20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 4:11 PM by A.T. Romano

Burned DVD to folder but no files were created

Bob Metzler Level 1

(Windows 7 64-bit) I completed a project and attempted to burn a disc (DVD) to folder.  All appeared normal during the compilation, etc, took a normal 15 minutes or so, Premiere Elements said it was done, but there were no files in the designated folder.  Quit & re-started Premiere Elements & tried again, same result.  Looked back through the 12 discs I've created recently & discovered one of those also empty.  Haven't re-installed Premiere Elements yet, that will be my next step.  Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have suggestions for trouble-shooting?

• 1. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" versions of Premiere) sometimes fixes odd errors

• 2. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
            Bob Metzler Level 1

I uninstalled and re-installed, same lack of DVD files.  I tried John T. Smith's suggestion of running PRE as Administrator, still no help.  Continued digging & found something that may help someone more experienced deduce what is happening.  A search for "myprojectname" led me to the Encoded Files folder, under which are the previous 12 projects that I was working on a few weeks ago.  All except the current troublesome folders there contain a sub-folder named Sequence 01 and each of these are empty.  My most recent project that failed to produce the files for a DVD has stuff in its Sequence folder:  specifically, a "DVD" sub-folder within which are four files--a myprojectname.prelEncodeComplete.tmp file of zero size, a Movie.xmp file of 4 kB, a Movie.ac3 file of 91 MB that QuickTime refuses to play, and a Movie.m2v file of 3.7 GB that QuickTime plays although apparently without audio.  Can someone deduce from the existence of these files & folders in my defective project what I'm doing wrong, or how I might correct it?

• 3. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

What version of Premiere Elements are you running on Windows 7 64 bit?

When you are in the burn dialog immediately before you hit the Burn button.

Folder.JPG

In the Quality Area, what does it show for Space Required and Bitrate? What is shown in the Folder Location field?

And, is your Presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD or NTSC Dolby DVD?

Please give the Space Required and Bitrate readings with and without a check mark next to "Fit Contents to available space".

Here I am assuming that you are doing Burn to: Folder (4.7 GB) for DVD choice. Are you doing, instead, Burn to Folder (4.7 GB) for the AVCHD choice?

How much free hard drive space is at the location that you have designated for the Save In:? Where is the Save In: location?

Are you giving the saved folder a distinctive name so that it is easily spotted in a group of other computer data?

If all of the above is by the "book", then uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall would be indicated. But, before it comes to that, let us delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (settings file) once we know with what Premiere Elements version you are working.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                Bob Metzler Level 1

And now I further discover that when I quit PRE, which was running when I made the previous observations, the files within the "DVD" sub-folder under Encoded Files/myproject.prel disappeared.  The "DVD"folder is still there.

• 5. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

I did not see your latest post with additional details until after I had posted.

A given is that you Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges, you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer, and that none of your Timeline content is protected.

Check for pile ups in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/X (which I hope you will tell us)

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder (preview files)

Media Cache Files Folder (conformed audio)

Also, check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and Media Cache Database for pile ups of conformed video.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                    Bob Metzler Level 1

I'm running PRE 12.0.  The Space Required shows 4.02 GB Bitrate at 8.00 Mbps, but I have un-checked the "Fit Contents to available space" and dragged the slider all the way to Highest Quality, where it shows the same values.  The disk that I'm using has 906 GB free space remaining.  This is on one of my internal hard drives for data, not the C:\ drive.  The Preset is NTSC_Dolby DVD.  I'm doing a bunch of projects (getting old analog home videos onto DVD), so each has a common name plus unique numeric portion--specifically, DVD 012, DVD 013, etc.  I'll try deleting the Prefs file but I did un-install & re-install an hour or two ago.

• 7. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

Let us go with deletion of the settings file. This some times resolves issues even if an uninstall/reinstall has not.

For Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If you are missing any Encoded Files Folder/Encoded Files, please double check the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk and Disc Encoding to see if it is still pointing to a Premiere Elements 12 location.

With those 4.7 GB/120 min DVD discs, in reality the capacity is 4.38 GB.

ATR

• 8. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                        Bob Metzler Level 1

I deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, which didn't help.  Then, deleted the entire 12.0 folder, again didn't help.  In the process, I noted something that seems strange; perhaps a byproduct of having deleted the entire folder.  Under C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Adobe are a Premiere Elements folder and a Premiere Elements 12.0 folder.  Both have sub-folders named 12.0.  The Premiere Elements 12.0\12.0 folder contains only a folder named "logs", which is dated today but is empty, and a "Trace Database.txt" file.  The Premiere Elements\12.0 folder contains subfolders "Layouts, logs, OLS, SC", and 14 files of several types, include the new Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that was presumably (re)generated after my deletion of the predecessor on my last attempt to burn to a folder.

Some answers to some of your previous questions:

1.  My Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files folder contains 26 files totalling 17.8 GB (this on a disk with 902 GB free space)

2.  The specific DVD folder under Previews that I'm having trouble with is empty, but so are about half the other 12 folders that all (except one) seem to have worked.  I get the impression that these Previews are created only when I deliberately force a manual rendering, which I don't always do.

3.  My Media Cache Files folder contains 236 files totalling 774 MB (on the same drive with 902 GB free).

4.  The Edit\Preferences\Media dialog is pointed to another folder on that same 902 GB-free drive & I think the settings are all Adobe default: 5.00 GB Cache size, all boxes checked.  The resulting Media Cache folder contains 132 files at 97.7 kB, the Thumbnail Cache folder has 1 file of 31.4 MB.

5.  I don't know what you mean by "pile-ups"; please explain.

6.  Under Libraries\Documents I don't have an Adobe folder; just three locked out from me (My Music, My Pictures, My Video) & two others that wouldn't appear to be related to Premiere.  Another level down under Libraries\Documents is Desktop which does have an Adobe Premiere Elements 12 folder, under that PRE 12 and ReadMe folders.  In the PRE 12 folder are 6 folders & 59 files.  The files are all dated 9/24/2013 & the folders yesterday; I'm guessing that this stuff all is related to yesterday's (re)installation.

Any further ideas will be gratefully accepted.  In the meantime, I think I'll start a new project & see if it burns a disc.  The presently-troublesome one was started several weeks ago, then set aside while I did other stuff, & when I came back I went through a "workflow learning curve" again (at my age, this happens) & may have screwed something up that Premiere can't deal with.

Bob

• 9. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                          Bob Metzler Level 1

I started another project from scratch (my next analog tapes, chronologically) & the disc burn to folder worked OK.  So, I think I screwed something up in my interrupted project & will go back & re-make that from scratch.  I may never know what was wrong.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

By the way, do you recommend always running Premiere as Administrator?  Is there a downside to that?  Do you recommend the same for other applications?

Bob

• 10. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

Great news about your new project. Continued success.

Running Premiere Elements from a User Account with Administrative Privileges has always been the case for it and Premiere Elements' required QuickTime. So, I see no downside, only likely problems if you do not. In some instances, it is possible that you will need to apply Run As Administrator as well as be working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. We ran into that for a Premiere Elements user with disc menu problems a while back.

As you say, the whys for the other project flaws may never surface. We could continue to explore more troubleshooting  possibilities, but it would probably be quicker to recreate the project from scratch. But, you wrote

I started another project from scratch (my next analog tapes, chronologically) & the disc burn to folder worked OK.

So this was a new project with new tapes?

If you went back to the old project which ended up with empty folder from burn to folder, made a copy of that project file, opened the copy, and worked from that, does the same burn to folder problem still exist?

Let us see what happens moving forward. The future may shed light on the past.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                              Bob Metzler Level 1

Just an update.  The new Project from the next-in-chronological-line analog tapes as source material, worked fine.  So, I copied down all the essentials of the Project that failed, then created a new Project and re-built as best I could the original, though I'm sure I'm off a few frames if not seconds in timing.  This one burned to folder fine, & I burned those files to an actual DVD just to be sure; the DVD was fine.  I went back to the one Project of the previous 12 from several weeks ago that had, unnoticed by me, not produced files to a folder.  Just to be sure, I ran it again & it failed again.  So, I re-built a replica from scratch & that one works fine.

Summary:  I had some unknown problems on two of my projects but re-doing from scratch gave me what I want.  It would be interesting to know what the cause was, & of course it may surface again, but I'm on to the rest of this huge project that will result in maybe 100 DVDs full of home video that I shot from about 1989 through 2003, when I decided I couldn't do justice to both video & stills & I'm primarily a stills photographer (gallery at www.bobmetzler.com).

Thanks again for your advice.

Bob

• 12. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

Thanks for the update.

Glad that you are moving forward with your new projects. Often in doing so information pops up which sheds light on the past whys which defied explanation.

Thanks for the links to your work. I have seen them before...wonderful photography.

Any further developments and if you have the time, please let us know.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 13. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                  Bob Metzler Level 1

Hung up again!

I succsessfully made five more DVDs after going back and re-making the two that had not worked initially.  Now, #19 of my project won't burn to a folder with a DVD menu in place.  After the first failure (repeated to be sure), I wondered if my large number of Scene Markers could be the cause.  I had 14 Scene Markers (more than any other of my projects so far), causing the disc menu to spill onto a third Scene Selection page.  So, I just deleted (reset) the Movie Menu--and PRE successfully made me a DVD to a folder.  Put the Movie Menu back on, no DVD files are made.  Removed two Scene Markers to bring the Scene Selection pages back to two, still won't make a DVD.  Deleted six more Scene Markers to get down to only one Scene Selection page, still no joy.  Tried a different disc menu template, still won't work.

For what it's worth, my disc menu template is a modification of PRE's Faux Widescreen.  I modified the files in Photoshop to remove the faux widescreen black bars top & bottom, changed the fonts, put my standardized disc title at the top.  This has all worked fine on 18 DVDs, so it's probably not relevant.

Any suggestions?

• 14. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Metzler

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been away for a few days, returned tonight, and am working on catching up.

14 Scene markers is not that great a number of menu markers, but....

a. check out the spacing of the Timeline menu markers

(this may have been ruled out by your testing with just one scene marker)

b. especially if you have customized the menus, look for button overlap

Also, did you look at the scenario where you had no scene markers which would left you just a main menu page? If so, did the burn to folder fail with just the main menu?

Looking at the issue from a different perspective, how long is this latest project? When you get to burn dialog and its Quality Area, what is the reading for Space Required as well as Bitrate and are you working there with a check mark next to Fit Contents to Available Space?

Also, consider a test run where you use the Adobe faux widescreen disc menu in this burn to folder project, "just in case" control.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                      Bob Metzler Level 1

My problem more and more seems to be menu-associated.  I'm now working on my 26th DVD of this project.  On my last several, I've had success by first doing a burn-to-folder with no markers nor menu and those have all worked.  A DVD with no menu is better than no DVD at all. 

Then, I've created markers, attached my slightly-customized menu template, and burned to disc again and so far they have all worked.  Earlier I had always added scene markers and menu template before the first attempt to burn-to-folder, then deleted the menu if that failed & this still didn't always give me DVD files.  Does this provoke any ideas? 

A few notes about my workflow, in case I'm doing something I shouldn't be.  Each DVD has a rolling text intro of about 20 seconds.  I normally create this first with a bit of dummy text, stretch from PRE's default 5 seconds to 20 seconds.  Then I bring a couple of .avi files into the Project Assets area, double-click and set the in and out points, drag them onto the Video 1 track (where the text is already located).  I bring the audio tracks up 6 dB to full scale.  If I have some filming-the-ground sections, I split the track and delete.  I review the entire movie at 4x speed.  I go back and replace the dummy text with some notes and a cast-of-characters & fade it in and out.  I fade out the last two seconds of the final clip.  I never deliberately do a manual Render except on the text track.  Lately, now, I do a burn-to-folder at this point, naming the DVD as "nomenu".  Assuming that this works, I go back and re-save the project under a "with menu" name (being optimistic), then add scene markers and a STOP marker, connect my menu template, do a preview to see that no buttons overlap & the jump-to-scene-markers all work OK, & initiate another burn-to-disc with "menu" as part of the filename.  My movies are all in the 58 minute to 1 hour 12 minute range.  I routinely un-check the automatic fit box & drag the quality slider the the right end; if I get an error message that it won't all fit, then I check the box.  (I'm guessing that I never need to un-check the box, PRE probably automatically runs at 8 Mbps if it will fit).

Clearly, this wastes another 20 minutes or so but it seems to be working.  Of course, this may not be cause-and-effect at all, just knocking on wood or wearing my lucky shirt.  Any insights or suggested diagnostics will be appreciate.

Bob

• 16. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

What is the stop marker doing in the Timeline and where is it?

ATR

• 17. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                          Bob Metzler Level 1

The stop marker is at the last frame on the timeline.  Do I not need a stop marker?

• 18. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

That may be the problem. It is classically a problem associated with failed burn to.

A stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline is not needed nor advisable. Only trouble.

As an aside, never put a stop marker anywhere in a Timeline destined for Blu-ray burn to. Stop markers in the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc do not function in the play back of the disc.

Looking forward to that outcome.

ATR

• 19. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                              Bob Metzler Level 1

Very encouraging!  On my current project, I skipped my workaround & went directly to scene markers (but no stop marker) & menu, then burned to folder & it worked!  Went back to the two projects that I had earlier failed to get a set of disc files with menus & thus had settled for a no-menu result.  In both cases, all I did was load the project, delete the stop marker, & burn, & both worked. 

So, three-for-three.  That's a very good percentage, but then the first eight projects worked even though all had stop markers, as did another dozen afterwards.  Maybe it also has something to do with the last section having been rendered prior to disc burning, which was probably not always the case.  Or, maybe a one-frame difference in placement of the stop marker relative to the last frame.  I don't intend to pursue that as long as it works to make them without stop markers.

A.T., thanks very much!  I'll update you again after I finish this phase.  I've still got about four DVDs-full of files from analog tape captures & plan to burn discs & design & print on them before I go on into the next phase of working with cassettes from my DV camcorder.

Best regards,

Bob

• 20. Re: Burned DVD to folder but no files were created
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

That was great news. So glad that stop marker deletion made the difference.

As always we will be looking forward to learning of your results when you get a chance.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR