7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 5:21 PM by A.T. Romano

I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?

DrDtMM

I only use PE10 twice a year, so every time I come back to it, it's like starting over. Right now I need to do something so simple that it should be obvious, but I don't see it. I have deleted part of the front end of an audio clip and now want to slide the clip to the timeline cursor. What could be simpler? Help, please!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is that Audio Clip "linked" to video, or is it separate?

Which Audio Track is it on?

If separate already, are you not able to just click and drag it, as necessary?

If linked, you can Alt-click on it, to unlink it, then click and drag. One could also go to Clip and unlink the Audio & Video Streams permanently.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

DrDtMM

Any chance you could post a screenshot of what you have facing you on the Premiere Elements 10 Timeline view or Sceneline view? Can we assume that you are working in the Timeline view?

If you are having problems moving the audio to the left to the location of the Timeline Indicator, it very well may be because you have separated linked video audio holding down the Alt key as you clicked and dragged on the audio away from the video.

If any separating of video and audio linkage, I would suggest right clicking the clip and selecting Unlink Audio and Video from the pop up menu. Then click and drag the audio to the left with the mouse cursor. After you have the audio in place and in sync, then you can Shift click audio and video to get them selected at the same time, right click anywhere in the selection, and then select Group, not Link Audio and Video, from the pop up menu that you got after the right click.

Another matter that you may run into soon, if you have not already.

In one of your older posts, you indicated that you have running Premiere Elements 10 on Windows XP SP3 32 bit with a NVIDIA GeForce GT610 video card. Is that still the case? If so and if any unusual program display issues, you need to read the Annoucement at the top of this forum about major display problem targeting the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce user. The user to user fix is to roll back the video card driver version (probably to about May 2013). Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has offered any remedies for this. All this is described in much detail in the Announcement at the top of the forum.

Please review and consider.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
              DrDtMM Level 1

The audio and video have been unlinked before trying to do this. The alignment must be precise, because the video is of a wind ensemble and its conductor, which must be synhronized within a frame or two of the sound in order not to appear hideous. We do four-camera shoots, switched in real time. I only do post-production titling and creation of YouTube videos from our concert videos. If one can insert a clip to the timeline cursor, it ought to be easy to reposition an existing clip the cursor.

Re the NVIDIA problem raised by A. T. Romano, my drivers are likely to be much older than a year.

• 4. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

DrDtMM,

Thank you for that information.

While I normally turn Snap OFF (toggles with the S key), with doing critical sync work, if you have the CTI (Current Time Indicator) exactly where you want the very beginning of the Audio Clip, and Snap is ON, that Audio Clip's Head should "snap" right to the CTI, when you drag it close.

Now, with the Audio unlinked from any Video, you should also be able to nudge the Audio Clip by Selecting it, and holding down the Alt key, while hitting the arrow keys. For this, I would toggle Snap OFF.

If this is not working for you, then I definitely agree with ATR that a screen-cap of the Timeline might prove very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DrDtMM

Thanks for the follow up information and comments.

Are you aware of the "nudge" technique for trying to get the audio aligned in sync with video?

Select the audio.

As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key one tap at a time; one tap =  1 frame nudge. And, as you hold down the Shift+Alt keys, tap the right or left arrow key one tap at a time; then one tap = 5 frames nudge.

You could also explore to determine if it is to your advantage to go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and change Audio/Display Format to Milliseconds.

Important. If you are not doing so already, do all this with the Timeline expanded max with the -+ slider above the Timeline in order to have max visibility of what you are doing. If it is to your advantage, you can change the timecode readout to frames by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on the timecode. (That works the same to get back to timecode from frames.)

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
                    DrDtMM Level 1

Nudging did not appear to be quite so deterministic as you described (sometimes the arrow key moved the frame; not always), but I was able to align the video with the audio with a little trial and error.

Thank you very much.

• 7. Re: I use PE10 infrequently...How to slide an audio clip to cursor?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

DrDtMM

Thanks for the follow up with news of your success in aligning the audio and video with a little trial and error. Good job.

The "nudging technique" has worked for me in several versions of Premiere Elements on different computer operating systems. Sorry it did not work as well for you.

But, the important matter is that you have accomplished what you sought to do.

Best wishes

ATR