8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 8:43 AM by BillyDBrown

How to change settings after completing a title?

BillyDBrown

I just created a clip of rolling credits.

I started by clicking "New" beneath the file menu.

Then selected the "title" option.

I forgot to check settings.

Now, when I try to publish, I note that the settings are not what I want.

I'd like a higher resolution; 1280 x 720, 30fps and an AVI file format if I can get it.

Current settings are 720 x 480, 30fps and no AVI format available for publishing.

Can you tell me the easiest way to get from where I'm at to where I'd like to be?

Admittedly, it was careless of me to overlook settings at the beginning but the option to open a title file as opposed to a project file gave me the impression that titles are handled differently and threw me off.

My intent is to tack this title onto a video which I completed in a screencasting program and editor at my desired specs (720px). Assuming I can't change settings, rather than redo everything (which I'm hoping I don't have to do), do you think it would be obvious if I imported a 480px .mpg file into another 720px project and then published again at 720px from there? Doesn't sound promising, does it?

Thanks for your advice.

BillB

• 1. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BillB

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on?

I want to make sure that we are in sync on the details so please excuse

1. Are you saying that you did not set up correctly the project preset of one of your Premiere Elements projects? If so, what specifically was it set to? If you do not know, please let us know the readout out under that project's Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they appear to be grayed out).

2. What are the properties of your source media? Your project preset should match the properties of the source media. Are you saying that you do not have source media other than this title that you want to create with 720p sizing (1280 x 720)? We need to get beyond the 720px to 720p30 or whatever the frame rate is.

Here is the situation. The party line is that you cannot change project settings once they have been established. However, I have written about a way to do just that in certain circumstances. In order for me to decide can do or cannot do, I need details on the From and To.

We will be watching for your follow up with all the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
            BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me ATR!,

I must be going batty. Stepping away and coming back to it and spurred on by your questions, I see that, in fact, my settings were sufficient to publish at the resolution that I need. Don't know why I didn't see that earlier but I guess I was a bit frazzled and somewhat anxious for that matter.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I think the lesson is to fix the appropriate settings when creating a new file whether it's a project or just a title without source material. Would you agree? If so, I guess I just lucked out this time.

Thanks

BillB

• 3. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

The key to all this is, when you create a title in the Titler, it takes on the frame size of the project preset.

So, if your project preset is 720p30, then a title created in the project would have the pixel dimensions of 1280 x 720 pixels.

And, the export will end up with the properties set in the Export Setting area. Where did you go right or wrong on this one?

The whole danger in this can be black borders and other unwanted conseqences.

In the case of the title, you really do not have to put it through a Publish+Share/ route.

If the title is going into a 720p30 project, highlight the title in Project Assets in the first project, go to File Menu/Export/Title and save the title. That saved title can be imported in another new Premiere Elements project. This is not a case comparable to not being able to import an project.prel into another project.prel.

Are we OK on the details. If not, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
                BillyDBrown Level 1

Hi AT,

Basically, I'm good. I have the output I need. Just trying to shine some light on the shadows.

It makes sense that the title would take on the settings of the project. So, that must be set up properly first.

Good to know that one could export the title instead of publishing, however, upon referencing this, I see that my export command is greyed out. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I also wanted to see what file format it exported to and whether that could be used in other programs as well as other PrE projects.

Bill B

• 5. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill B

The essential is to select the title in Expert workspace Project Assets and then go to File Menu/Export/Title. The latter should not be grayed out if you do that.

When you use File Menu/Export/Title, the title is saved as a .prtl file which can be used in other Premiere Elements projects.

As for use of the saved .prtl titles in non Premiere Elements projects, never looked into that.

I am almost sure that it can be imported into Premiere Pro. But beyond that ?

ATR

• 6. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
                    BillyDBrown Level 1

AT,

I see. I was unaware that the styles became assets. Export works now. This will become useful to me very soon.

Ya know, I tried using Adobe's online docs as well as the guided wizard on titles and PrE classroom in a book but I couldn't find anything that went into much detail. Is there a reference source that you recommend?

thanks

Bill

• 7. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

The forums shine in that they can supply that key detail that you are missing or a detail that you might want to explore.

I am an "answers are in the details" type Premiere Elements user and have used the tools of exploration and experimentation of the program to make my gains into what is behind the "stock answers".

Have you checked out the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF.

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en_US/premiereelements/7/premiereelements_7.0_help.pdf

The information that I have given you can be found in Chapter 12: Creating Titles. Please review the document. It may be what you seek as your reference source for Premiere Elements 7. The File Menu/Export/Title can be found on page 229 (if you look at the header page indicator) or page 224 (if you look at the number on the page that you view in the document).

If you are not on guard already, check the Premiere Elements version which is used to demo a particular video editing procedure. Principles tend to remain the same from version to verison, but features and workspaces usually do not. It is very frustrating to be armed with principles when you cannot find a feature and how it works.

ATR

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to change settings after completing a title?
                        BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks ATR! Found the help .pdf. Very Useful! In fact I remember using it now but somehow I forgot about it.

I agree with your position on the details. Alot of things must come together to create a decent video, familiarity with the software together with the skills to use it, what we are referring to as "the details", are critical.

BillB