12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 9:26 PM by imeilfx

After Effects Render time extremely long

Raj Nagar

I am trying to render an After Effects CS6 composition that is 40 seconds long and 1080p with no video footage, just particle animation and logo. However when I add the comp to the render queue and begin the render, the estimated time shows 32 Hours! At the bootom it says 47% ram jused of 7.9 GB. What is going wrong?

• 1. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you do not have ray traced rendering turned on. We need to know a lot more about composition.

• 2. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
            Raj Nagar Level 1

Sorry, the composition is a 40 second animation of particles using the trapcode plugin and 8 photoshop images of a logo fading in and some text, the comp is 16bit and 1920x1080. And could you please explain about ray tracing?

• 3. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
              imeilfx Adobe Community Professional

Short story: RayTracing is an engine that renders AE 3D layers as 3D (with tepth) but it takes a lot time to render so if you don't need it - its better to tur it off. You can check that here:

AE-raytrace.jpg

16bit, full hd, and particular/form - that can render 32h. That all depends on your machine (processor, ram) and of course complexity of your project. For example you will render default particle flying with default settings much faster than a fog/smoke rendered with particular.

Look at your project and check what you can optimize, what you can get rid of, what you can render in some different way. 

• 4. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                Raj Nagar Level 1

Thanks for that, I don't have it on ray-traced 3d because in the top corner on the left it says Renderer: Classic 3d. So i think that seems fine, but I have 8 GB ram with second gen Core i5 boosted to 3.1 Ghz so i don't think that the setup is a problem.

As for the particles, they branch out in lines like branches into a circle. But I still think that 32h is overkill. Even after using the Quicktime codec with the H.264 setting, it still says 30+ hours.

• 5. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long

Try render to jpg/png sequence or quickTime (mov) animation/photojpg format - and check what time it will show. If that doesn't help - send me PM with that project - i will try to look at it and help.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need to know the specifics of your comp and your footage. Are the Photoshop images the same size as the comp or are they much bigger. What's the setup for the Trapcode plug-in? Which Trapcode plug-in? We still don't know enough about your project to make any kind of intelligent suggestion that would reduce the render time. Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously?

We need a screenshot with all properties revealed for your layers. If the project is complex also send along a flow chart. 16 megapixel PSD files, motion blur, or a huge number of particles could slow things way down. I've done several projects where renders took 7 or 8 minutes per frame and a few that took a lot longer.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                      Raj Nagar Level 1

Thanks everyone, I have searched around and it seems that the plugins that I am using and settings require the huge amount of time to render. I am pre-rendering all the layers that I can, so I think that will help.

• 8. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long

Ok, but i think that it would be better if you would be able to say something more about that. What slowed down your work so much, what you do to optimize work etc.

That would be really helpfull for others who would have similar issues in the future.

• 9. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                          bogiesan Level 4

Raj Nagar wrote:

Thanks for that, I don't have it on ray-traced 3d because in the top corner on the left it says Renderer: Classic 3d. So i think that seems fine, but I have 8 GB ram with second gen Core i5 boosted to 3.1 Ghz so i don't think that the setup is a problem.

As for the particles, they branch out in lines like branches into a circle. But I still think that 32h is overkill. Even after using the Quicktime codec with the H.264 setting, it still says 30+ hours.

Don't render to H.264. That requires huge amounts of processing overhead on top fo the rendering.

Make a duplicate of your comp. Set the end point to about 10 seconds. Turn off 75% of the layers. Render to the simplest codc in the selection, say, ProRes422LT.

Turn off layers and turn on 25% of the other layers. Render again.

Turn on the other 25%. Render

Turn on the last 25%. Render.

Now you should have a good idea of which layers or effects are messing you up. Tell us about it and we'll probably have some helpful suggestions. 

• 10. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                            Raj Nagar Level 1

Sorry for such a late reply, but I haven't had the time because I'm working on other videos as well for an event.

Ok, so I have been at it trying out your suggestions, the minimum time I got out of all of that was still 20 hours. So something had to be done, so I pre-rendered as many layers as I could and put them in a folder on my C drive. After that I connected an external hard drive of 1TB and told AE to export the final video to the hard drive. And that worked! from 20 hours it came down to 40 mins.

So what happens is that when you try and write and read onto the same drive, it bogs the hard drive down so much that it goes at snail speed. So I learnt the hard way to never use one hard drive no matter what your computer's sepcs are.

Thanks everyone

• 11. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long
                              Raj Nagar Level 1

I also reduced the size of my photoshop files because they were unnecessarily large and that made it a bit quicker too. So reducing file sizes where possible (without having to compromise on quality) makes things quicker.

• 12. Re: After Effects Render time extremely long

And that is why Rick was asking you for specs of your project and footage. I'm glad that you've learnt a hard way- sometimes it is a best way