5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 10:00 AM by Mark C. Dahm

HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.

funnyface

HELP! My photos are being held in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I

cannot access them. Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Funnyface,

Welcome to the forum.

As Photoshop does not directly do anything to an Image, beyond Opening it for editing, I think that there might be some confusion with exactly which Adobe program you are referring to.

Can you give us the full name of the program, such as Adobe Photoshop Album Starter version ___, or Adobe Photoshop Elements/Elements Organizer version ___?

There WAS a version of Adobe Photoshop referred to as version 3. I do not recall how many updates it had, but it introduced Layers, way back almost two decades ago.

Armed with the exact program and version (listed above as 3.2.1), the post can either be Moved to the appropriate forum, or users here can provide more detailed help.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Would that be Lightroom 3.2 by any chance? I know they insist on calling it Photoshop Lightroom for some cryptic reason, but that's about the extent of the connection between them.

Anyway, the photos are not "in" the application (whichever one). They're sitting there on the HD where you put them, and unless the drive itself is dead you'll find them there.

What Lightroom does is to make a catalog, referencing their location on the drive, and also storing all your edits to the photos. So if the catalog is inaccessible, you lose your edits. But the files themselves are just fine.

There are ways to recover a catalog, depending on circumstances. So a little more info would be nice.

• 3. Re: HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Had not thought about Photoshop Lightroom. More to add to the list of the "usual suspects... "

Thanks for asking about that possibility.

Hunt

• 4. Re: HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.
                funnyface Level 1

Hi Bill

First let me say that I don't think I am the only one having this problem.The full name is Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2

It seems that this program has locked out hundreds of people. They are all having the same problem as me, but no one can seem to help us. All I keep hearing is that the pictures are on our hard drive. Thats fine but that doesn't help me to access them or move them to a different program so that I may enjoy looking at them.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 5. Re: HELP! My photos are being held captive. They are trapped in Adobe Photoshop 3.2 I can' access them.
                  Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

funnyface,

Photoshop Album has been discontinued for several years now, I recommend that folks find an alternative solution; you could try Picasa from Google, or the Windows built in photo gallery app; both essentially do what Starter Edition did, with respect to organizing photos for you.

You photos remain wherever you intially put them, on your hard drive (see more thorough description below). To get to them, you can navigate your file system using Windows Explorer. They are typically in your My Documents>My Pictures folder. Here is a handy How-To that you could refer to to find photos on your system, as well as some other tips for how you can use folders to keep your photos organized:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/find-a-picture-on-your-computer. Note that instructions might differ if your operating system differs; that info was not provided, so I can't be specific with help.

Some background about how Starter Edition worked:

It is a common misconception that Starter Edition 'stores', or copies, your files into it. But the program does not move or copy files at all, rather it scans your system's My Pictures directory, and generates miniature versions of your pictures (called thumbnails) so that you can browse a 'flat' list of thumbnails of your photos, overcoming the inconvenience of having to go into separate folders in Windows Explorer to have to find files. The thumbnails, as well as any tags, and Albums that you create in Starter Edition are all stored in the Photoshop Album catalog file, separate from your pictures, and your pictures remain where you originally copied them to your computer.

If you use Photoshop Album to subsequently download files from a digital camera or scanner, the default location where the program will create those files would be in the My Pictures>Digital Camera Photos folder. But if you do NOT use Photoshop Album Starter edition to download files from your camera, then you will find that folder empty.

Hope those tips help!