Why can't I scrub h.264

surffx Level 1

My current system is a

Windows 7 x64

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz

12 GB ddr3 Ram

And a Quadro 4000 vid card

I am using Premiere Pro 5.5

Shouldn’t this be enough to scrub though h.264 smoothly?

If it's not I will have to accept that.  But any suggestions on how to make it scrub smoother would be great.  Thanks for your advice in advance.

-Phil

• 1. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How many and what arrangement hard drives?

Only one drive will be very limiting

• 2. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
            surffx Level 1

John: thank you for asking that.

I have 4 1tb drives setup as raid 5 in a CineRaid enclosure connected via USB3.

I've considered that the drive setup might be the problem, however when I move one clip to the internal sata drive and import it into a new project, it does not scrub any better.

Should I have different results when i test with a file on the internal sata drive?

-Phil

• 3. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While do not support Premiere Pro BenchMark PPBM5 anymore just go to the site and download the benchmark for CS5.5 and run it and give us the results. 

surffx wrote:

John: thank you for asking that.

I have 4 1tb drives setup as raid 5 in a CineRaid enclosure connected via USB3.

I've considered that the drive setup might be the problem, however when I move one clip to the internal sata drive and import it into a new project, it does not scrub any better.

Should I have different results when i test with a file on the internal sata drive?

-Phil

1. Your motherboard does not support USB3.  Do you have a separate USB3 card?  If not, you have a big bottleneck in accessing your RAID 5
              2. You state "...when I move one clip to THE internal drive...." does this mean you only have one internal drive?  If so you have a serious Disk I/O problem.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 4. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
                surffx Level 1

Sweet, yes I will get those results to you this afternoon.

1.I never mentioned motherboard.  it is a ASUS P8B75-M which most certainly does support USB three so I am using the onboard usb3 port to connect the raid.

2. Yes there is only one internal dive.  If I was to set up more internal drives what should the config look like?  One for OS one for scratch?  or do you mean have the OS on raid 0?  Not sure how more than one internal drive will speed up scrubbing clips that are on an external raid would help. But you guys are the expert and I will trust whatever you think.

Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

H264 did not perform well with CS5.5 if it's Quicktime H264 files. CS6 and CC have far better performance even for H264 files in general.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Why can't I scrub h.264
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry I jumped to the conclusion as my i7-2600K does not have USB3.

Have you speed tested your RAID?  Not all USB3 connections and devices are not created equal

Eric's comments are probably the most valuable.

Moving the clip to your one and only internal drive is not a valuable test.  If your RAID is slow (probably not the case) putting you media on a seperate internal drive might have helped