10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 1:29 PM by CUPW GEH

Responses are out of order

CUPW GEH

The responses we receive are out of order to the questions in the original document.  Why does this happen? There are times when the question names in the response file are not the same as the question names in the original document. Again, why?

• 1. Re: Responses are out of order
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

I am going to take a guess that your form is an Imported PDF form, and not a form created in FormsCentral.  This is a known issue with Imported PDF forms, the response table does not match the order of the fields in the PDF, the only way around this is to re-order the columns manually.  For the names used in the Response Table, you can edit those form field names in Acrobat prior to importing so they are more useful and match the form.

These FAQs might be useful:

Tutorial on Import PDF: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2654

Issues encountered with Imported PDF Forms: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2533

This one shows how to edit the form field names (to resolve a different issue, but still useful for your question on the names): http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-4191

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Responses are out of order
            CUPW GEH Level 1

Thanks Josh,

I didn't know you could import a PDF into Adobe Forms Central.  The issue I am having is with documents I have created directly in AFC. I may copy and paste text for certain questions but that is all.

The responses being out of order is causing a lot of problems because I need to export this information to a FileMaker database. I first convert it to a csv file then into FMP. A lot of work has to be done to clean it up before it can be imported into FMP.

The other issue I am having is that when I export the responses to a csv file some of the field names convert to titles like "f1"

I really appreciate your help with this.

Gail Holdner

Project Coordinator

Special Needs and Moving On Projects

Web: specialneedsproject.ca

Email: info@specialneedsproject.ca

1-800-840-5465

Fax: 902-295-2296

• 3. Re: Responses are out of order

OK.  For a FormsCentral created form you really just have to drag and drop the columns into the right order, there isn't a way to automatically re-order them.  As you do that ensure the Header of each column has the name you expect to see.  This FAQ has some information about getting header names back in sync with the fields label.

If what you get in the export doesn't match the Header names once you've looked at that let me know.

If you'd like to just share your form with me I can take a look and see if anything looks odd or if it just needs the manual attention I described.  Let me know if you'd like me to and I'll provide instructions to share.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Responses are out of order
                CUPW GEH Level 1

Thanks Josh,

The FAQ did provide some help.

I took a closer look and see that the field names are being changed between the CSV file and the File Maker Pro file.  Do you have any suggestions about that?

I have no problem with having you look at one of my forms.  If you have any suggestions for how to do it better I'd be happy to listen.

Gail

• 5. Re: Responses are out of order

So the names in the CSV file are right but then when you import that into File Maker Pro they are not?  I wouldn't be of much help there if that is the case.

You can share your form with me and I'll see if I see anything off.  Share with jcorey@adobe.com and please include a reference to this Forum post so I know what we are looking for, instructions for sharing your form: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: Responses are out of order
                    CUPW GEH Level 1

Josh,

I've shared a form with you.  I made you a " reader".  Does this give you the access you need to identify potential issues?

Gail

• 7. Re: Responses are out of order

No, I’d need to be a contributor or co-author to see enough to determine issues.

Thanks,

Josh

• 8. Re: Responses are out of order
                        CUPW GEH Level 1

OK Josh.  I've changed you to co-author.

Gail

• 9. Re: Responses are out of order

Your form looks good to me, I don't see any issues.  I would take a guess that the export to CSV and import into File Maker Pro has to do with the questions that have sub-headers, things like multiple choice fields, but I have never done that workflow myself.

Feel free to remove me from the share anytime.

Thanks,

Josh

• 10. Re: Responses are out of order
                            CUPW GEH Level 1

Thanks Josh,

Appreciate the help.

Gail

Gail Holdner

Project Coordinator

Special Needs and Moving On Projects

Web: specialneedsproject.ca

Email: info@specialneedsproject.ca