3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 5:04 PM by BobLevine

Using old version of InDesign for upgrade

heydavemaine

Hi. I have an old, never-opened retail copy of InDesign 2.0 that I bought with a new Mac some years ago. The white tape seal on the top of the jewel case is still unbroken.  I'm semi-retired and don't do any layout or graphics work, but I have one project that was created for me years ago using Indesign that I would like to be able to update myself.  I would like to be able to upgrade to a later version of InDesign, but not to the current one--probably to version 3 or 4. One reason is I think the file I will be using is in 3; the other reason is I am still running OS 10.6.8 on my Mac. Can I install this software now on my Mac?  Will its serial number work to authorize an upgrade version on installation?  What can I do?  Many thanks

• 1. Re: Using old version of InDesign for upgrade
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is very little chance that version of InDesign will install on an Intel Mac but with 10.6.8 it’s not completely out of the question.

You cannot use it for an upgrade and there’s practically zero chance of finding a legit copy of anything but CS6 at this point.

• 2. Re: Using old version of InDesign for upgrade
            heydavemaine Level 1

Thank you, Bob.  Just finished a verrryyy lengthy chat with a nice Adobe rep, who gave me some slightly different info, and, sadly, about the same conclusion. 

I was told I can't install the ID 2.0 on anything past a G5.

I might qualify for an upgrade to CS4 (ID 6.0) but I'd need help from Adobe for the authorization. However, that supposedly runs on OS 10.4.11–10.5.4 only.

He said I can't use CS 6 because it requires OS 10.7 and up.  So I could take a chance on CS 4 and if that didn't work, give up and swear off Adobe.  (I was raised on Quark)  Or look for a later full version of Indesign -- if that was ever even offered.

As far as finding old software, I'm sitting with an unopened retail copy that's 7 years old.  If it were still usefiul, I believe it would be legal to re-sell.

I've had success buying authentic old stock software more than once.  I ask for pictures of holograms, etc.  (I'm still using Appleworks and until I couldn't run system 9, i wouldn't give up Claris Emailer).

Thanks very much for the advice!

• 3. Re: Using old version of InDesign for upgrade
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS6 runs on 10.6 and as I said, you will be harddpressed to buy any earlier

version through a legitimate channel.