5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 2:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video

btvarner

Sorry, I am new to any version of Adobe Premiere Elements.  Well versed in Photoshop but not Preimere, which seems much more dificult.

I have tried to apply Video Stabilizer to an 8 minute video.  Requires Rendering before you can see the results.  Rendering took almost 2 hours.  Finished product resulted in normal audio but the video only displayed about 1 fame every 5 or ten seconds.  Seems like at this rate I will be dead before I have this mastered.  Any help would be appreciated.

I would even settle for a YouTube tutorial that shows exactly how to apply this effect.  Many out there showing the results, but none showing HOW to do it in Elements 12.  Thanks!

Thought I would add some details:

1-This is my first video

2-Have attempted to send the same video through the process several times

3-If I make only small, general adjustments to the clip it plays back fine after rendering

4-After applying Video Stabilizer and attempting to play the video in Elements, the sound plays but the video does not seem to move…After rendering, same thing.

5-I am attempting to stabilize GoPro arial video

6-Windows 7 64bit, i7 processor, 8mg Ram, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 Ti video card

Message was edited by: btvarner

• 1. Re: Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bivarner

Thank you for all the helpful information you supplied regarding your Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit project.

Regarding the Video Stabilizer, it is an effect that takes extremely greater Timeline rendering times than many of the other effects the program offers. So that part is normal. The part about your Video Stabilized video freezing probably means you overdid with the degree of stabilization. How would you rate the level of shaky camera syndrome that you are trying to correct with the Video Stabilizer effect?

If you have not seen it previously, check out the description of Video Stabilizer in the Adobe document Premiere Elements Effects Reference

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html

If the the Premiere Elements Video Stabilizer does not have enough controls to help your video, then you might consider another product for such stablization. According to one at a GoPro Users Forum Adobe Premiere Elements Stabilizer worked for this person who was not impressed by the typical alternative Mercalli Plug-In.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/what-image-stabilizer-software-for-gopro-t5948.html

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/300391667/plugins,l-us.html

Please take a look at the Stabilizer notes in the Premiere Elements Effects Reference document, re-evaluate the level of stabilization that you are applying, and the rating on how badly the video needs stabilization, and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....while searching around for Video Stabilizers from a variety of sources, I came across mention of Windows Movie Maker part of Windows Essentials 2012 and its video stabilizing effects under Edit Tools. You should see what that can do for you in comparison to Premiere Elements and alternatives.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-movie-maker-download

Please hold on the Windows Movie Maker (Windows Essentials 2012) idea. I just downloaded it to Windows 7 64 bit, and there is not Video Stabilization option anywhere to be found. I need find out if there is small print somewhere where it says Windows 8 or 8.1 only. I have seen others online looking for what was supposed to be there.

Just found the answer. From the following, it appear that Movie Maker 2012 Video Stabilization is a Windows 8 Only. I tried the Movie Maker 2012 in Windows 7 64 bit. Later in the morning I will look at this in Windows 8.1 64 bit.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/moviemaker-wlinstall/whats-new-in-mov ie-maker-2012/7d9f544d-b14f-4d3f-9582-28fc05839b6c

• 2. Re: Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video
            btvarner Level 1

Thank you very much ATR,

I will go over these suggestions tomorrow.  Have tried using the Stabilizer 2 seperate times.  First time at the default (40 Smoothing/110 Zooming).  Second time (5 Smoothing/110 Zooming).  To be precise, the finished product has normal audio but the same frame displays for several seconds before it moves to another frame, and so on.......

Another, bit of detail.  I have Photoshop CS6 which I use regularly.  It has a tool for video that I have been initially using.  I went this route (before buying PrE) because ot the great "Adaptive Wide Angle" effect that does a very good job of correcting the fisheye of the GoPro.  However, Photoshop CS6 does not have any stabilization tool.  I bring this up because I am using both pieces of software in sequence.  Initial clipping, curves adjustment layer, and Adaptive Wide Angle rendered with the CS6.  Then that mp4 file into Premiere Elements 12 for further minipulation and the Stabilizer before I again render for final output.

Did not know if possibly passing the same video through both tools might cause some issue????

Thanks,

Bruce

• 3. Re: Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

btvarner

Just starting my day and saw your thread.

My first impression is this to rule in or out any consequences of the Photoshop CS6 Premiere Elements 12 workflow.

For troubleshooting purposes, if you have not done so already, consider taking your video source (with Fisheye) into Premiere Elements and applying the video stabilization. Is the video stabilization in Premiere Elements now effective where it was not before with the Photoshop CS6 Fisheye correction first step?

We will be watching for your results when you get a chance. Some time today I am going to look at the Window Movie Maker 2012 in Windows 8 64 bit to see what that is all about.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video
                btvarner Level 1

Hi ATR,

Ok, I have progressed a lot.  FIrst to answer your questions:

• Looked over the documentation you provided.  It helped.  The Mercalli Plug-In looks good.  Will continue with the Stabilizer Pr Elements 12 for a while and see how it goes.

Looks like I did pump way too much into the Video Stabilizer:

• I can only assume that the 40% took so much rendering that it choked.  Re-tryed today and with 5% and then 10% is was slow but worked fine.

Here is what I am getting to date with an 8 minute video clip.  I have kept using the same clip from scratch so video varibles are not an issue.

• Start with GoPro .MP4 video straight out of the camera
                • Import with no conversion, into Photoshop CS6
                • Clip video to include desired details
                • Made "Adaptive Wide Angle" effect changes (These changes are very severe as the GoPro is almost 180 degree lense + lose some to crop)
                • Added Curves Adjustment Layer
                • Pumped color a tiny bit
                • Added fade in and fade out effect to start and end of video
                • Rendered in Photoshop CS6 as a .mp4 (About 2 hours for the 8 minute video)(Used only a portion of the CPU)
                • Imported this rendered clip into Premiere Elements 12
                • Added Title page
                • Added a couple of mid clip effect changes
                • Made "Video Stabilizer" effect changes (Used only a 5% change)
                • Renered in PrElements 12 as a .mp4 (About 1 hour, 16 minutes for the 8 minute video)(Used ALL the CPU-Fluxuated between 100% and about 70% the whole time)

Today this all worked with no freezing.  In PrElements 12, after I made the Stabilizer changed, the video would not play back correctly in Elements, but after rendering played fine.  The clip was hand held during the whole recording.   Mostly studied against a table with some periods when I held with no support.  At 5% Stabilization the PrElements 12 Stabilization smoothed down the the portions where I was studying against a table.  Those parts were I was totally hand holding were still shaky thought not as bad as the origional.

I re-did the whole experiment, only this time used 10% stabilization.  Was much better.  My guess is however when I start shooting in the air I will have to go further up the scale.  Maybe 15% or more???????

I downloaded MS Windows Movie Maker in 64 bit but doubt I will fool with it much until I see how PrElements 12 is going to work out for Stabilization.  Let me know how Movie Maker works for your tests......

Thanks again!

Bruce

• 5. Re: Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 12 Freezes Video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for all that follow up details. Sounding much better.

It is about 5 pm where I am, and I have yet to get to Windows 8.1 64 bit and downloading the Windows Movie Maker 2012 that is supposed to have a new feature for it, a video stabilizer. Need to confirm the Windows 8 comment about Movie Maker 2012 and the video stabilizer effect.

Hoping to get all done in the next few hours.

More later.

Thanks again for the updates.

ATR