• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print output missing TOC by reference

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've skimmed through the forums and Peter G's site and not found quite the solution to this. I recently created a single TOC that I use by "reference" in other TOCs for custom output. The goal is to avoid having to manually update all the assorted locations.  This works beautifully for web output but I just noticed that it's not expanded for print output. I don't know whether I'm missing a step to tickle the print ssl to see it or if it's unsupported.

The print output file definitely "changed" - the whole chunk I replaced with a reference TOC is missing now.  I have a simple workaround but really would like to know if there is a way to make this work. Screenshot attached of the source TOC and the two usage locations (one for webhelp and the other for print).

😕

referenceTOC.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, the behavior is the same whether I generate PDF or Word -- this is using Single Source Layout Properties dialog.  However, when I generate a PDF for Review using the contextual menu while selecting the desired TOC (UserGd-4-InfoRes above), the details are all properly expanded but RH 10 consistently crashes during processing.  I don't want to use this workflow, so the crash is not an issue for me (although it should not happen) -- I am mentioning it because the TOCis clearly expanding.

The settings for that case are in the screenshot here:

crashes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just set up a simple three topic project with one topic in the TOC and a reference to a second TOC. The second TOC contains the other two topics.

In both Printed Output and PDF review, I am seeing all three topics correctly.

Try that and see what you get.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I revisited it again today and it seems to be resolved. I'm not sure if a week of opening and closing the project triggered something, but this time I was able to expand the full reference TOC in the content selection dialog, rather than just picking the "CDM" label. That expanded the list fully which works now. A mystery. I guess the "answer" is that if the TOC doesn't expand in the content window, there is no way the printed output will magically extract it. Thank for the reply, Peter.

weroky.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp