2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 2:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Exporting an .avi file as is in the project

trepiD27

I've added music to a .avi video file which I recorded on my computer using MSI AfterBurner.I've adjusted the audio and I'm happy with the way it sounds now.My question is how do I use the Publish and share options so that the file remains in the .avi file format, resolution etc i.e basically I want the output to look exactly as it does in playback.

This is whatt I have on my screen right now:http://gyazo.com/cd6432999e100d1e376b52a11ca09f33

And these are the settings I used to capture the video:It is 16:9 (853x480) resolution, 22FPS:http://gyazo.com/0a8937453732b4f48656c977bd823c48

• 1. Re: Exporting an .avi file as is in the project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the Frame Size and the Frame Rate (FPS) are non-video standard, so your choices will be very limited.

1. Is MSI AfterBurner a video screen-capture program?
          2. If so, that might explain the Frame Size, but why that 22 FPS?
          3. What is the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of the footage from MSI AfterBurner? I see that it shows as 16:9 Aspect Ratio, but I wonder about the shape/size of the actual pixels.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting an .avi file as is in the project
            A.T. Romano Level 7

trepiD27

Based on the MSI video properties that you present, it would appear that you imported in Premiere Elements 11 on some version of Windows

MotionJPEG.avi (720 x 480 16:9) with a frame rate of 22 progressive frames per second. Clearly your screenshot show 480p. If that is 480p 16:9, then the square pixels (1.0) would give you 854 x 480 pixels.

What did you or the program set as the project preset for this project whose Expert workspace you presented in screenshot.

If you do not know, then please tell us what is listed under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields appear to be grayed out).

I would probably have gone with the manual set of NTSC DV Widescreen, just to get the appropriate space in Edit area monitor for editing, ignoring frame rate if there is not going to be a frame by frame by frame edit of the Timeline content.

1. From the point of view of Video codec: You are not going to get a MotionJPEG.avi file from Premiere Elements (any version). However, I can tell you how to get a MotionJPEG.mov file exported from your Timeline.

2. There is no 22 frames per second (interlaced or progressive) in Premiere Elements (any version). Probably 24 frames per second would be the closest if there had to be a frame rate match between import and export.

You wrote of your goal

basically I want the output to look exactly as it does in playback.

There are two interpretations of that...

a. exact video properties...import vs export

b. same video quality at playback

The above a and b are not necessarily the same.

My first pass at this with "a"

Publish+Share

Computer

Microsoft AVI

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab,

For .avi file

Video Codec = Microsoft Video 1 or downloaded Lagarith Lossless or None (probably huge file)

Click on the box to the right of Width and Height to remove the chain link there.

Width = 854

Height = 480

Frame Rate = 24

Field Type = Progressive

Aspect = Square Pixels (1.0)

or

For .mov file

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTIme

with preset = NTSC DV 16:9

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab,

Video Codec = MotionJPEG A or B probably would do better with H.264

Click on the box to the right of Width and Height to remove the chain there

Width = 854

Height = 480

Frame Rate = 24

Field Type = Progressive

Aspect = Square Pixels (1.0)

Audio Tab...left for now on these. More on that later if necessary.

Please review and consider. We can fine tune as needed.

Thanks.

ATR