then we should go the usual "assure that the driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card rather than start rolling back the driver version.

1. Is this issue confined to one particular video file/format? If so, what is the video file/format?

2. When you refer to the Preview Screen going white at playback of this video, are you referring to the Edit area monitor or the Preview Windows with the Set In and Set Out points that appears when you double click the file in Project Assets or double click the file on the Timeline? Does the screen go white whether you are viewing the video in the Edit area monitor as well as the Preview Window?

3. I was not sure of your answer on one point - did this all work before but not now or did this never work before at least with this video source? If you import a jpeg photo and play back that in the Edit area monitor or in the Premiere Window, does the screen go white?

4. If you import this video into the Elements Organizer and play back the video there, does the playback screen go white on you there?

Let us start with the above series of questions and determine if they will point us to the core of the issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: White preview screen
                      Lynn Hall Level 1

I am using Premier Elements 11.  Would that still need the roll back?

My camera is a Canon XF 100 and it records to a flash card.  I have to change the clips to MXF files, then use Aiseesoft ware to turn them into MPEG 4s.  Then I can get them into Premier Elements so that I can work with them.  I never had a problem when I was using my laptop to edit with this software, but once I started using the new computer, suddenly I can’t get the preview screen to work.

• 8. Re: White preview screen
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Based on all the information accumulated to date, the NVIDIA Ge Force video card roll back is specific for Premiere Elements 10 users whose computers use NVIDIA GeForce. So, based on that, I am thinking for you to go with the usual suggestion to assure that you computer has the latest version of the video card driver. See NVIDIA web site for latest version of the card's driver.

Right now, I am focusing on the properties of your video recorded by the Canon XF100 and what happens to it on its way to import into Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit.

From what I have read, the clips coming from the Canon XF 100 are in the MXF format which is not supported by Premiere Elements (any version). You say that you are using the Aiseesoft software to convert the MXF into MPEG4s.

Have you looked at the conversion of MXF to MPEG2 output format (the one indicated for Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas).

If so, what are the results...same white video? Have you looked at an alternative MXF converter

http://www.freemxfconverter.com/

ATR

• 9. Re: White preview screen
                          Lynn Hall Level 1

When I take the clips off the camera I’m reading off the CF card and opening with Canon Utility (software that came with the camera.  Under edit it has a function to convert to an MXF file.  After much aggravation and work – finding I could do nothing with the files until I then used something else to convert them to MPEG 4s – I found the Aiseesoft ware.    When I finished editing the project in Premier, I publish as a quicktime file (also the result of much trial and error and a conversation with someone at Adobe) and then I have to take that file and use Factory Format to again make it an MPEG 4 so that it will play on our Avalon Magic Box software used by our Cable access channel.  I can try downloading the new software.

If I were using Premier Pro and the Canon XF100, would I have to do through all these conversions?

• 10. Re: White preview screen
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Lynn Hall,

If I were using Premier Pro and the Canon XF100, would I have to do through all these conversions?

PrPro can handle MXF files natively, so one should have no issues, and no need for conversion.

As MXF is a format in professional domaine, PrE is just not set up to support it - at least not yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: White preview screen
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit MXL Imports. If you are converting the MXF to H.264.mp4 or H.264.mov, you should be able to import those two formats into a Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit project. Assuming no atypical settings in the converter, I am thinking that your preview issue has nothing to do with the footage with MXF origin. So, I ask "If you take a video with a different format from a camera (AVCHD.mp4) (no conversions involved) and import that into your Premiere Elements 11 setup, do you get those white previews?

About you last question...

I am not Premiere Pro based as is Hunt, so I answer on from what I have read. And, I read the "one should have no issues, and no need for conversion" guardedly.

Please check out some of the Premiere Pro Forum threads on the matter

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6080963

http://lauralily10.tumblr.com/post/60231553939/two-ways-to-import-canon-xf100-mxf-to-premi ere-pro

Please review and consider.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 12. Re: White preview screen
                                Lynn Hall Level 1

I will have to check on the new computer. I haven’t tried to load anything from an older camera.  I will try that tomorrow.

• 13. Re: White preview screen
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Thanks for the update.

We will look forward to your results when you get a chance.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: White preview screen
                                    Lynn Hall Level 1

I tried putting just photos on the timeline-- preview screen still goes white.  Tried once more to download latest NVIDIA driver. After that stll got same error message when I opened Premier Elements.  If I downloaded 12 do you think that will resolve issue?

Sent from my iPhone

• 15. Re: White preview screen
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Thanks for the reply. The good news part of it is that the MXF files are not factored into this. That takes a lot from the troubleshooting agenda.

When you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ do you see only the NVIDIA video card listed or do you have another as well?

For troubleshooting purposes, it would be a good idea to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe. Premiere Elements 11 and12 are very similar so I am not expecting a difference in performance, but worth the try.

But before you do that have you gone through the drill

a. Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. If that does not work, delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

The video card would seem the prime suspect, but....You could try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. A new one will be generated once you open a project.

Again, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, Drives active.

If that does not resolve the problem, then deactivate the program from within the project (Help Menu/Deactivate), followed by usual Control Panel Uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall (Premiere Elements 11) with antivirus and firewalls turned off.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Lots of ways to go. Please review and consider.

Looking forward to your results and hoping for a breakthrough to success.

ATR

• 16. Re: White preview screen
                                        Lynn Hall Level 1

You are my hero.  We just went through the steps below and now I can see my preview screen.  Thanks so much for all the help.

• 17. Re: White preview screen
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Great, great news.

Which procedure do you think resolved the issue....the deletion of the settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file) or the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file?

Whichever one, we are very pleased that you can move on with your Premiere Elements projects.

If it was the BadDrivers.txt file, that would be interesting and not the first time that the procedure was a life saver for the Premiere Elements (many versions) user with up to date video card driver and no way to go with the display issue. That BadDrivers.txt file was first highlighted in the days of Premiere Elements 9, and it reason for being is described in post 10 of the following thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

The settings file deletion is based on the idea of a probably corrupt settings file. It is a troubleshooting tool for those issues that deny the usual troubleshooting schemes.

Best wishes

ATR

• 18. Re: White preview screen
                                            Lynn Hall Level 1

We did both so not sure. Thanks again! Great to have one issue resolved. Now on to the next.

Sent from my iPhone

• 19. Re: White preview screen
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynn Hall

Thanks.

I am thinking only positive thoughts for your projects.

ATR

• 20. Re: White preview screen
                                                howardw88130026

Worked for me too after deleting prefs file. Very pleased after long hard search thru Adobe forum. Thanks Howard